Ford Inside News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

First Ride Proves This Is No Gussied-Up Audi Q5

The misinformation first started back in May of 2007 – more than six years ago – when word came that Porsche was developing a compact utility vehicle to fill out its product line. Rumors swirled that the German automaker's future "Roxster" would be based on the then-upcoming Audi Q5. By September of 2010, the name had changed to "Cajun," but the vehicle was still expected to be "based heavily on the Audi Q5," said reports in the months that followed. One year later, the first test mules were spotted, the mechanics hidden beneath barely disguised Audi sheetmetal, which did nothing to give the upcoming model its own identity. And even after Porsche announced "Macan" as the vehicle's production name in early 2012, articles stated that it would "arrive on the same chassis as the Audi Q5, though with suspension, brake and engine tweaks suitable to the Porsche range."

It's no wonder that most still consider the all-new Porsche Macan nothing more than a heavily massaged Q5.

To help lift some of the mystery surrounding its latest release, Porsche hosted us in Germany for an in-depth look at its new crossover (while Europeans call it a "sport utility," its car platform allows us to call it a proper CUV). The technology workshop offered us insight to the design and mechanical execution, and it concluded with a short test ride. The trip was both enlightening and educational – and it left us with a whole new perspective on the Macan.

The Porsche Macan is built on the Modular Longitudinal Platform (MLP) proliferating throughout the Volkswagen Group. It's an architecture currently shared with the Audi A5, A6, A7, A8 and Q5. Its performance-oriented architecture allows a longitudinally mounted engine with a differential in front of the clutch for better weight distribution. While Volkswagen offers its scalable MLP in many lengths, the Macan rides on a 110.5-inch wheelbase, which is identical to the Audi Q5.

The Macan S is about 300 pounds lighter than the SQ5.
Physically speaking, the Macan is nearly two inches shorter in height (63.9 vs. 65.2) but nearly two inches longer in length (184.3 vs. 182.6) than the Audi. Side-by-side, the Porsche has broader shoulders to cover its nearly two-inch-wider track (65.2 vs. 63.7) and in terms of overall mass, the Macan S is about 300 pounds lighter than the SQ5 (4,112 vs. 4,409).

As expected from platform-sharing cousins, the pan (floor stamping) and firewall are common. The basic suspension architecture, power steering unit and rear brakes are also shared, but each has been modified by Porsche for its new role. Aside from those major components, and the standard hidden-from-view electrical and mechanical subsystems shared with other vehicles in the VW Group, nearly everything else on the Macan is unique.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/06/2015-porsche-macan-deep-dive-first-ride-review/

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MKX will offer competition for this with a high perf nano V6.
the MKX will be a good competitor for this Macan, specially with the nano :angel (2.7l or 2.9) I guess the 2.3l I4 ecoboost of the MKC will be the base engine with a Nano V6 as a more powerful option and maybe as a performance model too

·
Registered
428 Posts
^^ On performance? Hmm I don't think so. I might be and hope to be wrong , but Porsche doesn't play when it comes to performance. Rumor has it that Audi thought that Porsche was just going to change the body but when Porsche engineers saw the Audi platform they laughed to death and changed almost everything. You know how mad Audi engineers were right?

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
^^ On performance? Hmm I don't think so. I might be and hope to be wrong , but Porsche doesn't play when it comes to performance. Rumor has it that Audi thought that Porsche was just going to change the body but when Porsche engineers saw the Audi platform they laughed to death and changed almost everything. You know how mad Audi engineers were right?
weeellllll, when I say offers competition, I use that term loosely. Sure the Porsche will offer more performance, but it will offer near double the price as well.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe not a competitor for the macan turbo, maybe for the standard model......the competition for the MKX is the SRX,Q5,X3,GLK

·
Registered
428 Posts
maybe not a competitor for the macan turbo, maybe for the standard model......the competition for the MKX is the SRX,Q5,X3,GLK
Well the SRX is long in the tooth, GLK is not good, X3 has a good powertrain but it has boring interior and exterior and price can climb quickly, and although the Q5 is very good, it's long due for replacement. Lincoln can benefit from this because the options in the segment are not that great right now.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True. Will a Lincoln concept of the MKX appear at Detroit?
I think we are not going to see a MKX concept because it looks to close to the MKC

Well the SRX is long in the tooth, GLK is not good, X3 has a good powertrain but it has boring interior and exterior and price can climb quickly, and although the Q5 is very good, it's long due for replacement. Lincoln can benefit from this because the options in the segment are not that great right now.
agree, Lincoln can take advantage of this

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not a fan of CUV s or SUVs yet this Macan is pretty cool.

(I usually prefer sedans as family vehicles but this new Porsche CUV is kind of cool)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I try not to be a nit-picker, but I really don't like the front fender cut line between the front wheel and the door. They really should have made the fender go all the way down to the bottom in one piece.

Otherwise, tidy design, very coherent with the Porsche lineup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts