1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Mercedes C class moves upscale in features

Automotive News

December 16, 2013 - 12:01 am ET

Mercedes-Benz is moving the 2015 redesigned C-class sedan further upmarket and making it lighter, bigger and better equipped than its predecessor.

The new C class -- due in U.S. showrooms next fall -- will be more luxurious and positioned further away from the new entry-level CLA sedan.

The all-new, front-wheel-drive CLA is priced at $30,825, including destination. It went on sale in September.

To widen the gap between the vehicles, Mercedes-Benz has equipped the C class -- a sales heavyweight in the brand's global lineup -- with a more upscale interior and added optional driver assistance packages for 2015.

The styling is crisper with more angles and slippery lines, giving the car the appearance of a baby S class. It will be the first car in its segment to have an optional air suspension, Mercedes says.

“In all, the perceived quality of the new C-class feels like an upgrade to a higher class of travel,” Mercedes-Benz said in a statement.

Pricing for the 2015 model hasn’t been announced. Pricing on the 2014 C250 sport sedan begins at $36,725.

The 2015 C-class four-door model will be built at Mercedes-Benz’s factory in Vance, Ala.

Heavy competition

It will square off in a hotly contested segment -- compact luxury sedans -- that has grown 18 percent in the United States this year. The segment is led by the BMW 3 series, followed by the C class, Lexus ES, Infiniti G37 and Q60, new Cadillac ATS, and Audi A4.

Two all-wheel-drive models will be available initially in the United States -- the C300 4Matic with a 2.0-liter turbocharged direct-injection inline four-cylinder engine with 235 hp and 273 pounds-feet of torque, and the C400 4Matic with a 3.0-liter turbocharged direct-injection V-6 at 329 hp and 354 pounds-feet of torque.

They will be mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission.

The new C class is 220 pounds lighter, 3.7 inches longer and 1.6 inches wider than the current car and has increased luggage and cargo room.

It will be unveiled at the Detroit auto show in January.

Best-seller worldwide

The C class is the best-selling model worldwide for Mercedes-Benz. Since the current model was introduced in 2007, more than 2.4 million have been sold.

Through November, 81,022 C-class units have been sold in the United States, an increase of 10 percent over the same period last year. Also through November, 102,784 BMW 3-series sedans and 4-series coupes have been sold in the United States.

By expanding the C-class family, Mercedes hopes to gain a bigger share of the segment dominated by BMW.

The new sedan and coupe will be joined by an all-new convertible and a station wagon. The wagon isn’t expected to be sold in the United States.

Read more.....

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I would rather have this than the 2014 3-Series. Maybe because it looks like MB took some of the lines of the 3-Series and integrated them into their sleeker C-Class. And it works.

But it has me thinking of is what the new Lincoln small sport sedan will look like. The sharp creases of the MKZ and the rounded curves of the MKC, but with a lower and more aggressive stance.

Mercedes is keeping the same 108.7 inch RWD platform. Which is just 1.6 inches longer than the 2015 Mustang RWD platform wheelbase at 107.1 inches. Offered with a standard 2.0l EcoBoost, the new Lincoln MKE(?) would offer more base 4-cylinder hp power at 240hp/270 torque and 275/300, with another more powerful EcoBoost engine on the way, the new Lincoln MKE would be ready for the challenge.

So now that MB has played their hand, it's time for Lincoln to show what they have been working on.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The C-Class is a Mini-S-Class. The style is the same . Only the size is different. Very atractive car (i prefer the luxury version with the brigth grille) that will be a graet succes.

A Lincoln competitor based on the Mustang platform? Everybody are speaking about that.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Ok, I would rather have this than the 2014 3-Series. Maybe because it looks like MB took some of the lines of the 3-Series and integrated them into their sleeker C-Class. And it works.

But it has me thinking of is what the new Lincoln small sport sedan will look like. The sharp creases of the MKZ and the rounded curves of the MKC, but with a lower and more aggressive stance.

Mercedes is keeping the same 108.7 inch RWD platform. Which is just 1.6 inches longer than the 2015 Mustang RWD platform wheelbase at 107.1 inches. Offered with a standard 2.0l EcoBoost, the new Lincoln MKE(?) would offer more base 4-cylinder hp power at 240hp/270 torque and 275/300, with another more powerful EcoBoost engine on the way, the new Lincoln MKE would be ready for the challenge.

So now that MB has played their hand, it's time for Lincoln to show what they have been working on.
How confident are you about this small sedan for Lincoln?
Is this the unknown white space vehicle that Lincoln has planned in a few years in your opinion?

Ford already has a small luxury sedan in FWD. I think Lincoln’s cause would be much better served with a stylish V8 RWD LincStang, then a small sedan that steps right on the toes of the MKC and the Focus Titanium.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How confident are you about this small sedan for Lincoln?
Is this the unknown white space vehicle that Lincoln has planned in a few years in your opinion?

Ford already has a small luxury sedan in FWD. I think Lincoln’s cause would be much better served with a stylish V8 RWD LincStang, then a small sedan that steps right on the toes of the MKC and the Focus Titanium.
A 4-door sport sedan using a version of a RWD Mustang's platform is the idea.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
for a long time, I've been of the opinion that the German "compacts" would be the same size as our Mustang by the time the LincStang arrives
...it has me thinking of is what the new Lincoln small sport sedan will look like. The sharp creases of the MKZ and the rounded curves of the MKC, but with a lower and more aggressive stance.

Mercedes is keeping the same 108.7 inch RWD platform. Which is just 1.6 inches longer than the 2015 Mustang RWD platform wheelbase at 107.1 inches...
__ovl_____wlb_____W_____ht________
189.90 - 111.00 - 75.00 - 53.00 - LincStang Coupe
188.30 - 107.10 - 75.40 - 54.40 - Mustang S550
185.00 - 111.00 - 75.00 - 56.00 - LincStang SportSedan
184.49 - 111.81 - 71.26 - ????? - new MB C-class
182.60 - 110.60 - 71.90 - 53.60 - BMW 4 coupe
182.50 - 110.60 - 71.30 - 56.30 - BMW 3 sedan
180.80 - 108.70 - 69.70 - 56.30 - old MB C-Class

...Offered with a standard 2.0l EcoBoost, the new Lincoln MKE(?) would offer more base 4-cylinder hp power at 240hp/270 torque and 275/300, with another more powerful EcoBoost engine on the way, the new Lincoln MKE would be ready for the challenge...
I'm seeing the LincStang placed ABOVE the base C/3/ATS
so AT FIRST & in the U.S.
I might go with a Nano 2.7EBv6 (with small front electrics for Awd) as the base model

edit/OH!
about using my "MKE" for the LincStang...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Lincoln won’t do that.
They already have a mid and large sedan.
What they DON’T have is a stylish performance coupe/convertible.
Doing it 4-door would involve more R&D cost, and probably wouldn't give Lincoln the attention or profit per sale that the coupe would. It would also delay it by who knows how long!
A Lincoln on the Mustang platform could allow the designers to go a whole new direction. It would do more for Lincoln's image, and as Wings said...it lets them offer a convertible, which would really stoke the fires at Lincoln.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
just-imhos
-- a (relatively-)compact sedan is every bit as important as a 2-door... ....and is even Part of the Price of being a serious Lux Brand!! = The Highest Volume Lux Segment
-- I have very mixed feelings about a convertible and even a bit about an "ordinary" coupe - don't want anything that could be "the exact same bodystyle" as the Mustang itself - that's why I usually have said coupe-cabrio (hard'vert) for LincStang, tho really just some kind of openable all-weather top STD(at least At First)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts