Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Audi Q7 leaked ahead of Detroit debut

The leaked images reveal that the next Q7 retains the current model's silhouette while adopting an evolutionary design. Up front, it gains a sharper rendition of Audi's singleframe radiator grille that is inspired by the facelifted Euro-spec Q3 and angular headlights packed with LED technology. The new Q7's front end is lower than that of the current model's, a styling cue that reduces the SUV's visual mass.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-q7-2015.html#ixzz3LgaHH500

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Re: 2016 Audi Q7 leaked ahead of Detroit debut

It looks more like a station wagon than a SUV. Is this the correct picture?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

That's beautiful, but it sits a bit low for my taste.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

Who want an oversized, overpriced wagon from VW in USA??? Your car is ready!!! This is a big Passat wagon for you... with an Audi style grille!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

This would be the Audi production version of the VW CrossBlue concept wagon below.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

Who want an oversized, overpriced wagon from VW in USA??? Your car is ready!!! This is a big Passat wagon for you... with an Audi style grille!!!!!
This is designed for the European consumer. But a lower riding luxury wagon won't do well in the US where it's the height that gives the better visibility.

However in China, a lower riding wagon/SUV/CUV will allow older adults(grandparents the live with their children's family) to enter and exit more easily.

But the design looks old already. Maybe because it looks like the same old Audi from 5-7+ years ago. Actually it looks like a 'refresh' of an older station wagon(new parts on an old body) in an attempt to make it look new. Similar to the ancient Navigator with the 2015 refresh, but this is supposed to be a completely new car.

The CrossBlue looks much better, more cohesive/fresh design.

The retro dash is also getting old, done too many times for too many years, especially with the pop-up nav screen that looks out of place and last minute.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Looks good, that interior is stunning...but I'm not a fan of those floating/retractable center displays.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

That's very predictable. When is Audi going to try out a new design language?

·
Registered
500 Posts

It looks more like a station wagon than a SUV. Is this the correct picture?
My thoughts exactly!

:toetap:

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

"The 2016 Q7 rides on Volkswagen's modular MLB platform, resulting in a curb weight that checks in at 4,398 pounds."

Not sure how well VWs new modular platform 5 + 2 passenger wagon actually is relating to weight savings, the current bigger, taller 7 passenger 2012-2016 Explorer weighs just 165lbs more at 4,563. And this is before Ford starts light weighting with aluminum and more boron steel in the new 2018 model.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

That's very predictable. When is Audi going to try out a new design language?
When is BMW going to try out a new design language? I'm guessing they will do so when the current design language no longer has them looking down at everybody else. Audi's worldwide sales are every bit as high as BMW and Mercedes, they'll keep on doing what they've always done, until it stops working. Its like asking why the Mustang still looks like a Mustang, because people buy them.

As for the interior, I don't really like it much though I think the floating LCD is better than what Ford is doing in many of their vehicles. The angle in which Ford installs them makes the ripe for glare where the upright version in the Audi may look out of place, it will be clear.

Edit: For the record, I much prefer the more SUV like current Q7.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

"The 2016 Q7 rides on Volkswagen's modular MLB platform, resulting in a curb weight that checks in at 4,398 pounds."

Not sure how well VWs new modular platform 5 + 2 passenger wagon actually is relating to weight savings, the current bigger, taller 7 passenger 2012-2016 Explorer weighs just 165lbs more at 4,563. And this is before Ford starts light weighting with aluminum and more boron steel in the new 2018 model.
The 4,398 pound weight is for the 3.0 V6 TDI diesel model.
The 333hp 3.0 TSFi V6 model only weighs 4,343 pounds.
0-100km/h (62mph) takes 6.1 seconds.
All Q7s are all-wheel-drive.

The 4,563 pound weight is listed as the base curb weight of the Explorer, meaning a base trim FWD model.
You'd need to compare the new Q7 to the 4WD Platinum.
For reference a 2014 Explorer Sport weighs 4,882 pounds, 539 pounds more than the new gasoline-engine Q7.

PS: For those wondering, the new Q7's ride height can be raised by 2.4 inches (60mm) at low speeds off-road.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

When is BMW going to try out a new design language? I'm guessing they will do so when the current design language no longer has them looking down at everybody else. Audi's worldwide sales are every bit as high as BMW and Mercedes, they'll keep on doing what they've always done, until it stops working. Its like asking why the Mustang still looks like a Mustang, because people buy them.

As for the interior, I don't really like it much though I think the floating LCD is better than what Ford is doing in many of their vehicles. The angle in which Ford installs them makes the ripe for glare where the upright version in the Audi may look out of place, it will be clear.

Edit: For the record, I much prefer the more SUV like current Q7.
Just because they sell well doesn't mean they get style points. You're correct, but both are German brands. German brands are notorious for conservative design (although, MB has been bucking that trend lately).

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

looks more wagon than before......a evolutionary design......nothing great IMHO

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Audi sales lately lead me to believe that they know what they're doing... I for one like that some brands are more expressive, but I really do like the understated looks of the current crop of Audis.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Audi sales lately lead me to believe that they know what they're doing... I for one like that some brands are more expressive, but I really do like the understated looks of the current crop of Audis.
Agreed! Audi borders on boring, but manages to do understated and classy with a visual sense of quality like no other! Audi's stand the test of time phenomenally! I said when the new Fusion came out that it was a great looking car, but it was a very busy design that I didn't think would age well. The understated grace of the MKZ is what really sets it apart from the Fusion for me, would love to see Lincoln develop into an American Audi, and by that I don't mean a copy like the MKC is to a large degree, but an understated but very American design!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

imho Audi is on the verge of losing it

the jagged angles they're starting to include just don't go with the pristine (imho) forms they've been using

the Q7 (therefore)(imho) is abandonning anything subtle in the flanks/sides for boring creases
&
I really hate the weird concentric rings-around-the-wheel openings

what I really hope is that FoMoCo doesn't make FLincMoCo copy this new junk

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

imho Audi is on the verge of losing it

the jagged angles they're starting to include just don't go with the pristine (imho) forms they've been using

the Q7 (therefore)(imho) is abandonning anything subtle in the flanks/sides for boring creases
&
I really hate the weird concentric rings-around-the-wheel openings

what I really hope is that FoMoCo doesn't make FLincMoCo copy this new junk
I agree and don't like this Q7 at all. As for Audi in general I do like the recent show car they did, the A9!!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Audi just isn't boring, especially when you see them in the flesh, they have a quality and precision to them that is intrinsically beautiful (at least to me). The Lincoln MKZ shares some of that actually, it's one of my favorite designs because of that. I do think they need to get on their Q5, it's starting to look like a Lincoln ;)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^ & ^^ imho the ONLY thing saving Audi from the Ugly/Boring Betty Award
is
that
the other Luxers are soooo much worse
MB = Mazda-Envy turning into Minnie Pearl (young guys google her)
BMw = still not recovered from Ebola Bangle
Lexoid = predator/spiderface

&
SP, agree tho re: A9,
imho this style is much more '''authentic''' on the Lagonda(²);
the Audi is quite disingenuous**
((sorta making Audi a poser swiping AM's stuff)(imho))

& Borg,
Audis '''have (HAD) a quality and precision to them that is intrinsically beautiful''',
sounds v.much like what I meant by '''pristine forms'''

** def: giving a false appearance of simple frankness

1 - 20 of 24 Posts