Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car & Driver is pretty harsh on the new MKX, calling the MKX interior a little tight and lacking luxury car materials or refinement expected in a car at $60K. They also complained that Revel Ultima sound system distorts audio and rattles the doors. And of course, MyLincoln Touch is still there. To sum it up, the MKX looks less like a Ford but not quite up to snuff for a luxury car.

They were impressed by the driving dynamics and smoothness of the drivetrain. And as I said in my review, they also agree that the ride is suspiciously Lexus soft.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-lincoln-mkx-first-drive-review

I think the Continental will help Lincoln interiors catch-up to the competition with better switchgear and center-stack design. This seems to be a weak point for everybody who spends time in a Lincoln. It's strange because Lincoln understood this before on the previous MKX, MKS, and MKT with the touch controls, the center stack wasn't a huge flowing piece of hard black plastic like it became in MKZ, MKC, and MKX. I think Lincoln understands these shortcomings which is why Woodhouse took over, but it was too late for MKX.

I disagree that the MKX is overpriced with those amenities, but Lincoln certainly needs to get its quality up especially when they are spending so little on actual design and development as it is. The rest of it is probably journalist bias. I do feel that an MKX at the top spectrum is overpriced only because it lacks Sync 3 which is why I won't buy a Black Label until it's in there. I'm sure I'm very much a minority in that feeling.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yet the MKX is more quiet and comfortable...
Seriously, these people are paid to write this crap? More quiet? More ****ing quiet? Honest to God, I'm a lousy writer and even I know proper English would be "Yet the MKX is quieter and more comfortable..." How in the f'k am I supposed to respect your opinion on the vehicle when as a professional writer something so obvious gets buy not only you, but your editors.

Journalism is dead in America.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Of course he redeems himself to some degree with the following:

Where the Lincoln continues to fall short is in the plasticky center dash stack and console, which is too similar to those in other, less-expensive Lincoln models. The flimsy cover to the forward storage compartment says that the company still hasn’t grasped how much touch points matter to luxury buyers. The plainness of the plastic transmission push buttons introduced on the MKZ and reused here is still a missed opportunity for the designers to make an everyday action more of an event through fancier switchgear
I'm pretty sure there was a FIN regular who recently made quite a few posts regarding the quality of the switchgear/center stack materials. Whoever that FIN guy was I hope he gives himself a well deserved pat on the back!

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
It's strange because Lincoln understood this before on the previous MKX, MKS, and MKT with the touch controls, the center stack wasn't a huge flowing piece of hard black plastic like it became in MKZ, MKC, and MKX. I think Lincoln understands these shortcomings which is why Woodhouse took over, but it was too late for MKX.
not sure Borg. IMHO, Soo Kang is more guilty than Max in terms of interior design (and maybe quality)
Also, maybe this decision is not made by the design chief, maybe by the Quality and materials people

·
Registered
620 Posts

I'm pretty sure there was a FIN regular who recently made quite a few posts regarding the quality of the switchgear/center stack materials. Whoever that FIN guy was I hope he gives himself a well deserved pat on the back!
I didn't mention that about the MKX, but it was something I disliked in my experience in the MKZ. The console of my Expedition XLT was better to the touch...and it's generations old!

I'm hoping the Continental is where they really take a big swing, and set the bar higher for themselves going forward.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Car & Driver is pretty harsh on the new MKX, calling the MKX interior a little tight and lacking luxury car materials or refinement expected in a car at $60K. They also complained that Revel Ultima sound system distorts audio and rattles the doors. And of course, MyLincoln Touch is still there. To sum it up, the MKX looks less like a Ford but not quite up to snuff for a luxury car.

They were impressed by the driving dynamics and smoothness of the drivetrain. And as I said in my review, they also agree that the ride is suspiciously Lexus soft.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-lincoln-mkx-first-drive-review

I think the Continental will help Lincoln interiors catch-up to the competition with better switchgear and center-stack design. This seems to be a weak point for everybody who spends time in a Lincoln. It's strange because Lincoln understood this before on the previous MKX, MKS, and MKT with the touch controls, the center stack wasn't a huge flowing piece of hard black plastic like it became in MKZ, MKC, and MKX. I think Lincoln understands these shortcomings which is why Woodhouse took over, but it was too late for MKX.

I disagree that the MKX is overpriced with those amenities, but Lincoln certainly needs to get its quality up especially when they are spending so little on actual design and development as it is. The rest of it is probably journalist bias. I do feel that an MKX at the top spectrum is overpriced only because it lacks Sync 3 which is why I won't buy a Black Label until it's in there. I'm sure I'm very much a minority in that feeling.
should be nice if Lincoln decides to change the pushbottom from plastic to something like this:

not sure it if plastic or not but looks better than this:

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
M

Ouch! That hurts, buddy

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
yeah I know but what I mean is that they can improve the bottom design/quality in all the vehicles
That black plastic cover must be made with wood, piano black apperance, carbon fiber, aluminum or glass (yes, glass... Some kind of glass with a luxury finish... If you can have a glass roof why not a glass Center console?)

The switch gears must be made of chrome... No other material give The customers that sensation of well finish and well done controls. That is why the Bentley interior in that picture looks so good.

I hope to see some of this ideas in the next Lincoln.

·
Registered
193 Posts
FWIW the switches _feel_ OK. I don't have any 'wobble' in my volume knob and the other switches have nice feedback. The steering wheel buttons are a tad small for my fingers, though.

Maybe I'm biased (or embarrassed to have spent so much on what the 'experts' deem to be an overpriced vehicle) but taken as a whole I believe it's a very worthy competitor. SRX? GLK350? Nothing remarkable with either. And please, Q5 or RX350? Lots of plastic in them too! Compared to an X5 or GLE, I suppose the X would fall short, but equipped similarly I would argue that they don't compete with one another because of the price differential.

Edit: After just now reviewing the interior of the upcoming RX, I think that maybe I should have waited! That looks like one heck of a nice interior! Exterior is a little (a lot?) too flamboyant for me, however. And I don't think the performance will be there, relative to the MKX.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The switches in the MKX are mostly a compromise I believe, the car was originally designed for touch controls like MKC an MKZ so in order to retain the flush design they've created these controls.

I actually really like the new designs like RX and Murano, the MKX kinda falls in the 'meh, it's nice' category which is probably a smarter place for them to be right now. I'm seeing more and more of them on the road, looks nice out in the world but that bum is too low and boxy, to me it looks dated because lacks a smoother integrated look like the rest of the car.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Car & Driver misses the mark for the mkX/X16

FWIW...
Edit: After just now reviewing the interior of the upcoming RX, I think that maybe I should have waited! That looks like one heck of a nice interior! Exterior is a little (a lot?) too flamboyant for me, however. And I don't think the performance will be there, relative to the MKX.
I actively DISlike recent Lexoid interiors

they look busy to the point of being UNfinished - like the scafolding is still there
Or they're 'samplers' composed of 3-4-multiple themes at the same time
Or thrown together (ie approved) by someone with no artistic sense or training

http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2016-rx_450h/1024x768/wallpaper_0d.htm
http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2016-rx_450h/1024x768/wallpaper_0e.htm
http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2016-rx_450h/1024x768/wallpaper_0f.htm

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Now to be fair...if you are looking at interior materials a la Bentley, expect to pay prices a la Bentley...

I'd rather have the console of the MKX an pocket the additional $20K BMW or Mercedes is going to charge you for a comparable vehicle.

And in regards to the Continental, mark my words:

If Lincoln is going to use better materials and in return, increase the price on the Continental compared to the MKS (which will happen anyway), C&D will be the FIRST to complain about the price - like 'nobody's going to spend $70K on a Lincoln'...bla, bla, bla...

You simply can't make it right for everybody. That's why I DON'T want to see Lincoln in the same league as Audi, BMW, Mercedes or even worse, Bentley. I want Lincoln to stay cheaper - otherwise, I can get myself a BMW again because according to C&D, they are better in the first place. At $80K, C&D might actually be right...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
... :thumb:
... "I" still think Lincoln needs something, ie car, between the Z & Conti
I agree - especially if the Conti is indeed going after the big guys (and in fact, after the big bucks..)..:thumb:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
BTW, yesterday, I saw my first new MKX in the wild and I liked it a lot (my mum also..).

I just looked at the interior of the new Lexus and i really don't like it. it already looks outdated, plastered with all the little buttons. Even the speedometer looks like 1980...

I don't see any design or character in the Lexus interior and the composition brought the word 'lieblos' to my mind - that's German for 'loveless'...:smile:

Too many edges and boxes for my taste...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Re: Car & Driver misses the mark for the mkX/X16

BTW, yesterday, I saw my first new MKX in the wild and I liked it a lot (my mum also..).

I just looked at the interior of the new Lexus and i really don't like it. it already looks outdated, plastered with all the little buttons. Even the speedometer looks like 1980...
ya know, LincolnFanFl,
their dashes actually remind of the the disjointed excesses of the 1950's
+
...seriously!

I agree - especially if the Conti is indeed going after the big guys (and in fact, after the big bucks..)..:thumb:
AS the
DESERVES imho!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts