Ford Inside News banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't care if they make a sub-300 horsepower version. In a car this light, they could seriously just make the base model a "Mustang ST" and offer it as an alternative to the Focus ST. The Europhile Motortrend types LOVE the Focus ST, so I think tying the Mustang to that would be the perfect blend of refined compact-ish performance and classic Americana. I don't care. Make it. I may buy one. I'd drive a 4 cylinder turbo Mustang.

My problem is if they start calling the overall package... European, or global, or something.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Just curious why some don't want to share the glory and tradition that is Mustang with the rest of the world.
Why deprive them. Remember how badly we craved a performance Focus like Eu had? I bet they crave Mustang even more than that, which has far more legacy.

I say let them enjoy it just as we have.
And Ford is not changing the name or flavor of it, other than to offer a more fuel efficient turbo 4.
We will enjoy that as well

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The secretary special is as much a part of Mustangs history as the GT, Boss, Mach I, Shelbys and all the other performance varieties. The current car is the first in its history not to offer such a car with the V6 offering 300+ HP.

Reasons to want a 4 cylinder 'Stang in the lineup:
1. Lower the cost of entry
2. Broaden the potential market
3. Modern 4 cylinders make power that will embarrass Fox body drivers! And we all loved the Fox 5.0s!
4. Gas prices are not going down... ever.
5. Todays youth have been raised hot rodding FWD, 4 cylinder, economy cars. Imagine what they'll do with this!!
6. Combine a couple hundred pound weight loss, IRS, and a 2.3EB putting out 350hp (before mods) and you'll likely have the best driving 'Stang ever!
7. The increased sales volume will further enable Ford to invest in the engines 4 cylinder haters want, hipo sixes and eights!

Reason to not want a 4 cylinder 'Stang in the lineup:
1. You're a fool.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Best part of a ~300hp turbo 4, is that it will get around 35mpg hwy while being fast and fun to drive. And certainly far more than current 3.7L in the city too.

Throw some suspension goodies on it and it could always be SVO like.
I love the idea.
And then, think about how easy and affordable it would be to boost it for more performance, let's say over 400hp.

To heck with V8 sound if you are beating camaro's with a 4 cylinder for cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the great info wingsnut :thumb: We'll take whatever crumbs we can get right now on the mysterious '15 stang :)

And I agree with you guys about the I4 trim. It makes perfect sense along with its new design.
New mustang with modern styling will be a big hit with younger buyers.

And offering a performance package specifically for the 4-cyl could be the best way to give enthusiasts comfort that the mustang isn't going all-Eco.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just curious why some don't want to share the glory and tradition that is Mustang with the rest of the world.
Why deprive them. Remember how badly we craved a performance Focus like Eu had? I bet they crave Mustang even more than that, which has far more legacy.

I say let them enjoy it just as we have.
And Ford is not changing the name or flavor of it, other than to offer a more fuel efficient turbo 4.
We will enjoy that as well
I do want to share it with the rest of the world.

What I don't want to see is them changing the formula, changing the product, just to chase a few hundred units in Australia and Europe.

The Mustang is supposed to be flawed. It is supposed to offend some people. It is supposed to make girls say either "that's hot" or "eww." It isn't for everyone.

And that's why it's awesome.

·
Registered
348 Posts
just saw this (don't want to say where or from whom)

S550 is a shortened large rwd platform, apparently.
/QUOTE
From what I can gather the source for this has been right on other things so I wouldn't doubt it straight off the bat. Other commonalities S550 has with a certain "large rwd" are said to exist, so I wouldn't dismiss the above. It's actually why I posted it. In fact it makes a lot more sense - if viewed in the hope Ford/Lincoln don't want to be the only Motor Company that don't have a flagship RWD, V8 powered saloon.

Not many outside of Ford know what this exact platform is - and I won't claim that I do - and what other plans/models Ford want to make of it. Bare also in mind it's One Ford's habit these days of maximising the most from any platform, so, if I were to refute the above it would have to be based on something quite solid.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I noticed that the side rear windows are almost identically shaped as the '05 & up ones, unless that's just a reuse for the mule. I prefer the ones that connect with the door glass like the '69 & '70 IIRC. I would love it if they would roll down too, but with crash standards being what they are that's probably unlikely, I guess.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imho we still haven't seen a complete prototype, ie camo over ALL the new sheetmetal

"history is written by the winners" except:
this story can&will vary by business group. As we've seen before, news in the U.S. will say it was "made in Detroit", news down under claim Ozzies did it,
and WE will never know the whole truth (esp with a OneFord smokescreen).

since imho the S550 could be wider than S197, MIMICKING THE EVOS, I thought a Falcon connection is possible BUT checked: the Falcon isn't any wider than the Mustang.

imho
if we get sizes of Rwd cars other than pony-sized: AU
if they need another** platform/variant: flattened S197...
edit
...I could almost believe the S550 is just all-new because they down-sized-by-lowering the whole car (+ the RHD and IRS) and they're TRYING to make it (look) as close to an updated current Mustang as the new flexibility allows -- but which would easily allow for a dramatic styling change later ... so kind of a 3 part newness: 1st just chassis, then new engineS, finally mind-blowing new styling about 2020

** maybe my modularized CD4+rwd?

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, Suziebob, as I recall,
it certainly didn't start out that way;
creating the pony-car segment whose popularity was 2nd only to blue jeans
It's a different world.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The days of Long, Low, Wide (and V-8's) from the '50's unfortunately are over.

A 60's renaissance wouldn't be a bad idea. Vehicles these days are too roundy/Asian looking so you have a hard time identifying what vehicles they are. Cars today all look similar. You could tell what any 60's vehicle was by the styling. Big, bold and America rules. Styling was also clean and crisp.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts