1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason Siu
Aug 14, 6:20 PM
AutoGuide

When the 2015 Ford Mustang surfaces, not only will it feature an independent rear suspension and a turbocharged engine, it could weigh as much as 400 pounds less than the current model.

The current Ford Mustang V6 weighs in at 3,523 pounds with an automatic transmission and as the American automaker searches for ways to improve its sport car’s fuel efficiency, having the Mustang go on a diet is a main priority. According to a source close to the Mustang project, Ford is working on removing “a minimum of 400 pounds” for the next-generation ‘Stang.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
No way its going to lose 400 lbs. I would be surprised if it lost 200. 100 is probably more realistic.
I think their are refering the lose weight for the 4 cyl ecoboost compared with the current V8. In this case, 400 lbs is possible

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Leftlane News reports that: The source indicated that the 2015 Mustang will be about 15 inches shorter and 6.5 inches narrower than today's model.

With the current Mustang is coupe is 188" long and 73.9" wide(w/o mirrors), a 15" reduction in length and 6.5" reduction in width would bring it to 173" long and a width of 67.4".

By comparison, the Porsche Cayman is 172" long and 70" wide(w/0 mirrors). Porsche 611 is 176" and 71" wide(w/o mirrors)

With Ford going global with the Mustang, it seems they are also going after a much wider market.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I thought all these weight loss, significant size reduction rumors were already shot down. I think it would be great if true, but I'm not going to be the guy holding his breath.

·
Registered
607 Posts
This is gonna be a real street fight, boys and girls! The alpha Camaro verses the S197 Mustang! Both lighter, more agile, faster, better handling, etc. I can't wait to read the first comparo.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I think their are refering the lose weight for the 4 cyl ecoboost compared with the current V8. In this case, 400 lbs is possible
further thinking: imho 'advert-speak' could be: S550 EB4 = 400# lighter than the AVERAGE 2014my S197
&
It could be done if they use lighter materials for the interior, and use more alumimum for the body.
pretty sure I've read that some-parts/some-models of the S197 already use 'lighter' materials

&
re: size kerfuffle
Analysis: How big – or small – is the 2015 Mustang? - DrivingEnthusiast.net
July 15, 2013

"...Assumptions: we measured the brake rotors first, and working from there every other measurement fell exactly into place..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

if there's even a 1/4" increase in the front brake disc (or equivalent measurement error),
that would mean upto a 2 (TWO) INCH increase in wheelbase
and I refute practically anyone's ability to determine that small of a brake size difference
AND
for me (broken record) thinking the S550 will be so much LOWER is unrealistic (see RIParker's overlay below my chop)

920x660

thus using the S197 + 3/4-series dimensions and Evos (w) for
min wlb 109", ~185" ovl, 75"? w, 54-55" ht.
deltas= +2" ___ -3" ___ +1" ___ -½/1½"

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
saw another rumor/speculation/fever-dream/insider leak
that a 3rd bodystyle, COUPE, may be planned
&
it's my understanding that a true coupe-style CAN be built lighter
with a usually smaller rear window and structural bracing inherent in the design at the rear window base / trunklid

once again, this would provide a non-direct comparison for weight VS any S197

·
Registered
161 Posts
When we see the new mustang? Will there be a concept closer to a production version in either LA or Detroit?

Sounds like its going to be an amazing revolution for the iconic brand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not liking these rumors we're hearing about the new Mustang. If they're going to take 15" out of the length and 6.5" out of width, they're basically making it a small, compact, cramped 2 seater with a V8 option. Not what I think of when I think Mustang. If it is 400 lbs lighter, that's where the weight will come from. Massive downsizing. Not a good recipe. Just saying guys!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Having seen it, I concur it is "right sized" regardless of final dimensions. The interior looks about the same, with possibly less total volume due to lower roofline, although you sit lower too. Smarter packaging throughout most likely.

I think when you see it sitting next to a current camaro, it will only make that GM product look far more like the heavy pig it is.

Yup

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'm not liking these rumors we're hearing about the new Mustang. If they're going to take 15" out of the length and 6.5" out of width, they're basically making it a small, compact, cramped 2 seater with a V8 option. Not what I think of when I think Mustang. If it is 400 lbs lighter, that's where the weight will come from. Massive downsizing. Not a good recipe. Just saying guys!
Before anything else, guys, I don't believe the massive size reduction. It's so obvious that based on the spy photos, the next Mustang will still keep the same general proportions as the current model. If there will be a size reduction, I don't think it will be big.
The current Mustang is 188.1 inches long and 73.9 inches wide.

If the next gen Mustang is 15 inches shorter and 6.5 inches narrower than the current Mustang, that would mean it will be 173.1 inches long and 67.4 inches wide.

Do you know which Ford model has similar dimensions to that?
The Ford Fiesta Sedan!

Length: 173.5 in
Width: 67.8 in

Seriously, who thinks this new Mustang is slightly shorter and slightly narrower than a Fiesta sedan? :lmao:

Any chance the insider/source meant centimeters or millimeters and not inches? Hmmm.... :lmao:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^

that centimeters-for-inches idea occurred to me late last night, too, AM222
but
-- imho ~6" shorter maybe/tho still iffy
-- imho2 the S550 will be slightly wider, like Evos
-- imho3, the Evos, a showcar, is only 2.6" lower than the S197. Think that's the max-lower for the S550
+
there's no way the camo'ed prototype's shape/footprint is anything like a Fiesta, OR Focus
(btw the Fiesta & Focus are about 2½" TALLER than the S197. Squish them 5" down and they'd have no usable interior room)
(tho it *would* be interesting to see a video/pic with the S550 next to either of those)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^

that centimeters-for-inches idea occurred to me late last night, too, AM222
but
-- imho ~6" shorter maybe/tho still iffy
-- imho2 the S550 will be slightly wider, like Evos
-- imho3, the Evos, a showcar, is only 2.6" lower than the S197. Think that's the max-lower for the S550
+
there's no way the camo'ed prototype's shape/footprint is anything like a Fiesta, OR Focus
(btw the Fiesta & Focus are about 2½" TALLER than the S197. Squish them 5" down and they'd have no usable interior room)
(tho it *would* be interesting to see a video/pic with the S550 next to either of those)
Judging by the hood on the mules running around if they really did (and they did not) take 15" of length out of the S197 the car would have to be a two seater more in line with the Corvette. The fact that the mules have a back seat and real trunk make it clear that there is not way in **** that car is more than a few inches shorter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Judging by the hood on the mules running around if they really did (and they did not) take 15" of length out of the S197 the car would have to be a two seater more in line with the Corvette. The fact that the mules have a back seat and real trunk make it clear that there is not way in **** that car is more than a few inches shorter.
That all didn't make sense to me the longer I thought about it, the massive size reduction that is. That said I still don't believe it'll be 400 lbs lighter, maybe body-in-white will be, but I have a tough time believing the final product will be. I'd give it more around 200-300 lbs lighter, all in. Still significantly lighter than the Camaro, which even being a Chevy fan I readily admit it needs a big diet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
from ngiotta @ Mustang6g

as Melino said, "BRILLIANT!"
...min wlb 109", ~185" ovl, 75"? w, 54-55" ht.
deltas = +2" ___ -3" ___ +1" ___ -½/1½"

&
When we see the new mustang? Will there be a concept closer to a production version in either LA or Detroit?...
wish we knew, JBsC6
one problem is how vague the term "launch" is
(a frequent complaint of mine)
first showing? >>> Job1? >>> OnSale?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts