Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid

The new 2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid has a 9.8-kWh lithium-ion polymer battery that gets an EPA 27 miles of electric-only driving before the gas engine is needed.

Other efficiency numbers are: 57 city, 60 highway and 59 combined.

Which beats the 2015 Fusion Energi at 19 with electric only miles with a smaller 7.6kWh battery pack, and 55 city, 46 highway and 51 combined.

This makes the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid the most fuel efficient and offers the longest electric only range of any midsize vehicle in the US, behind the new 2016 Volt.

Check out insideevs for a full model chart.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wonder if Ford will offer a more powerful battery pack, to boost the electric only range and overall mpg of the 2017 Fusion Hybrid and Energi.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wonder if Ford will offer a more powerful battery pack, to boost the electric only range and overall mpg of the 2017 Fusion Hybrid and Energi.
Perhaps we will see better numbers on the refreshed Fusion. Since Ford has the better product I would think they would want to keep it competitive in every way possible.

·
Registered
500 Posts
WOW, truly amazing if those numbers hold true, one upping the Fusion Energi, which I'm sure will also improve over time.

The new Volt basically goes 100 miles on one gallon of gas.

This much bigger car could do it in 1.25 gallons, for comparison the current Fusion Energi does it in about 1.6 gallons.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Curious how they're getting better MPG on the highway than city? A typical hybrid is better in the city where stop/start and the battery can help more.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

With the extensive work that's been going on with the 2017 Fusion refresh, hopefully the hybrid and plug-in hybrid will get larger battery packs and more range. So far, both have only had a decline in efficiency since introduction.

We should at least see the new EcoModes that were supposed to launch with MY2016.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
With the extensive work that's been going on with the 2017 Fusion refresh, hopefully the hybrid and plug-in hybrid will get larger battery packs and more range.
Would that mean less cargo space? Being just a refresh, the trunk will more or less be the same size.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Stats are one thing, you probably have to look at the whole package to find out which hybrid is best from driving performance to cargo capacity. Ford's hybrid program is in dire need of a major update and I'm assuming that starts with the updated Fusion. Fusion also has to contend with the new Malibu hybrid, not to mention Volt. At this moment in time, Ford looks like it has stalled out next to GM so we need to see them make a splash pretty soon.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Stats are one thing, you probably have to look at the whole package to find out which hybrid is best from driving performance to cargo capacity. Ford's hybrid program is in dire need of a major update and I'm assuming that starts with the updated Fusion. Fusion also has to contend with the new Malibu hybrid, not to mention Volt. At this moment in time, Ford looks like it has stalled out next to GM so we need to see them make a splash pretty soon.
Wait a minute!............... "Ford looks like it has stalled out next to GM"

- Are you talking about the same GM that just cut Volt production in half and will not even sell the car Nationwide until 2017 model year?

- Malibu 'finally' has a REAL Hybrid for 2016 and that suddenly makes Ford "stalled"? "Have you driven a BASS Hybrid system lately?"

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Does Ford advertise the Fusion Hybrid and Energi models (and C-Max and Focus) well in the US and Canada? Just curious if there's a big marketing push behind them, or if it's only electric fanatics that know about them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts