Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 MODEL YEAR MUSTANG GT TO RECEIVE HOOD VENT TURN SIGNALS
A NOD TO CAR'S HERITAGE, NEW PACKAGING OPTIONS

Turn signal indicators located in hood vents – a heritage cue from the 1967 Ford Mustang – return as standard equipment for 2016 Ford Mustang GT

Exclusive California Special Package for Mustang GT Premium available this fall; Pony Package available for Mustang EcoBoost® Premium by year’s end

2016 Mustang GT convertible will be available with the Performance Package

For the 2016 model year, Mustang fastback and convertible welcome the return of the iconic California Special Package and Pony Package —two iconic Mustang trim levels made popular in the 1960s. Several other new options, including new stripes and wheels, allow owners to make their pony car as individual as they are.

Fans have been clamoring for the return of hood vent-integrated turn signals for years, and in a nod to heritage Ford is honoring the request, bringing back the popular feature as standard equipment for owners of the 2016 Mustang GT. First offered on the 1967 Mustang, secondary indicators in the hood vents would come to represent an iconic piece of pony car DNA. Now, this segment-exclusive feature will serve as an additional “heads-up” for Mustang GT drivers.

“Mustang enthusiasts are not shy about telling us what they want,” said Melanie Banker, Mustang marketing manager, “and we’re constantly exploring ideas together with our engineering team to develop new features we know our customers will love. These new hood vent indicators for the GT model are a perfect example of us communicating customer feedback to Mustang engineers and the team responding with an exclusive new feature for owners of the 2016 Mustang GT.”

New stripes, wheels, trims allow for greater personalization
Several new packages and options will be available for 2016 Mustang GT and Mustang EcoBoost® when the cars arrive in dealerships in the third quarter of 2015. Returning to the sixth-generation Mustang are over-the-top racing stripes direct from the factory. Offered in black or silver, the stripes are available on most color and trim packages.

Last seen on the Boss 302, a painted black roof option is now available for the EcoBoost-equipped Mustang and Mustang GT.

more at: https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ang-gt-to-receive-hood-vent-turn-signals.html

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: 2016 model year mustang gt

Sounds good.

At least Ford knows & maintains its heritage ... unlike, well, never mind ... ha.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"It's always the same old story, you never know what you've got til its gone" __ Mike & the Mechanics __ 'All I Need Is A Miracle'

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Mustang is up 81.5% for April and 60% for the year. It is the #1 selling sports car in the US. Camaro is down -23% for April and -15.3% for the year. Even Corvette is impacted by Mustang, and is down -1.3% for April.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Awesome to see they are tweaking it here and there, and so soon after introduction. Camaro will have its work cut out for it trying to wrestle the 'Stang for top spot when the new one comes out! And only one is truly global, so it will be impossible to beat in that respect!

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Mustang is up 81.5% for April and 60% for the year. It is the #1 selling sports car in the US. Camaro is down -23% for April and -15.3% for the year. Even Corvette is impacted by Mustang, and is down -1.3% for April.
Corvette down? Wow. Maybe impacted by Mustang and the higher prices...

Camaro is beaten hard by the new Mustang. but this will reversed soon with a ligth and new model.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Awesome to see they are tweaking it here and there, and so soon after introduction. Camaro will have its work cut out for it trying to wrestle the 'Stang for top spot when the new one comes out! And only one is truly global, so it will be impossible to beat in that respect!
From all accounts, the 2016 Camaro is redesigned, lighter weight, more power, improved everything. Plenty of people will buy it, or the Mustang, on brand loyalty alone, but the Camaro will be a serious threat to the Stang in 16.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
From all accounts, the 2016 Camaro is redesigned, lighter weight, more power, improved everything. Plenty of people will buy it, or the Mustang, on brand loyalty alone, but the Camaro will be a serious threat to the Stang in 16.
When was there a year that the Camaro wasn't, not counting those years it wasn't built?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
"SYNC® 3, Ford’s next-generation communications and entertainment system, is coming for Mustang equipped with Premium Package for 2016."

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
But in 2016, that's when the 2017 Rapture is due with the new 10-speed transmission, along with new 3.5L V6 EB engine offering 450-500hp. Something tells me what the 2017 Mustang will offer the 10 speed, along with the range topping EB option. I expect that before Camaro can get any sales momentum in 2016, Mustang will trump it to continue it's sales leadership.

It seems the time of Ford letting models sit for years without any updates, and allowing the competition to walk all over them is over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope so Bloggin. The 2.3 should be the base engine and at least a gen 1 3.5 could be the middle with a DI 5.0 topping it off, With a 10 speed behind them. Ford could loose a few pounds to stretch out the lead. And hopefully use Magnaride shocks on the PP optional.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
A bit off-topic:
Everybody here more or less knows how the export Mustang looks like, it's got subtle detail changes like the large dumbo ear side mirrors and white tri-bar tail lights.
Here in the Philippines the Mustang that went on sale last year looked identical to the US version, but when they updated the local Ford website for 2016 all Mustang photos were replaced by the export-market Mustang photos.
I thought it was a mistake till I saw an actual brand new 2016 Mustang (export version) on the road today with Ford dealership plates.

Most will remember that the export market Mustang GT makes 416PS or 410hp, 25hp less than the North American version Mustang GT which has 435hp.
I guess the interesting part is the power figure for the Philippine market Mustang GT remains at 435hp even after the switch to the export market version.

Mustang GT (export version)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
PS: Just noticed the hood vents are missing on the export Mustang GT...

-dailymail.co.uk
Interesting! I wonder if it has anything to do with the built-in turn signals for the 2016 US car. Perhaps those are not legal on the euro model and they don't feel like manufacturing two types of hood vents.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Interesting! I wonder if it has anything to do with the built-in turn signals for the 2016 US car. Perhaps those are not legal on the euro model and they don't feel like manufacturing two types of hood vents.
The export/euro Mustang GT displayed at the 2014 Paris Motor Show already didn't have hood vents.

Since Ford Philippines made the switch from US Mustang to export Mustang, I wonder if the US version sold here in 2015 will have higher resale value.
For Mustang fans in the Philippines. goodbye sequential rear signal lights and functional hood vents (GT).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The export/euro Mustang GT displayed at the 2014 Paris Motor Show already didn't have hood vents.
Perhaps their product planning led them to already know they were going to be implementing the turn signals only a year after debut and they didn't want to devalue the 2016 imports vs the 2015 imports due to the lack of vents entirely.

When people say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all, when money is on the line Ford disagrees! Lol.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Perhaps their product planning led them to already know they were going to be implementing the turn signals only a year after debut and they didn't want to devalue the 2016 imports vs the 2015 imports due to the lack of vents entirely.

When people say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all, when money is on the line Ford disagrees! Lol.
Or perhaps they realized the Mustang is good enough to get away without using tacky, useless stylized features. I think fake scoops, vents, and spoilers are pretty much an American invention from the 70's when looking fast was the only fast you could buy. The Mustang can stand on it's own four wheels now, it's no longer an economy car parading as a sports car, it's long since time to let them go.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Or perhaps they realized the Mustang is good enough to get away without using tacky, useless stylized features. I think fake scoops, vents, and spoilers are pretty much an American invention from the 70's when looking fast was the only fast you could buy. The Mustang can stand on it's own four wheels now, it's no longer an economy car parading as a sports car, it's long since time to let them go.
There's a reason why my Mustang has the spoiler delete, no fake B-C pillar scoop covers for the windows, nor any hood scoops or vents! lol. I totally agree. However on the 2016 Mustang I quite like the vents on the hood and I don't mind a lip spoiler. At least the vents are functional heat extractors.

Keep in mind, though, people still like to look fast regardless of performance. Such trends were developed years before the 70's when the cars no longer performed well. Such things were also necessary for top-engine intake vehicles. Considering the only mainstream manufacturer with functional scoops is Subaru and they use them for the intercooler, my main distaste for such appearance packages doesn't go much father than my hatred of FAKE SCOOPS. I can live with heat extractors. As long as the Mustang doesn't offer fake scoops any longer, I couldn't care less.

When I was shopping for a 2005, if I saw THIS:

I would run for the hills.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
There's a reason why my Mustang has the spoiler delete, no fake B-C pillar scoop covers for the windows, nor any hood scoops or vents! lol. I totally agree. However on the 2016 Mustang I quite like the vents on the hood and I don't mind a lip spoiler. At least the vents are functional heat extractors.

Keep in mind, though, people still like to look fast regardless of performance. Such trends were developed years before the 70's when the cars no longer performed well. Such things were also necessary for top-engine intake vehicles. Considering the only mainstream manufacturer with functional scoops is Subaru and they use them for the intercooler, my main distaste for such appearance packages doesn't go much father than my hatred of FAKE SCOOPS. I can live with heat extractors. As long as the Mustang doesn't offer fake scoops any longer, I couldn't care less.

When I was shopping for a 2005, if I saw THIS:

I would run for the hills.
Everything is subjective, if you watch the debates even facts have become subjective! :surprise2:

I don't mind the GT heat extractors but do think the car looks better without them. The fact that they're not needed on export cars suggests they're more about appearance than functionality, even if they are somewhat functional. Even so, I very happy with Ford's restraint when it comes to such things!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Everything is subjective, if you watch the debates even facts have become subjective! :surprise2:

I don't mind the GT heat extractors but do think the car looks better without them. The fact that they're not needed on export cars suggests they're more about appearance than functionality, even if they are somewhat functional. Even so, I very happy with Ford's restraint when it comes to such things!
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the 25 hp difference between the domestic vs exported models was due to heat extractors?

Lol

Reactions: SP1966
1 - 20 of 27 Posts