Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reviews are coming in. Autoblog and Cnet have the V6 model. They seem to like the driving experience, with a bit of a slant toward interior fitment. I would add, horrible styling as well, IMO (that center dash is abysmal).

http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-chevrolet-camaro/

The 1SS and 2SS first drives are also out there. The 1SS appears to offer quite the performer per $$, but the automatic equipped 2SS jumps drastically in price, and less of a value, given the GT-350 offers more performance for not a lot more $$.

Hey, with the SS model due out next year, how they heck do they already have acceleration times for it, but not the Shelby yet?

Anyway, 10 speeds and upgrades available next upgrade on stang should even out the v8 score.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
This car is going to be bad ass! Having the ATS/CTS/Camaro on the same platform just makes it so much easier to justify the investment. We don't know (anything really) much regarding D6, but it'll be very good news if they were able to build a 7G Mustang off that platform without compromise as GM was able to do with the new Camaro.

Camaro is still ugly as **** though! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, with the expensive 8 speed option, it helped bring the SS to nearly $48K.

One would hope for a bit more performance.

Of course, that is the Shelby price point level, which would destroy the SS anywhere and any time.

It's hard not to like the specs of a decked out SS.
But it is really easy to hate the price.
Too bad GM is pricing it into niche levels, as sales will drop like a rock.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, did I read that right....nearly Forty Eight Thousand for an SS.

Man, even if it came close to the Shelby in performance numbers and price, there is one emotion it can never touch....the awesome sound of the FP DOHC coyote spinning at 8200 rpms. That to me is priceless.

Don't get me wrong, I too also like the sound of a pushrod large bore V8, just as I did when they made it in the 60's. But I like a little extra emotion in my $50 performance car, that is new and never seen before, and Shelby delivers that, in spades.

Of course, 10 speeds and upgrades next year will do wonders for Mustang too.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just compared weights after reading C&D who made the claim 'camaro turned the tables on the Mustang' in terms of being heavier all these years.

V8 SS manual, weighs 35lbs less than equivalent GT.

I am not so sure this is a 'turning of the tables' as much as it is camaro finally getting their ****e together to Mustang weight levels, considering they were hundreds of lbs more.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Just read the C&D review, awesome drivers car for sure! At the same time the (currently) most recent comment pretty much sums up my opinion:

Nothing subtle about this vehicle, it just screams "American muscle car, b*****s!". And that's cool, but my personal choice would still be the Mustang. The Ford in my opinion balances its brutishness with a certain level of elegance.
The new Mustang isn't as attractive as the last IMO, but the Camaro may well be the ugliest to ever wear the badge! Still, gotta love what GM is doing on the performance front, even if the packaging misses by a country mile.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Automobile had this to say about the styling and packaging: "sitting in the driver’s seat, no longer do you feel as though you’re peering through a welding mask’s narrow porthole. The new Camaro is conspicuously airy, with far better visibility to the front and corners; cowl height (where the windshield meets the hood) has dropped by almost 1.6 inches—a massive and long-needed improvement. Using a platform shared with the Cadillac ATS, overall length decreases 2.3 inches, height shrinks by an inch, and wheelbase drops to 110.7 inches (versus 112.3 before). You feel an integral part of this car—not consumed by it."

Sounds pretty good to me. C/D admitted that the styling looked much more evolved in the real world than the styling dome, and they dismissed any ergonomics issues as being small parts of the big picture.

·
Registered
634 Posts
So as far as I can tell, the Camaro has upped the game in the segment by a massive amount, against a main competitor that can no longer claim age as a reason for not cutting the mustard.

Viva Chevy!

·
Registered
634 Posts
But without doubt the biggest point to ponder is NOT how the SS will perform against the 5.0. No, if this writeup is anything to go by it is going to stack up quite favourably to the upcoming Shelby GT350 as well. Motor Trend's VBox test of a GT350 can be read here:

http://m.motortrend.com/wot/does-th...more-power-than-the-regular-gt350-wvideo.html

If those numbers are accurate, they are pretty much a wash with what C/D was able to get with a fully pimped-out SS, complete with automatic ([email protected] for the Chevy, [email protected] for the Shelby). It also tends to add credence to what I've been saying on that front elsewhere, too.

So: at what cost flat-crank?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree.

So read the articles, learn the facts, and stop trolling me. If the facts trouble you then don't shoot the messenger. I didn't start this thread, but I am following it to the letter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned what sources provided what numbers.

Speaking for myself though, it is once again C/D who have provided the real food for thought. If they were able to get a fully larded-up automatic to 60 in 3.9 and through the quarter that quickly... imagine what they could do with a version that weighs 80 pounds less and stickers for seven grand less.

I'm telling you: based on these numbers and what MT got from their VBox the 5.0 is toast, and the Shelby GT350 is in SERIOUS trouble.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 8 speed automatic is what achieves the faster time. It is NOT standard, and thus adds significant cost to upgrade, on top of the already much more expensive base SS, which is nearly at $40K with no other options. When SS launches next year, it will have the upper hand, until GT gets it's 10 speed and upgrades shorty after. But Shelby is the more powerful and capable vehicle, until GM offers something else. And the price difference is nothing compared to when GM arrogantly priced the Z28 at $74K base MSRP.

And yes, it is nice to see that lard camaro finally visit Jenny Craig and match Ford Mustang in weight.....Within, what....the "weight of a case of bottled water."

:tongue::thumb:

1 - 20 of 136 Posts