Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was recently vacationing in the Caribbean, and saw a really nice looking mid-sized truck. As it went past me (didn't get a chance to take a pic) I saw it was a Ranger!

I will tell you, this truck was IMO much nicer looking than the new GM twins.

I can't say that I'm a little surprised, it isn't sold here in North America? Why would that be?

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts

The 2015 Ranger does look nice.

With the Colorado/Canyon selling close to 6k units in December, and the Silverado and Sierra having their best sales month since forever, with the Silverado toping it's previous sales month by 7k units, it seems clear the midsize pick-ups are not hurting full size pick-up sales, but growing the GM overall truck marketshare.

Toyota as the current leader in midsize trucks is now trying harder to push into the full size truck market.

With the Ranger even being smaller than the Colorado/Canyon and Tacoma in some diminutional aspects, and the New 2015 F-150 now larger than the previous model, I expect Ford will launch the Ranger in the US for MY2016 later this year, after MY2015 F-150 is in full production at all plants.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
This looks better than any of the competitors vehicles. This would make a great Baby Raptor!
Exactly! This is the size the Raptor would be if Ford had a platform like this in NA to build it on. Running around a war zone in a huge Hummer is one thing, running around the wilderness in one is altogether more difficult. A Ranger based Raptor, that would hit the sweet spot IMO!

·
Registered
348 Posts
You guys realise there's not much difference in size between the F150-based Raptor and the Ranger? The latter's only slightly smaller, you would need your measuring sticks to see the difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can tell you, it looks pretty good in the pictures, but it looks fantastic in person!

Thanks for the explanation Bloggin, it sure would make sense to have that truck up here in NA

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You guys realise there's not much difference in size between the F150-based Raptor and the Ranger? The latter's only slightly smaller, you would need your measuring sticks to see the difference.
The Ranger is half a foot narrower than an F150, it's as wide as a Kuga/Escape. Noticeable smaller.
In terms of length, the 4-door crew cab Ranger is about as long as a short wheelbase 2-door regular cab F-150, if you do a comparison between 4-door crew cab models, the F-150 is still noticeably larger.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ford product managers have previously stated they don't see a market here for the Ranger (but maybe a smaller crossover-based truck). If their attitude changes than they would need significantly more time to redesign the T6 Ranger for the US market (as GM did with its trucks) and build them in the US. Chevy Silverado is also grabbing allot of marketshare from the void created by F-150 which is partially contributing to their growth so you can't look at the truck market right now until F-150 is in full swing.

You also have to remember that Ranger is diesel only, smaller than the competition, and much heavier. They basically need to start from scratch to be competitive, or settle for being a bit player with what they have in the US market. Doesn't seem worth it to me unless they can be the best at it, Trucks are everything to Ford.

In any case, I think it's abundantly clear that Ford has no plans for Ranger in the US and has a different map for it's truck lineup, and probably for good reason since they understand this market better than most.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
There are a few imported F150's here in Estonia, and it dwarfs the Ranger.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford product managers have previously stated they don't see a market here for the Ranger (but maybe a smaller crossover-based truck). If their attitude changes than they would need significantly more time to redesign the T6 Ranger for the US market (as GM did with its trucks) and build them in the US. Chevy Silverado is also grabbing allot of marketshare from the void created by F-150 which is partially contributing to their growth so you can't look at the truck market right now until F-150 is in full swing.

You also have to remember that Ranger is diesel only, smaller than the competition, and much heavier. They basically need to start from scratch to be competitive, or settle for being a bit player with what they have in the US market. Doesn't seem worth it to me unless they can be the best at it, Trucks are everything to Ford.

In any case, I think it's abundantly clear that Ford has no plans for Ranger in the US and has a different map for it's truck lineup, and probably for good reason since they understand this market better than most.
one solution: hire NEW Product Managers :nevreness:
&
yeah, my impression is the RotW Ranger needs a lot of work :angel

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Ford product managers have previously stated they don't see a market here for the Ranger (but maybe a smaller crossover-based truck). If their attitude changes than they would need significantly more time to redesign the T6 Ranger for the US market (as GM did with its trucks) and build them in the US.
one solution: hire NEW Product Managers :nevreness:
&
yeah, my impression is the RotW Ranger needs a lot of work :angel
I believe the current (pre-facelift) Ranger is already better engineered than the rest-of-the-world Colorado to begin with.
If Ford ever changes their minds on the Ranger and decides to sell it in the US, changes would probably be more on mandatory requirements (like reflectors, different headlight/bulb specs etc), trim, suspension tuning, and maybe different engine options just like any other global Ford model.
I read before that models like the T6 Ranger which got a 5-star safety rating at the EuroNCAP can be modified for the US if needed, Ford just thinks they don't need it now.

The facelifted Ranger also gets the new Everest's interior, so better materials and more modern styling.
Facelifted Ranger interior (spy photo)

Everest interior

The current Ranger is also available with a 2.5 liter Duratec for select markets and the its SUV-sibling, the new Everest has a 240hp 2.0 EcoBoost option which can easily drop into the identical engine bay of the Ranger. Obviously a 2.3 EcoBoost could easily fit too since its engine bay can accept longer engines like the 3.2 liter Inline-5 Duratorq diesel engine (US-spec version of this engine is found in the Transit where it's badged as a "Powerstroke" engine)

It's not unusual for Ford to add some engine options for specific markets, just look at the Transit Connect (imported) and full-size Transit for example.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
^...I still think the Ranger will make it to the U.S. to compete with the Tacoma, Colorado, GMC version and the new midsize trucks coming from Nissan and Honda for MY2016, and this early refresh is a good indication that it is happening.

Just think about it, the Global Ranger just launched in global markets in MY2014 and it's already being updated/upgraded for MY2016. Just try to find another Ford vehicle launched to global markets that is updated on a 2 year cycle. I think this update was to bring the truck more inline with what's being offered by the competition in the US to better compete with the increasing number of midsize pick-ups being launched. Especially since the 2015 F-150 just got larger by most every exterior dimension.

It's coming....

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Just think about it, the Global Ranger just launched in global markets in MY2014 and it's already being updated/upgraded for MY2016.
Production of the T6 Ranger began in 2011, i believe it had reached most global markets before the end of 2012.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Debut at the Aussie Auto Show October 2011, and I believe production started in Thailand sometime in 2012. European units come from Silverton assembly plant in Pretoria, South Africa, where assembly began September 3, 2012.

Ford Ranger is following the 3 year face lift time table.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I believe the current (pre-facelift) Ranger is already better engineered than the rest-of-the-world Colorado to begin with.
If Ford ever changes their minds on the Ranger and decides to sell it in the US, changes would probably be more on mandatory requirements (like reflectors, different headlight/bulb specs etc), trim, suspension tuning, and maybe different engine options just like any other global Ford model.
I read before that models like the T6 Ranger which got a 5-star safety rating at the EuroNCAP can be modified for the US if needed, Ford just thinks they don't need it now.

The facelifted Ranger also gets the new Everest's interior, so better materials and more modern styling.
Facelifted Ranger interior (spy photo)

Everest interior

The current Ranger is also available with a 2.5 liter Duratec for select markets and the its SUV-sibling, the new Everest has a 240hp 2.0 EcoBoost option which can easily drop into the identical engine bay of the Ranger. Obviously a 2.3 EcoBoost could easily fit too since its engine bay can accept longer engines like the 3.2 liter Inline-5 Duratorq diesel engine (US-spec version of this engine is found in the Transit where it's badged as a "Powerstroke" engine)

It's not unusual for Ford to add some engine options for specific markets, just look at the Transit Connect (imported) and full-size Transit for example.
I really would like to see the Ranger make a return to the USA and I definitely think it should. BTW those interiors look fantastic especially the Everest that's really sharp.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Debut at the Aussie Auto Show October 2011, and I believe production started in Thailand sometime in 2012. European units come from Silverton assembly plant in Pretoria, South Africa, where assembly began September 3, 2012.

Ford Ranger is following the 3 year face lift time table.
It made its global/Australian debut at the 2010 Australian International Motor Show (October 2010).
Link: http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2010/commercial/ford/ranger/aims-ranger-arrives-with-a-bang-22103

It made its ASEAN debut at the 2011 Bangkok International Motor Show (March 2011)
Link: http://paultan.org/2011/03/23/all-new-ford-ranger-gets-asean-debut-in-thailand-coming-to-malaysia-early-2012/

Production In Thailand
Job 1 Ceremony, September 28, 2011.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
AM222, thank you for the correction. I meant to write 2010 Australia auto show.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts