Ford Inside News banner

2015 Lincoln MKC First Drive: It's Surprisingly Not Bad

22K views 72 replies 18 participants last post by  DetroitBORG 
#1 ·
2015 Lincoln MKC First Drive: It's Surprisingly Not Bad

Based on a day of fun-road driving and a little time on a busy highway, I think the 2015 Lincoln MKC is a solid entrant in the still-exploding small luxury crossover segment. I'd love to see the company succeed, and I think they're on the right track to rebuilding their brand name.

While they're still trying to win the market over again, I'll bet the MKC will be offered with some pretty attractive lease rates and if you don't pick it up that way will make a solid used car pick in 2016.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-...isingly-sweet-small-1585822971/+matthardigree

a nice review for a Lincoln vehicle from Jalopnik! that is new!!

#10 ·
that "surprising" part might be playing off the recent Lincoln tv commercial
where a guy remarks that the Z-Hybrid not costing more than the base petrol version is "surprising"...

...tho that doesn't make the article any more ...umm... 'witty'

Sorry but he didn't have a Lincoln commercial in mind when he wrote the title.

Why couldn't he have said "It's surprisingly good" instead.

#11 ·
[POLL] Did Lincoln get its money's worth out of this deal?

POLL:
article said:
(Full disclosure: Lincoln wanted me to drive the MKC so bad they flew me out to Santa Barbara and put me up in an absurdly nice hotel I couldn't even afford to park near. But I'm also skipping sleep tonight to write this so I reckon any free booze-based biased I might have formed has dissolved.)
DID LINCOLN GET ITS MONEY'S WORTH OUT OF THIS ^DEAL?

[ ]
yeah
[ ] to boldly go where no Lincoln has gone before
[ ] LOL
[ ] meh
[ ] nope

[ ]

#15 ·
^ Thanks, LtCdr! :thumb:
I like that AutomobileMag review :joyous:

AutomobileMag said:
...The 2015 Lincoln MKC is not simply a rebodied Ford Escape Titanium, as we had feared. Lincoln apparently has studied the Volkswagen-Audi relationship well. The MKC is about the same length as the Escape and has the same wheelbase, though the front and rear tracks are each 0.9-inch wider. The only relevant differences in the chassis are shock tuning and the MKC’s continuously controlled dampers. Assembled in the same Louisville, Kentucky, plant as the Escape, the MKC has its own inspection line and standards. Tolerances will be “nominal” instead of “to spec.”...

...However, much of what we like about the new 2015 Lincoln MKC is optional... ...The base Premiere trim level doesn’t include the Bridge of Weir leather. While the middle Select does, the seats are not cooled unless you add the climate package. The Reserve...also includes voice-activated navigation and a panoramic vista roof...

...the 2015 Lincoln MKC steers, rides and handles better than you might expect from this segment. It’s not an anodyne, pampered-people mover like the larger Lexus RX or the Lincoln MKX (which will be replaced next year). With the suspension in Comfort mode and the transmission in D instead of S, the handling is cushy enough to be near the edge of wallowy, something we didn’t notice in the Normal suspension mode.

With the suspension in Sport, it’s not too stiff over California’s highways and two-lanes. The steering is quick and precise without being too twitchy for a tall-ish vehicle. Turn-in is fabulous, and pairs nicely with the 285-hp EcoBoost’s quick tip-in. Lag is only noticeable when you suddenly call for more power while trolling at 2500 rpm or so...

...The most striking thing about the 2015 Lincoln MKC is that thing you notice by its absence—noise. With its active noise cancellation, the compact Lincoln CUV is library quiet...

...the Lincoln MKC is a credible competitor for the Acura RDX, the larger Cadillac SRX, and quite possibly even the Audi Q5. Lincoln enters the hottest global automotive segment with an effort that ought to provide a few more rounds of beer for Lincoln designer and engineers.
Even came close to my "stonecold Base -or- full-tilt Loaded" complaint.
My only problem is the photos don't load on my puter
will hafta tru to remember to check it from the Library

#23 ·
"It's a legit Audi Q5 rival in the form we tested, and we're very curious to see how it matches up against the upcoming 2015 Lexus NX."

"It's assembled at the same Louisville, Kentucky, facility as the Escape (to some tighter standards, officials add), but it's also definitely no closer to the Escape than the Cadillac SRX is a Chevy Equinox."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.