1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE: 2016 Lincoln MKS Confirmed for New York Auto Show Debut
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
23RD JANUARY 2015

Before Kumar Galhotra was appointed the new prez of the Lincoln brand, Ford CEO Mark Fields and his trusted marketing head Jim Farley lobbied in front of the board of directors to pump money in the Lincoln marque. Without the influence of these two, Ford’s most luxurious automotive brand would’ve followed Mercury into the grave by the end of this decade.

More financial resources, better management and a certain Hollywood star (Matthew Mcconaughey) led to improving sales volumes, especially in China. The other vital element in Lincoln’s rejuvenation comes in the form of all-new models. With the exception of the MKT and MKS, the model lineup consists of all-new offerings such as the MKC, MKZ, MKX and the 2015 model year Navigator. But more are to come, including an all-new Aviator according to this mark.

After discovering the Aviator mark in the Patent and Trademark Office database, we reached out to an older source inside FoMoCo regarding the company’s position on whether the Lincoln Aviator will really come back from the dead, based on the new D6 platform. Our source couldn't tell us straightforward if this will surely come to fruition but we did get a 50-50 chance “no comment, but prepare to be taken by surprise.”

We didn’t forget to also ask about what’s in store for the New York Auto Show in April. After the 2015 Ford Edge-based MKX got its 15 minutes of fame at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this month, we have learned that “an all-new large sedan” will debut at NY, underpinned by an architecture that “won’t be FWD.”

CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Saw this on GMI total shock didn't see this coming at all!

and check this out

We didn’t forget to also ask about what’s in store for the New York Auto Show in April. After the 2015 Ford Edge-based MKX got its 15 minutes of fame at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this month, we have learned that “an all-new large sedan” will debut at NY, underpinned by an architecture that “won’t be FWD.”

·
Registered
532 Posts
MKS and CT6 debuting at the same show? Let the games begin!
Edit: I'm sure the MKS and CT6 will be in very different price ranges, and the MKS will probably be a little bit smaller but the comparisons will happen regardless.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
EXCLUSIVE: 2016 Lincoln MKS Confirmed for New York Auto Show Debut
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
23RD JANUARY 2015

Before Kumar Galhotra was appointed the new prez of the Lincoln brand, Ford CEO Mark Fields and his trusted marketing head Jim Farley lobbied in front of the board of directors to pump money in the Lincoln marque. Without the influence of these two, Ford’s most luxurious automotive brand would’ve followed Mercury into the grave by the end of this decade.

More financial resources, better management and a certain Hollywood star (Matthew Mcconaughey) led to improving sales volumes, especially in China. The other vital element in Lincoln’s rejuvenation comes in the form of all-new models. With the exception of the MKT and MKS, the model lineup consists of all-new offerings such as the MKC, MKZ, MKX and the 2015 model year Navigator. But more are to come, including an all-new Aviator according to this mark.

After discovering the Aviator mark in the Patent and Trademark Office database, we reached out to an older source inside FoMoCo regarding the company’s position on whether the Lincoln Aviator will really come back from the dead, based on the new D6 platform. Our source couldn't tell us straightforward if this will surely come to fruition but we did get a 50-50 chance “no comment, but prepare to be taken by surprise.”

CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM
MKS concept in Chicago?? :tongue:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MKS concept in Chicago?? :tongue:
Nah this will probably be the concept at NY and maybe production at NAIAS next year... remember Jose 1 model a year! lol

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The comments on a RWD (specifically "not FWD", which could mean full-time AWD I suppose) sedan for NY mirror what I was told in Detroit on Monday. Interesting.

Also, what are the chances of Lincoln debuting a production-ready vehicle?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add they said it wouldn't be FWD which makes me believe this will be an AWD only vehicle. Think about it, if the 2.9 EcoBoost debuts it will most likely be AWD to handle all the torque, and the other engine would be the 3.5 EcoBoost which is already AWD. Probably still transverse unless Ford gets daring and actually mounts the engines N/S like Audi.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Just to add they said it wouldn't be FWD which makes me believe this will be an AWD only vehicle. Think about it, if the 2.9 EcoBoost debuts it will most likely be AWD to handle all the torque, and the other engine would be the 3.5 EcoBoost which is already AWD. Probably still transverse unless Ford gets daring and actually mounts the engines N/S like Audi.
They cannot just "get daring", the platform had to be engineered for longitudinal engine placement from the get go otherwise the re-engineering would result in pretty much an all new platform anyways.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
the way this article is written doesN'T inspire my confidence...
...even tho I don't disagree with its points
&
^ Andrew,
what you just wrote makes wonder if China's long-wlb MKZ might be used for a larger Fwd sedan for the US too??

MKS and CT6 debuting at the same show? Let the games begin!
Edit: I'm sure the MKS and CT6 will be in very different price ranges, and the MKS will probably be a little bit smaller but the comparisons will happen regardless.
prices ranges? considering Cadillac's absurd pricing = yup
diff sizes? CT6 has been said to be 203.5" (CTS + 8"), MKS = 205.6", Z = 194.1".....

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They cannot just "get daring", the platform had to be engineered for longitudinal engine placement from the get go otherwise the re-engineering would result in pretty much an all new platform anyways.
Well we don't know what platform this will be on just yet. Could just be a stretched CD4 or could be something else.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I feel the same way 2B2. I would feel alot more comfortable with it's accuracy if it was coming from autonews or car&driver instead of autoevolution.

I still hope this is true.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Nah this will probably be the concept at NY and maybe production at NAIAS next year... remember Jose 1 model a year! lol
I think it could be concept and production version for 2016 NAIAS.
and yeah I don't think a RWD Lincoln is near, it has to be AWD

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Well we don't know what platform this will be on just yet. Could just be a stretched CD4 or could be something else.
well, those 2 platforms might be a lot closer to the same thing than originally thouhgt...

& edit
if CD6/D6 will really support Fwd-Awd/Rwd
this could be the "A" version
(( then Taurus=Fwd & Conti=Rwd...
...hope there's an e6 for electrified ))

tho
(don't remember WHERE I recently wrote something like...)
-- imho there was more work done on a global Rwd platform than generally acknowledged
-- still need to know when the current Falcon/Territory stop AU production
-- since Mr.Fields became chief, the GRwdP stuff could've been brushed off and 'label'ed: Lincoln

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I wonder if the report is true.....the MKS isn't a 2017 model? also I remember wings said that the MKS won't have a concept version.....it is too early to show a 2017 model....also no spy pics yet

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wonder if the report is true.....the MKS isn't a 2017 model? also I remember wings said that the MKS won't have a concept version.....it is too early to show a 2017 model....also no spy pics yet
Well Ford showed the GT and Raptor, both wont be available for awhile so its possible. I wouldn't rule out a concept though, the MKX wasn't supposed to have a concept initially and if the rumor about the MKS holding a new face for Lincoln, I expect a concept just so they can get the reaction of the new design before implementing it.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
The comments on a RWD (specifically "not FWD", which could mean full-time AWD I suppose) sedan for NY mirror what I was told in Detroit on Monday. Interesting.

Also, what are the chances of Lincoln debuting a production-ready vehicle?
To know what Lincoln will do it the MKS, we must look at the segment leaders....GLOBALLY, as Lincoln has already stated that the plan is to compete directly with the luxury segment leaders, segment by segment.

Which would mean the New MKS will be RWD with an AWD option. There is no other option but to do so. And what will make this platform viable will be for the New higher volume 2016 Taurus to offer the same platform, which will excite law enforcement who had to 'tolerate' the FWD drivetrain of the Intercepter, saved knowing that AWD was an option.

And for the Chinese market, we should see a LWB version of both the Taurus and MKS.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts