Ford Inside News banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Ed Hellwig
June 7, 2012

Last month we showed you a preview of the 2015 Ford Mustang. It's still a ways off from its official debut, but some Ford insiders have been dropping us hints about what to expect.

One of those hints suggested that the Mustang would finally move to an independent rear suspension after years of refining the straight-axle setup of the current model. Now we have the first photos of a Mustang test mule sporting an independent setup in back. Our suspension guru Dan Edmunds notes that it's clearly a multilink setup that uses what appears to be aluminum lower control arms, aluminum knuckles and a barely visible adjustable toe link. The upper links and any kind of forward links aren't clear in these photos.

This doesn't fully confirm an IRS for the next Mustang as Ford has toyed with the idea numerous times before and switched back at the last moment. But it does prove that it's on the table and this time we would be surprised if it get taken offer before production begins in 2014.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/06/2015-ford-mustang-mule-caught-testing-independent-rear-suspension.html

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
*IF* Fomoco brings out a Mustang-co-platformed Lincoln sportsedan+coupe(cabrio)...(as we all know they should/must)
&
if they want to have some SRA model(s) available for some Mustang fans...(as we all know they demand);

I wonder & imho if they do^
Could they have Mustang SRA & IRS as no cost options for the First Year ONLY
(and let everyone know that)
then judge if the numbers will let them keep offering the choice?
or
just have a "DRG" (drag) PKG?
or
Will they just switch to IRS completely from the get-go??

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

more pix:
Spied: 2015 Ford Mustang Test Mule Disguised as 2013 Mustang GT - MotorTrend
Jason Udy - June 7 2012 9:30 AM

...The lower rear fascia has been trimmed around the exhaust tips, which could indicate slightly different positioning of the rear mufflers due to a different powertrain or underbody structure. The bulging fuel filler door camouflage suggests a change to the vehicle’s hard points necessitating the relocation of the door...

...The A-pillar gauges also hint that Ford engineers may be monitoring engine vitals such as boost or vacuum pressure, or any number of engine parameters, which would be necessary for an all-new powertrain such as the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6. A gap between the roof panel and side panels filled with caulk or putty suggests structural differences above the greenhouse...

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Ford produces a Lincoln midsize or compact sedan from this platform, the sedan should have suicide doors. I think that will make Lincoln unique in the luxury market. The car will be like a mini Continental. I would probably called it either the Versailles or Cosmopolitan. That will never happen though. Oh well.:(

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ just imho
I'm still holding out for BOTH a 3-series-sized Mustang-co-platformed sportsedan & coupe(cabrio)
PLUS
a GRwdP Continental

tho frankly I'd be quite willing to for-go suicide/opera doors on either of them at this point
just as long as THEY GET BUILT!

oops/edit
I still like the sound of LINCOLN ZODIAC for the small ones
'starships' ya know

re-edit
one of MotorTrend's renderings has such a huge-long trunk
that I had to literally 'chop' it ;)
< clickety
and also did what's becoming 'my usual' too

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THis sounds like there is an MKR in our future...and maybe a longer, wider V-8 Continental Series...
Hopefully, there will but they need to give it a better name like Cosmopolitan. The Cosmopolitan actually had two different rooflines, one was a fastback and the other formal. The MKR was kind of like a Cosmopolitan but without the suicide doors.

Ford would have to develop a new large RWD platform for a Continental just like Cadillac is developing Omega. The Mustang platform would be too small for a flagship to rival a Rolls.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Cosmopolitan could work if Lincoln is to be a global Brand. The name meaning Known the world over or Sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world. Cosmopolitan is a perfect fit for Lincoln the way I see it. (once they have the right vehicles for the world of course)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ford just needs to realize the potential any Lincoln based mustang platform could have.
For one it would bring back rwd credibility, and sportier image if done right.:thumb:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Spy Photos: 2015 Ford Mustang - Insideline
By Mike Magrath, Features Editor | Published Aug 1, 2012

Just the Facts:
• The 2015 Ford Mustang continues testing an independent rear suspension.
• The new interior features a mutlifuction steering wheel and large control screen.
• MyFord Touch adds a new level of complication to the Mustang.

Inside Line says: With an independent rear suspension and a host of new tech features, the Mustang looks like it might finally go from retro pony coupe to modern sports car.

More...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
No more short stubby needles in the gauges finally... hopefully... I really hated when Ford Lincoln and Mercury were doing that the only one left is the Mustang that still has them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I wish the '13 Mustang hadn't done away with the other two analog secondary gauges. I do like the ones shown here with the temp and fuel gauges at the bottom of the speedo and tach; however, I really like it when instrument panels have a tach dead center with the redline at 12 o'clock and a digital speedo is at 3 o'clock, and then the smaller four secondary gauges flank the large tach/speedo. That way the engine speed and vehicle speed are right in front of the driver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts