Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
In the front I'm seeing some Honda S2000, in the rear I'm seeing some Alfa, in profile I'm seeing some TVR. Never been much of a Miata fan and this doesn't appear to be changing that.

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
509 Posts
2016 Mazda MX-5 Revealed and it looks...

great!

The wait is finally over sports car enthusiasts – the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata has made its debut.

The highly anticipated, next-generation sports car was unveiled at a live event in Monterey, California while simultaneous global reveals were also done in Tokyo and Barcelona. Earlier this year, the popular convertible celebrated its 25th anniversary and now the Japanese automaker looks to the future with its new MX-5 Miata, as it continues to strive on as the best-selling two-seat roadster of all time.

During its unveiling, the Japanese automaker described the new MX-5 Miata as a labor of love with its engineers striving to combine the classic roadster with a totally modern design and state-of-the-art technology. Wider and lower than today’s Miata, the new sleek body and design is the Miata’s biggest jump in terms of styling from generation to generation. Inside, the company wanted to give the Miata a much higher quality feel to the interior while remaining driver focused.

SEE ALSO: MX-5 to Monterey: Grand Junction, CO to Monterey, CA

The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata adopts both the company’s Skyactiv and Kodo design language and will be rolled out to global markets starting in 2015. Overall, the new Miata is the most compact of any generation MX-5 and is over 220 lbs lighter than the current model.

Unfortunately, the Japanese automaker didn’t reveal the juiciest of details – that is, what’s lurking under the hood and what will be powering the Miata. For now, we’ll have to be satisfied with its stunningly good looks as we wait for Mazda to confirm its powerplant.
See more 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why is Japanese engineering so much better than American engineering?

Both Ford and Mazda have publicly stated decreasing weight across all model lines is one of their top priorities. Mazda cut 8.9% of weight out of this new generation of the Miata. At the same time, Ford has increased the new Mustang GT weight by 1.5%. The Mustang is also already 48.2% heavier than the Miata, so it would be easier to take more weight out of the Mustang. :facepalm:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Both Ford and Mazda have publicly stated decreasing weight across all model lines is one of their top priorities. Mazda cut 8.9% of weight out of this new generation of the Miata. At the same time, Ford has increased the new Mustang GT weight by 1.5%. The Mustang is also already 48.2% heavier than the Miata, so it would be easier to take more weight out of the Mustang. :facepalm:
There are plenty of factors, I'm betting one of the big ones is the Miata will NEVER be offered with 500+ HP. Everything about the Mustang has to be stronger to deal with that. I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed to see weight gain, but to compare the Miata to the Mustang isn't really all that useful.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are plenty of factors, I'm betting one of the big ones is the Miata will NEVER be offered with 500+ HP. Everything about the Mustang has to be stronger to deal with that. I'm not saying I wasn't disappointed to see weight gain, but to compare the Miata to the Mustang isn't really all that useful.
You're not understanding what I'm trying to convey. I'm not saying the Mustang should weigh the same as a Miata, I know that will never happen, but with the Mustang weighing 48% heavier already, that extra weight gives more opportunity to take some weight out of the Mustang, not add.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Hmmmm......back seats, front seats that fit real humans, more than 120hp, V6 and V8 engines...way too many things to list why.....but I know you already know why anyways.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
You're not understanding what I'm trying to convey. I'm not saying the Mustang should weigh the same as a Miata, I know that will never happen, but with the Mustang weighing 48% heavier already, that extra weight gives more opportunity to take some weight out of the Mustang, not add.
I think I understand, C.M.
if some ripped little gymnast on a "program" loses weight
while a 360# football lineman CLAIMING the same "program" gains even more
only one of them was really trying to lose weight

&
think you've seen my lunatic-fringe theory but:
the S550 Mustang we're getting is what it is because
FoMoCo drastically changed-or-postponed their plans not that long ago (18 months?)
so
the S550 isn't smaller (just a bit lower)
the S550 isn't lighter
the S550 isn't an AllNew Evos-inspired style
imho^

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Looks nice. A bit "Honda" at the front, but is OK. Good job considering the limitations for the designers imposed by the small size and purpose of the car.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I did read it and it doesn't make sense to compare the 2 cars weights. Simply being sportscars and RWD does not put these in the same league nor justify thinking that they should be similar in weight.
He didn't say that they should be similar in weight though, just that one company managed to remove a healthy percentage of the weight of their car while the other one actually added some. There are other things to consider, but it has nothing to do with one weighing more than the other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts