Ford Inside News banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Ford Mustang: 435 Horsepower For The V8, 310 For The EcoBoost

Here are the official numbers, straight from Ford, "pending certification." For this sixth generation, the base 3.7-liter V6 model’s power rating drops from 305 hp to 300 hp. Torque holds steady at 280 lb-ft.

The GT, which uses a rowdier version of the outgoing 5.0-liter Coyote V8, now has 435 hp and 400 lb-ft of twist, up 15 hp and 10 lb-ft from its predecessor.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news...st-v6-gt?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1459_72569254

·
Registered
632 Posts
The hp bump for the 5.0 should more than make up for the small weight gain. Very curious to get an overall driving dynamic of the car, plus shameless hopes that another Mach 1 is coming....

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I'm curious if the V6's drop in power is just on paper to give the 2.3EB some breathing room or if not the reason. I realize the 2.3EB has more than just a few horsepower to set it above the V6 but this still reeks or a marketing move.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm curious if the V6's drop in power is just on paper to give the 2.3EB some breathing room or if not the reason. I realize the 2.3EB has more than just a few horsepower to set it above the V6 but this still reeks or a marketing move.
Definitely a marketing ploy to sell the 2.3. You need to have better specs to justify the premium cost of the 2.3. If they actually de-tuned the V6, shame on Ford. The Camaro already has 323 HP, so that would be a big step backwards in my opinion. If you look at the ordering guide, you can't get any good options with the V6 anymore. Not even a premium package. I don't think Ford wants to sell any V6's.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Definitely a marketing ploy to sell the 2.3. You need to have better specs to justify the premium cost of the 2.3. If they actually de-tuned the V6, shame on Ford. The Camaro already has 323 HP, so that would be a big step backwards in my opinion. If you look at the ordering guide, you can't get any good options with the V6 anymore. Not even a premium package. I don't think Ford wants to sell any V6's.
The thing is there are more to specs than just the HP line. The 2.3EB is a superior engine in every imaginable way and should be the non-V8 performance choice for anybody in that market so not having a V6 performance pack bothers me not. I would just be very surprised if anything other than the paper rating has changed on the V6.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The thing is there are more to specs than just the HP line. The 2.3EB is a superior engine in every imaginable way and should be the non-V8 performance choice for anybody in that market so not having a V6 performance pack bothers me not. I would just be very surprised if anything other than the paper rating has changed on the V6.
These numbers are supposed to be SAE certified numbers, if that is true, that means Ford actually de-tuned the V6.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's the right motor for the right chassis for the right time
1974 Mercury Capri V6 - won races beat BMW and Porsche
1982 Ford 5.0 - most horse for the dollar and was just 1 item away from the top (a 5-speed)
SVO Mustang - you didn't get the fastest but handle - wow and economy
Now the EB is here and good and, for a short while, the V6 is 'out'
Keep it for the sedate sedans, vans and crossovers.
However...
The big Ecoboost in the smallest is the old way and it's the best way
Focus ST with 335 hp can be done now. Not with the RS = that's marketing.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It surprizes me that the only other RWD application for the 3.7L V6 has been in their trucks and now Ford is dropping it in favor of the 3.5L V6; why didn't Ford do the same with the Mustang and use the slightly smaller, slightly more efficient V6? If they truly were pushing the V6 down and the EBI4 up, they would've made more sense all around. Also, I read that the 3.5L will be available in the next Edge but its power rating will drop to 265 hp while offering the 350 hp EB2.7LV6. I'm guessing that the drop of 10 hp in the new Mustang is due to single exhaust on V6 models. My guess is that the V6 will be religated to rental fleet models only in a year or two.

Still, my complaints are minor. I like that the 5.0L is up 15 in hp and 10 lbft, which gives it 9 less of the former and 20 more of the latter when compared to the Boss 302. I'll take the torque!

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
It surprizes me that the only other RWD application for the 3.7L V6 has been in their trucks and now Ford is dropping it in favor of the 3.5L V6; why didn't Ford do the same with the Mustang and use the slightly smaller, slightly more efficient V6? If they truly were pushing the V6 down and the EBI4 up, they would've made more sense all around. Also, I read that the 3.5L will be available in the next Edge but its power rating will drop to 265 hp while offering the 350 hp EB2.7LV6. I'm guessing that the drop of 10 hp in the new Mustang is due to single exhaust on V6 models. My guess is that the V6 will be religated to rental fleet models only in a year or two.

Still, my complaints are minor. I like that the 5.0L is up 15 in hp and 10 lbft, which gives it 9 less of the former and 20 more of the latter when compared to the Boss 302. I'll take the torque!
The truck shedding 700lbs is the main reason to allow a smaller more efficient 3.5L, which is the whole purpose of that engine. But going down significantly in Mustang might upset some. 5 hp is nothing. Nobody will ever notice that. But yeah, they were close enough they wanted to spread the I4 good will.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm surprised that Ford hasn't added direct injection to the naturally aspirated 3.5L and 3.7L V6s since it's on the Ecoboost version already. That would improve fuel economy while boosting power. The DI 3.5L would likely surpass the current 3.7L in power ratings.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I'm surprised that Ford hasn't added direct injection to the naturally aspirated 3.5L and 3.7L V6s since it's on the Ecoboost version already. That would improve fuel economy while boosting power. The DI 3.5L would likely surpass the current 3.7L in power ratings.
They did. At least in development engines and they saw little benefit, on top of large costs and negatives like DI noise, carbon deposits, sludging in the ports and even emissions was compromised. They made up for it in other ways with latest 3.5L through mostly just better flow, cam timing/events and vol-eff. And it's not just a matter of DI with or without turbo. Everything is optimized for GTDI, piston top, chamber design for flow vs tumble balance of boosted optimal stoic using better mixing through port design, unique intake manifold design, etc. Additionally, new emissions regulations right around the corner give DI engines quite the challenge. That is another reason Ford stayed away. GTDI does not have that problem.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Interesting, thanks. But why is it part of their Ecoboost systems then?

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Interesting, thanks. But why is it part of their Ecoboost systems then?
Boosting changes everything and when you add DI, it compounds the advantages, including lower emissions, better FE and more power.

DI by itself works, no doubt, and Ford still uses it in their 2.0L I4. But it is not a free lunch and not cheap to do.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The truck shedding 700lbs is the main reason to allow a smaller more efficient 3.7L, which is the whole purpose of that engine. But going down significantly in Mustang might upset some. 5 hp is nothing. Nobody will ever notice that. But yeah, they were close enough they wanted to spread the I4 good will.
Power ratings for the ecoboost are for premium 93 octane, while the report does not say the 3.7 requires premium fuel. Would the two engines put out almost identical numbers using the same octane?

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is the first thing I thought of when I learned that the 3.5L was replacing the 3.7L in the F-150. The Mustang is still lighter than the aluminum F-150. I'm thinking Ford just didn't want to spend ANY more money on V6 development and the V6 will disappear in a year or two at most. If you want any options on the 2015 Mustang, you have to step up to the Ecoboost.

Also, the 2015 V6 Mustang still gets dual exhaust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts