Ford Inside News banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ford has unveiled its new 2016 Taurus sedan, which is designed specifically for Chinese customers.

Debuting at the 2015 Shanghai Motor Show, Ford is touting that the 2016 Taurus sets a new benchmark for large sedans in China and is the latest vehicle to debut as part of the American automaker’s commitment to bring 15 new world-class vehicles to China by 2015. The Taurus was designed specifically to meet the needs of the Chinese market and marks the first time Ford has brought the nameplate to China.

At the front of the Taurus is a shield-like, trapezoidal five-bar grille that is positioned prominently and flanked by slender, modern headlights with signature daytime running lights and LED project lamp technology. The sedan will come with 19-inch polished 10-spoke wheels while the rear of the Taurus is accented by multi-piece LED tail lights and a bright chrome bar connecting them.

SEE ALSO: Ford Enters Joint Venture to Develop Low-Cost Carbon Fiber

As a first for a Ford vehicle in China, the Taurus will feature power-reclining rear seats with optional adjustable lumbar support and a massage function. The center seat cushion folds down to reveal a rear-seat control panel for air conditioning, seat functions and car media.

Under the hood will be the company’s new high-output, 2.7-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 engine, although exact specifications were not revealed. The 2016 Ford Taurus will be built at the recently opened Changan Ford Hangzhou Plant, which is capable of producing up to 250,000 vehicles a year.

“The Ford Taurus we’re introducing today shows the amazing strength and flexibility of our One Ford plan,” said John Lawler, chairman and CEO, Ford China. “It combines the best of our global product development and large-car expertise with a clear understanding of what Chinese customers in this segment want.”

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The proportions make this car much nicer looking than the design itself, which I think is nicely done for the most part. You can see where the Continental got it's shape from which makes it a little better looking than the average FWD sedan.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The proportions make this car much nicer looking than the design itself, which I think is nicely done for the most part. You can see where the Continental got it's shape from which makes it look a little better looking than the average FWD sedan.
Agreed, and I actually like it a bit better than the Continental, at least in the front. The Conti's lines look too soft to me, but the Taurus' lines are sharper and not too aggressive looking. But obviously the Continental is supposed to look more "special" than the Taurus, and it has achieved that. I just hope they tone down the grille and make it look more like the new MKZ's grille, if I understand your description of it correctly.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Agreed, and I actually like it a bit better than the Continental, at least in the front. The Conti's lines look too soft to me, but the Taurus' lines are sharper and not too aggressive looking. But obviously the Continental is supposed to look more "special" than the Taurus, and it has achieved that. I just hope they tone down the grille and make it look more like the new MKZ's grille, if I understand your description of it correctly.
It's hard not to deny that the Continental and Taurus share some major design cues, especially up front and in parts of the greenhouse, but the differences will be in the finishes and accommodations. It's like an Apple Watch Sport vs Apple Watch Edition ;)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
It's hard not to deny that the Continental and Taurus share some major design cues, especially up front and in parts of the greenhouse, but the differences will be in the finishes and accommodations. It's like an Apple Watch Sport vs Apple Watch Edition ;)
If the Continental Concept is anything close to production than the two cars will obviously share hard points, but the skin that is wrapped around them will be completely different. The CC has a more traditional, non-fastback roofline. I think the most obvious similarity is how the A-pillar has been pulled back, though on the CC it looks like the front wheels were also pushed forward, hopefully this won't be lost in translation, though I'm pretty sure it will.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If the Continental Concept is anything close to production than the two cars will obviously share hard points, but the skin that is wrapped around them will be completely different. The CC has a more traditional, non-fastback roofline. I think the most obvious similarity is how the A-pillar has been pulled back, though on the CC it looks like the front wheels were also pushed forward, hopefully this won't be lost in translation, though I'm pretty sure it will.
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot more has been changed on the MKX vs Edge than most realize. Also Lincolns are certainly trending towards more and more differentiation. With Fields at the helm too, we shall see.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot more has been changed on the MKX vs Edge than most realize. Also Lincolns are certainly trending towards more and more differentiation. With Fields at the helm too, we shall see.
Not a single Lincoln differs in hard point locations with it's Ford platform. Yes they have completely unique sheet metal and greenhouses, but hard points have remained the same. There is zero reason to think that is going to change soon.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Lincoln and Ford share engineering hard points, Lincoln does bolt on a few electronically controlled suspension dampeners but use the same Ford hardware. The rest is design, amenities, and materials. The good thing is I don't think people realize how close Ford and Lincoln remain technically at this point.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Lincoln and Ford share engineering hard points, Lincoln does bolt on a few electronically controlled suspension dampeners but use the same Ford hardware. The rest is design, amenities, and materials. The good thing is I don't think people realize how close Ford and Lincoln remain technically at this point.
I think that's the way it's heading in the future for most manufacturers who offer several 'brands'. VWs modular platform is based on using some of the same components on a VW, Audi, Porsche to cut costs and increase profits. But VW is not that picky about the sheetmetal being too close to an Audi design. Actually I think VW uses Audi design to give VW designs more stature. BMW has Mini to share with, and MB without a mass market consumer brand is sharing with Toyota...all to save costs.

But just looking at VW/Audi vs Ford/Lincoln, there is a greater differentiation between Ford/Lincoln new models than VW/Audi models in general. When you think about it, starting with a great platform, and building an even better luxury car is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
But just looking at VW/Audi vs Ford/Lincoln, there is a greater differentiation between Ford/Lincoln new models than VW/Audi models in general. When you think about it, starting with a great platform, and building an even better luxury car is not a bad idea.
There are downsides to any endeavor. Lincoln starts with a mass market Ford platform that is not significantly updated for premium level duty. This obviously results in Lincoln's being more affordable to build, but not nearly as unique as most of it's competition.

VW on the other hand finds itself in the reverse position IMO. VW cars tend to be more expensive than their mass market competition as I believe their platforms begin with their premium brands in mind, thus being more expensive to build and buy.

Finally, I don't know how you can say that Audi/VW are less differentiated than Lincoln/Ford, I just don't see it.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
"Ford recently unveiled the next-generation 2016 Taurus at the 2015 Shanghai Auto Show. Although the car will be marketed as a full-on luxury sedan in China, including power-reclining rear seats with massage and rear-seat climate and communications controls, the North American version is expected to continue to compete directly with the Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Charger/ Chrysler 300 duo and the Toyota Avalon in content and price. Rear-seat passenger space should benefit from an eight-centimetre gain in distance between the front and rear wheels, although overall length will shrink by about 15 centimetres. Also expected is a twin-turbocharged 2.3-litre four-cylinder base engine plus twin-turbo 2.7- and 3.5-litre V-6s, the latter installed in the high-output Taurus SHO.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/the-auto-sleuth-new-taurus-gets-luxury-billing-for-china-1.1949277#sthash.bCAyZDOm.dpuf"

·
Registered
326 Posts
Motor Trend isn't the most reliable source of information, but the new issue says it will debut in the US in spring 2016 with the 2.0L as standard and the 2.7 and 3.5 as optional. I do doubt it will have the 3.5.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Rear-seat passenger space should benefit from an eight-centimetre gain in distance between the front and rear wheels, although overall length will shrink by about 15 centimetres.
Ah, sounds like a huge improvement there! But [email protected] inches and centimeters, pick one and stick with it!

I really hope the Taurus will not only make it back to the US, but also make a bigger impact than the current one. And of course the one I'm most interested in is the SHO... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am seriously jonesing for a new SHO, the current (old) Taurus does not float my boat at all. I can't believe how long they've allowed the Taurus platform to whither on the vine, feels like an eternity ago that the Charger/300 starting kicking serious Taurus butt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts