Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The short list nominees for the 2016 North American Car and Truck of the Year have been announced.

Every year, 57 automotive experts evaluate a whole swath of vehicles to whittle down the pack to just two, the North American car and truck/utility vehicle of the year. Their votes are sent straight to a third part, Deloitte & Touche in Detroit, to be counted.

The winners will be announced at the very beginning of 2016 at the Detroit Auto Show in January. For 2015, the Volkswagen Golf /GTI and the Ford F-150 were named car and truck of the year.

The list of nominees for 2016 is below. Let us know in the comments which car you think should take the top prize.

2016 Car of the Year

BMW 7 Series
Cadillac CT6
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Malibu
Chevrolet Volt
Honda Civic
Kia Optima
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Nissan Maxima
Toyota Prius

2016 Truck/Utility of the Year

Ford Edge
Honda HR-V
Honda Pilot
Hyundai Tucson
Jeep Renegade
Kia Sorento
Lexus RX
Mazda CX-3
Nissan Titan XD
Tesla Model X
Toyota Tacoma
Volvo XC90
For more stories like this one, 2016 North American Car and Truck of the Year Short List Announced please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The auto journalism love cars and trucks like the Prius and Tesla Model X. So, those are the winners.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
something I posted on Mark Phelan (Detroit Free Press)'s facebook page & his reply...

Mark, with NAIAS not that far off, has there been any discussion among members of the Media of cancelling Any/All vehicle awards until there's greater assurance of No-More-Cheaters? ...like VW

Mark Phelan
None I'm aware of. I think we'll keep doing what we do, and trust the regulators to catch cheats. I can't think of what else to do. And, honestly, I don;t feel bad to have been deceived by something that also got past every other automaker in the world, the European Community and fooled EPA for so long. (And I didn't vote the Golf or Jetta any awards, so I think I'm unbiased on that front.)​

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
This kind of car is not the car that win this award. The auto journalist love japanese cars, hybrids, electrics, not american luxury sedans...
Well let's take a gander at past winners.

2005 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Chrysler 300/300C and Ford Escape Hybrid

2006 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Honda Civic and Honda Ridgeline

2007 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Saturn Aura and Chevy Silverado

2008 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Chevy Malibu and Mazda CX-9

2009 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Hyundai Genesis and Ford F-150

2010 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Ford Fusion Hybrid and Ford Transit Connect

2011 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Chevy Volt and Ford Explorer

2012 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Hyundai Elantra and LR Range Rover Evoque

2013 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Cadillac ATS and Ram 1500

2014 -- CAR/TRUCK -- Chevy Corvette Stingray and Chevy Silverado

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14/20 are American (70%) and 20% are "luxury."

15% are EVs or hybrids.

It isn't out of the question.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think they narrow it down to 3 in each category first.
I see them going

Cars: Civic Camaro CT6
Truck/CUV: HR-V Model X XC90

Not my picks, just my prediction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts