1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nora Naughton
Automotive News
June 3, 2015 - 4:19 pm ET

DETROIT -- American Honda, poised to redesign nearly all of its nameplates through the 2019 model year, is likely to gain U.S. market share in the next four years, according to the annual “Car Wars” report from Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

Honda is expected to redesign an average of 24 percent of its nameplates each year from the 2016 through 2019 model years, the report says, meaning that 96 percent of the company’s portfolio will have been redesigned by the end of the period.

By contrast, the industry overall is expected to redesign an average of 20 percent of its nameplates each year through the 2019 model year. The result, the report concludes, is that Honda’s market share and profitability should rise through the 2019 model year.

“Honda really is the big winner as we look at this year’s study,” Bank of America’s U.S. auto analyst, John Murphy, told journalists on Wednesday at an Automotive Press Association lunch. “When you look at their product portfolio, basically everything will be relaunched in the next four years.”

After a brief lull in product redesigns during the 2014 and 2015 model years, the report says, Honda is expected to pick up its cadence. The automaker’s market share was 9.3 percent at the end of 2014, but slipped to 8.8 percent through May this year. The report says Honda’s market share will increase as it picks up the pace of vehicle redesigns

continued: http://www.autonews.com/article/20150603/OEM04/150609934/american-honda-big-winner-in-annual-car-wars-report

annual "car wars" pdf file: http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA9986163.PDF

Ford along with Lincoln starts on page 21. The long rumored Lincstang is mentioned for 2017.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: American Honda 'big winner' in annual 'Car Wars' report

Don't they realize the Edge is already out as a 2015 model? Not sure why it's on the 2016 list here.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts

Now we have a clearer plan for new Lincoln models!

2015: 2016 MKX
2016: 2017 Lincoln Continental
2017: 2017 Lincoln Navigator, 2017 Lincoln MKM - Coupe(sports car platform)
2018: 2018 Lincoln MKA - Sedan(new c-segment platform)
2019: 2019 Lincoln Aviator, New Lincoln MKZ

Since these are New or Redesigned models, the MKC refresh is not there, and there is no MKT and no MKS.

Lincoln will be looking good by 2020

Cars:
MKA - sedan (c-segment)
MKM - coupe (performance)
MKZ - sedan
Continental - large sedan

SUV:
MKC - (c-segment CUV)
MKX - (midsize CUV)
Aviator - (large CUV)
Navigator - (large SUV)

Dropping MKT and MKS.

Looking at the Ford brand, the 2017 Escape and 2017 Fusion refresh should augment the New 2017 Expedition and Super Duty launch. 2018 will be big for Escape and Focus, but what's missing the Focus Hatch? It seems the Focus will grow in size like it's competition and become a sedan only. While the Fiesta also grows and offers the sedan and hatch....at least for the US. Maybe we will get the Focus ST and RS as an import from Europe.

2019 brings a New c-segment CUV that's not the Escape. With each model getting bigger. I expect the Escape to grow in size in 2018 making space for a new cuv right below. Which also makes space for the New C-Max small CUV, which could be Ford's new dedicated hybrid vehicle.

This report seems to be the most complete to date, as it lists so many new Lincoln models that Lincoln won't talk about.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based off the list if it is accurate, Lincoln will be debuting a new Navigator and coupe sometime next year after the Continental for them to be considered 2017 models.

Has anyone ever looked at the previous annual reports to see if they came true?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

How accurate can we be sure this is? Is this legit?

Also I really hope Lincoln doesn't name anything MKM or MKA. Particularly MKM. Yucko! But if the product is good, I'll be happy. Gimme a 'vert option and I could see my DD down the road next to my current Mustang, and '48 with my future FoRS or MKCBL.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
^ yup

early 2016 = Conti & Z-mce
late 2016 = aluminNavi

Other than listing the MKC as a sedan, but got the right year on the last report. 2016 has many updates on the new report, but Ford/Lincoln did have quite a few plan changes. So I could consider the information accurate......except maybe for the exclusion of the Focus Hatch which is the best looking Focus.

·
Registered
358 Posts
They do guess a lot of times on the names of new models. They did list what would ultimately become the MKC as the MKD. What they thought would be the MKC now appears as the MKA in 2018. Ford also opted to do a refreshed Explorer (and push back the Lincoln variant) instead of doing the all-new model for 2016. I'd say their chart is about 90% accurate if you allow for a year slippage and name changes. If you take it at face value, it's under 50%.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
old CarWars .pdf

related(?) thread

I'm rushing to get out the door....
added vehicle charts from OLD 2013-16 .pdf
( redone )

my broken record:
imho the "MKM" and "MKA" should be 2 versions of the same car, based on the S550 platform

ALSO
has anyone else been getting a LOT of "Fordinsidenews is not responding" errors today??
:facepalm:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
American Honda, poised to redesign nearly all of its nameplates through the 2019 model year...
Blah blah blah, I always find these statements so silly, all manufacturers are constantly revamping their lineups. As a new Honda comes out, another one is getting older. Sure, some manufacturers are faster at redoing their models than others, but there's a constant, never-ending ebb and flow, so making it sound like Honda is onto some brilliant scheme here is laughable.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As a former subscriber of Automotive News for almost 20 years, those lists aren't very accurate. In the early 2000's, for several years, Automotive News' future car list had a Ford Fairlane RWD mid size car based upon the Lincoln LS. Needless to say, that never happened. Putting too much faith in those lists is a mistake. Anyway, I don't notice any comments from some of you about no Taurus on that list.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I didn't see a replacement for the Flex on the list, but then again the replacement for the Explorer is not until 2019. Explorer riding on that platform just got a refresh for 2016, Flex had a refresh back in 2013, which means it, just like the Explorer, could be due for another major refresh, riding out the platform that continues on until 2019 or so when it's renewed.

Remember: Flex is a high profit $40k+ model for Ford, thats just 380 units from outselling the MKC YTD. Flex, with a loyal customer base, is also the #2 selling 7-passenger SUV in the largest market in the US....CA. Which would mean a MY2017 refresh is on the way. And would look at the Explorer refresh to see what should be coming to the Flex.

·
Registered
436 Posts
MKA & MKM I sure hope not. Those names sound awful.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could Aviator, Not Continental, Begin the End of Lincoln’s Alphabet Soup Naming Scheme?
By Mark Stevenson on June 4, 2015

If rumors prove true, Lincoln could end its love affair with MK alphabet soup names with a new Aviator based upon the new Ford Explorer.

According to a second-hand source, TTAC has been told Ford engineers are working on a project internally called ‘Aviator’ based on the new Explorer. The source also stated there will not be a next-generation Ford Flex and will kill off the Lincoln MKT in the process.

A switch to the Aviator name, supported by recent trademark filings for the name, could be the first in many name changes at Lincoln. In April, Ford President of the Americas Joe Hinrichs said he was “very excited about the Continental name and the attention it’s gotten.” However, it could be the Aviator – not the Continental – to get the name change ball rolling.

In addition to the Aviator information, our source also stated the next Expedition and Navigator would get the 10-speed automatic transmission and an all aluminum body, making the full-size SUVs more efficient and lighter than their key competitors at General Motors.

In an email, Stéphane Cesareo, spokesman for Lincoln, said, “We do not comment on speculation. MKT continues to be present in our lineup, with a new model in 2015. By 2020, we expect to expand the segments that we participate in by adding two new nameplates to the Lincoln brand. We have not provided any indications about the products or their names.”

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/could-aviator-not-continental-begin-the-end-of-lincolns-alphabet-soup-naming-scheme/

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...[post]...
:thumb:

...According to a second-hand source..
it wasn't me! ...at least Mark didn't SAY he was using my 'stuff'

...The source also stated there will not be a next-generation Ford Flex...
COULD be they'll make THIS gen forever -- a trait for Ford since the Model T

...However, it could be the Aviator – not the Continental – to get the name change ball rolling...
imho FLincMoCo COULD bring out an Aviator before the Conti's Q1-2016 target
but
we have NOthing to prove they're DOing that -- yet

...In addition to the Aviator information, our source also stated the next Expedition and Navigator would get the 10-speed automatic transmission and an all aluminum body, making the full-size SUVs more efficient and lighter than their key competitors at General Motors...
duh

1 - 20 of 37 Posts