Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looking to defend its place as the best-selling midsize pickup in America, Toyota has fully redesigned the Tacoma for 2016.

Toyota hasn’t released specifications yet, but our the company trotted its new truck out as a preview to next week’s Detroit Auto Show. From them a few of the upgrades Toyota has brought to its new midsize pickup are obvious.

Many of the styling cues from the new Tundra are present on the small truck including the Tacoma nameplate being stamped directly into the sheet metal on the tailgate. The trailer light hookups are now above the bumper and the ground clearance appears to be increased. Finally, a V6 badge on the back of the truck reveals at least one of the engines, although it’s still not clear whether it is a new motor or the same 4.0-liter V6 the truck uses today.

In a recent interview, Toyota chief truck engineer Mike Sweers suggested that updates coming to the Tacoma would be much more substantial than those that came to the Tundra, hinting at the possibility of an updated powertrain.

Toyota hasn’t dealt with serious competition to the Tacoma in years, but General Motors is challenging its status in the segment with the new Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon siblings.
See more 2016 Toyota Tacoma photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks like the whole design staff got a turn with the ugly stick.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
maybe I am to tired so I am a bit blind but IMHO it doesn't look bad! Not wow either.

btw, Autoguide what about a leak of the MKX?:angel

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

The new 'refresh' is really trying to hard. And what's up with all that black plastic under the front bumper?

The current model looks much better.

The 2016 Colorado(sales of 4,037/Canyon at 1,533(Tacoma at 14k) for Dec up from 2,366/854 for Nov) should do well with it's cleaner, more cohesive look.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Looks big

Looks strong

Looks Ford! ( that grille is from a Ford..)

Looks winner

Ok, now... i want to know when Ford will launch a competition for this truck and the GM medium size trucks. Ford is losing something here...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think it looks perfectly fine. Its a nice evolution of the current model.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's okay, but I'm disappointed that the side sheetmetal looks a lot like the old one. It would look like just a facelift if I didn't know any better. And the black plastic at the bottom is an air dam for fuel efficiency, which basically all trucks have. But it doesn't look good in this application.

·
Registered
761 Posts
With a Ford grill and GMC taillights maybe Toyota wants buyers to believe this is an American product? I sure wish the Ranger was still on the market to kick some Toyota butt.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I hated the current Tacoma but over time its grown on me. Not sure if history will repeat itself, but I hate this new one too!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

The new 'refresh' is really trying to hard. And what's up with all that black plastic under the front bumper?
It's a spoiler, it improves airflow/aerodynamics.
Same black plastic thing you see under the F150's front bumper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts