Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Volkswagen Passat for Europe: Check it Out in 65 Photos and Videos

W's best way of describing the new 2015 Passat for Europe and other places around the world is a "premium class car without premium costs". In other words, the Germans want to extend their reach over to more premium offerings like the BMW 3-Series, Mercedes C-Class and even sister company Audi's A4, all while continuing to challenge mainstream rivals such as the Ford Mondeo and Peugeot 508.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/2015-volkswagen-passat-for-europe-check.html

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
It really does not look like it changed much. But this is for the European market anyway, at least for the next few years. So VW thinks trying to go more upmarket 'between' base and luxury brands will give the Passat more attention.

Unfortunately this is what it has to compete with from Ford....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The Ford Mondeo receives the same Lincoln IP in the MKZ & MKC. It's likely that Ford developed that dash for the Fusion/Mondeo but gave Lincoln the exclusive in the US. Ford/Lincoln badly need a new system, they are falling so far behind now.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
It really does not look like it changed much. But this is for the European market anyway, at least for the next few years. So VW thinks trying to go more upmarket 'between' base and luxury brands will give the Passat more attention.

Unfortunately this is what it has to compete with from Ford....

Clearly, the Mondeo will be the winner...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I think this is the most interesting part of the new Passat....
Volkswagen's engineers were able to shave off up to 85 kg (188 lbs), with the lightest model tipping the scales at just 1,312 kg (2,892 lbs).
-WCF
The base Passat engine by the way is a 1.4 TSi

For comparison:
2013 Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost hatchback Manual Transmission, curb weight: 1,279 kg (2,814 lbs)
2013 Ford Focus 1.6 EcoBoost hatchback Manual Transmission, curb weight: 1,333 kg (2,933 lbs)
2014 Ford Fusion 1.6 EcoBoost Manual Transmission (discontinued), curb weight: 1,512 kg (3,333 lbs)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Lincoln needs something like this:

instead of
In 99% of driving situations a tach is just taking up space. They should add an optional setting where the left two thirds of the screen displays the GPS when you want it and a tach when you need it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
In 99% of driving situations a tach is just taking up space. They should add an optional setting where the left two thirds of the screen displays the GPS when you want it and a tach when you need it.
No thank you. I am so glad the Mondeo is not sharing the Fusions driver display.
You can have the electronic settings on your side of the pond thank you very much.
A proper rpm and speedo is much better looking IMO then the electronic stuff.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
No thank you. I am so glad the Mondeo is not sharing the Fusions driver display.
You can have the electronic settings on your side of the pond thank you very much.
Agreed. Lincoln needs to use caution when going too high tech a look on their display. It needs too look mostly modernistic, but with a timeless & classy look as well. It won't be easy. I think the MKC gets that pretty close. And from what I have seen of the new MKS, it really hits those priorities pretty good.

BTW, heard some info on the new MKS that will make many here happy, and no, they are not switching it suddenly to RWD, although RWD is certainly in their future.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I wasn't suggesting it was my preference, only that if they're going all digital then it should be programmable to the drivers needs.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ as said elsewhere,
DubDub has lost their fahrfigNewton (or sumthin like that)
:tongue:

I wasn't suggesting it was my preference, only that if they're going all digital then it should be programmable to the drivers needs.
since I'm one of those ranting for HUD
guess I don't have the right to demand a "real" speedo gauge...

...but I will anyway http://home.surfree.com/~pauld/bliss.gif

tho that's prolley the only "real" gauge I'd want

but
what I want to use a Fully Programmable Driver/Car Interface for
is to be able to have my own settings for How/When/HowMuch/etc a bunch of things work
like HLs & wipers & intelligent-suspension AND TRANSMISSION & when my hybrids batteries hold-back or drain themselves dry & LOTS o' other stuff
which
I don't want to have what an engineer thought'd be best for the average driver
&
NO, EVERY (avg) driver wouldN'T have to fiddle with it...
even the Millenials could download a "skin" or have their "besty"-or-"beeb" share theirs

disclaimer: Very grumpy - somewhere betwn depressed and pissed-in-general

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts