Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Lincoln Navigator gets lots of updates, still not all-new [w/video]

If there's one brand that could really use some fresh, all-new product, it's Lincoln. The MKC crossover is on the way and looks promising, but the just-revealed 2015 model year update of its fullsize Navigator would appear to stop somewhere short of being "all-new." This, despite replacing a product that's been on the market since 2007. Oh sure, there's a brash new face, complete with the company's love or hate split-wing grille, and the revised rear-end treatment does look better to our eyes (if overly familiar). But in the era of the bold new all-aluminum Ford F-150, the Navigator is still based on the outgoing model's all-steel bones, so it's more of an extensive mid-cycle refresh than a completely new piece.

That's a shame, really, because the class the Navigator is playing in features a host of really modern, stylish, luxurious crossovers and sport utilities like the Cadillac Escalade, Land Rover Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz GL-Class and more. Unlike the F-150, there's no aluminum suit on this black-tie bruiser, but that's not to say it isn't bringing some new tech to the table in 2015. Under the hood, for example, is Ford's well-received 3.5-liter, twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6, putting out "at least" 370 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque. That's a solid engine, and should be a whole lot more spunky and efficient than the archaic 5.4-liter Triton V8 currently being employed in the outgoing model.

Read more:http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/06/2015-lincoln-navigator-chicago-2014/

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It truly saddens me to read these reviews, and to realize that there is two long years to wait for excellence for the Navigator. I expect an absolutely aspirational Aluminum Navigator in two years, and one that is class leading in every way.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The more negativity there is now, the greater the vindication in the end. I've seen this happen before, especially around Ford in the late 2000s. I'm sure it doesn't phase Lincoln and there is no defense needed.

The Navigator does some substantive improvements beyond the superficial, I bet people who buy these things will love them despite the dated bits of metal. And ultimately, if you're shopping for these things, real customers know what's important and will choose accordingly.

I actually like the new Navigator in many ways, but the dated platform does eliminate some valuable tech features available on other Lincolns and Fords (like adaptive cruise, lane keeping, adaptive park assist, proximity unlocking, foot-activated lift gate, 360 Degree cameras, vista roof, etc.). There just isn't much modernity in this vehicle, but it's not as archaic as it was last year. I'm actually surprised they included any electronic chassis controls in this vehicle, I didn't think it was bolt-on type stuff. So for me that's the true problem with the age of the vehicle, not necessarily the design which is generic enough.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
A parent company that truly held their luxury brand in high regard would not continue to subject them to half steps, and MCEs of already long in the tooth products. Would VW allow the A6 to wither on the vine, and then after it fell to the bottom of the class rush a half step MCE to fruition? I understand that more time is needed, and I understand that much is promised but when can I expect a Ford management that truly desires a notable Lincoln? It is no mystery that Mulally is not exactly Lincoln's biggest fan, and I wonder if his exit will change the way that Lincoln has been mismanaged?

It saddens me that Toyota, and Lexus have been known to pass off MCEs as all new cars but there marketing departments go into full swing to minimize the collateral damage. From product cadence to a general neglect of Lincoln this is the time to show the public that Lincoln represents excellence.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I smell dead horse that's been tenderized mercilessly.
I also heard that Alan Mullaly is not a big fan of lincoln but.that is outside info, wings you have a different opinionbecause.you are an insider so maybe this.is different?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Navigator will still be $10,000 cheaper than the Escalade, at least the Navigator has rear wheel independent suspension something the Escalade does not have. The 3rd row seats does not fold flat for something that will start at $72,000. Hopefully, they will make a black label edition with a few more luxury amenities that people would like. Before you know it the aluminum Navigator will arrive in two years time with the 10 speed tranny and that's where things will get interesting.

·
Registered
546 Posts
A parent company that truly held their luxury brand in high regard would not continue to subject them to half steps, and MCEs of already long in the tooth products. Would VW allow the A6 to wither on the vine, and then after it fell to the bottom of the class rush a half step MCE to fruition? I understand that more time is needed, and I understand that much is promised but when can I expect a Ford management that truly desires a notable Lincoln? It is no mystery that Mulally is not exactly Lincoln's biggest fan, and I wonder if his exit will change the way that Lincoln has been mismanaged?

It saddens me that Toyota, and Lexus have been known to pass off MCEs as all new cars but there marketing departments go into full swing to minimize the collateral damage. From product cadence to a general neglect of Lincoln this is the time to show the public that Lincoln represents excellence.

If VW had sold its A6 off to an Indian company they might. The issue is pretty clear here. Ford let Lincoln wither on the vine because Ford was pumping billions into LR/Jag/AM/Volvo. Ford purchased the "global" luxury brands because Lincoln did not have a global presence. So, Ford took the crap-heap financially and technologically bankrupt companies and turned them into world class competitors. They can do the same for Lincoln.

Ford is making the right moves. The F150 IS Ford's profit center. You spend what it takes to polish the crown jewel, which is taking a huge leap in a new direction. Then, all that crap you learned developing, amortized over 100s of thousands of trucks sold each year, can be efficiently utilized by Ford. My bet is Ford makes more alu vehicles in the first full year of F150 production than just about he rest of the aluminum bodied cars in the world extant.

So, focus on what is truly important (F150), get it right, then pass on all the hard earned goodies. Ford has the engineering to do right by Lincoln; that is clear. But throwing away cash to placate curmudgeons is not the answer. Back when Ford was leading the world in R&D I used to tell all my import loving friends that Ford was serious, smart, and motivated, that R&D is king. And you can't spend big on R&D when you aren't turning a profit. Take care of the profit centers, then expand into new arenas. The new F150 gives Ford technical expertise some time to focus elsewhere with its bold move.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have no idea why the fact that the Navigator which is in the same class, and has to sell for $10,000 less is being mentioned as a notable achievement.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Six notable changes to the 2015 Lincoln Navigator
Turbocharged, quieter, and meaner-looking.

Lincoln's update to the Navigator for the 2015 model year goes beyond a basic facelift, and the latest edition is sitting under the lights at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show. Don't discount the jumbo SUV's importance, either—the youngest, most affluent and loyal Lincoln shoppers buy Navigators.

Here are a few things they can expect.

1. So long, V8:

The sole powerplant is now Ford's excellent turbocharged, direct-injected Ecoboost 3.5-liter V6. That fires two cylinders, but hires more power. Lincoln claims peak horsepower above 370 and more than 430 lb-ft of torque. The old 5.4-liter V8 only made 310 horses. Now the Navigator has some genuine muscle with which to counter Caddy's 400-hp gorilla.

2. Drag racers welcome:

The Navigator's automatic transmission only has six speeds (an underwhelming count nowadays), but now can be mated to an optional 4.10 final drive ratio. If you live your life ten seconds at a time, you're in luck. Or, you know, if you want to tow a boat.

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/chicagoautoshow/2015-lincoln-navigator-reveal-6-changes#ixzz2savvyGLN

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I hope the guy in the video made a concerted effort to look so Pewee Herman-esk! He either has to beat the ladies off with a stick, or he spends his free time playing with his stick.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope the guy in the video made a concerted effort to look so Pewee Herman-esk! He either has to beat the ladies off with a stick, or he spends his free time playing with his stick.
hahahahahahahaha lol :lmao: he is weird

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Navigator will still be $10,000 cheaper than the Escalade, at least the Navigator has rear wheel independent suspension something the Escalade does not have. The 3rd row seats does not fold flat for something that will start at $72,000. Hopefully, they will make a black label edition with a few more luxury amenities that people would like. Before you know it the aluminum Navigator will arrive in two years time with the 10 speed tranny and that's where things will get interesting.
The 2015 Escalade's 3rd row does fold relatively flat (maybe not as flat as the Nav, but is considered flat). And the Nav is 10K cheaper because it is 10K lesser on a 7 year old platform. So the 10K price difference gives it an advantage to offset its aged platform & lesser content.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Today's Navi MSRP = $56,165 and I don't expect it to increase with freshening.
New Escalade MSRP = $71,695

Where do you guys get $10K difference?

For the difference in price, I can have a Navigator and a Fiesta.
So if you feel the lade price is justified, because of image and newer sheet metal and a bit more power.....go for it.
The Navigator has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of with this freshening, as in prepares a world class vehicle, contrary to the neverending belittlement of some.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today's Navi MSRP = $56,165 and I don't expect it to increase with freshening.
New Escalade MSRP = $71,695

Where do you guys get $10K difference?

For the difference in price, I can have a Navigator and a Fiesta.
So if you feel the lade price is justified, because of image and newer sheet metal and a bit more power.....go for it.
The Navigator has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of with this freshening, as in prepares a world class vehicle, contrary to the neverending belittlement of some.
the Navi can take the Escalade without a problema IMHO, What I would like to see is Lincoln using other Auto Shows for their debuts, IMHO Chicago Auto show is a small autoshow, come on, we only see the new Legacy and new Navi here....nothing else new just new versions of cars/trucks/suvs......ah and that "thing" from Chevrolet (van or minivan or whatever it is)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts