Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some fresh new photos of the Continental prototype have surfaced revealing more details of the exterior design and a glimpse of the production interior.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/09/2017-lincoln-continental-spy-shots/#slide-3543583

We can see the center console which has a very similar design to the concept, just not drenched in Chrome. You can also see Lincoln's Sync 3 in action. The new switchgear is definitely better than what we currently have in Lincoln although it's probably not compatible with the flowing bridge designs in the MKX and MKZ right now which I'm sure will change in MCEs.

The rear end is coming into focus and it doesn't resemble the concept, the taillights have an MKX-ish design to them instead of the simpler wrap-around look of the concept. Through the camo it looks kinda clumsy with the bent shapes of the lights. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together in the final reveal. It does look like the door handles might be integrated into the window sill like the concept.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I haven't been this excited about a new Lincoln in a very long time. I would be stoked if they made a surprise announcement of a true coupe version as well.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I haven't been this excited about a new Lincoln in a very long time. I would be stoked if they made a surprise announcement of a true coupe version as well.
90%-:thumb: :angel
I sure want SOMEthing between the current Z's niche and the Conti!!

tho imho a (pardon the expression) 4-door-coupe is more likely/sellable than a 2-door

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I can't see much of the interior, but the little bit that is uncovered is very similar to the concept's interior.

Now, let's all make sure that the blue velour makes it to production!

·
Registered
212 Posts
It be nice Lincoln could locate the LCD screen more up on top of the dash like they have it in the BMW and Mercedes sedans. It really easy to look at and have your eyes on the road with minimum of effort!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It be nice Lincoln could locate the LCD screen more up on top of the dash like they have it in the BMW and Mercedes sedans. It really easy to look at and have your eyes on the road with minimum of effort!
The interface relies on Touch in the Lincoln so it needs to be reachable. Some Fords forget this and place the screens high and deep in the dashboard like on the Escape and C-Max which is awkward to use. Most luxury car makers like Mercedes and BMW use hand controllers on the console so the screen can be mounted high and deep in the dashboard for better visibility and less glare. This is probably a better solution considering the distracting nature of manipulating a lower mounted touchscreen in thin air while driving. It's a more expensive and complicated system to develop and Lincoln needs to use Ford's scalable and inexpensive system (From Fiesta to Navigator). Hopefully in the next decade we'll see Lincoln capable of developing it's own cabin tech.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Exterior lines look very very toned down (pedestrian) compared to the concepts.
Not that it will matter to the buyers of this car, but it is too bad.
That's the problem for me when they show such an extravagant concept,only to have the
production vehicle look so normal I guess is the best description I can think of.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Overall I still see at least 95% of the concept in the production vehicle so far which is good thing compared to Lincolns recent history. The taillights were going to change because from the get go they stated it was something that was years out and not feasible for production now. Like Borg said, the taillights look MKXish in shape. The headlights still have the shape of the concept but the concepts headlights weren't even legal in this country at this point.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I have no interest in the Continental as a Lincoln buyer but I'm curious about it and what it will bring to the Lincoln parts bin. I thought the Concept was a nice piece of coachwork and craftsmanship but the design itself is a little dull. Because I don't find the design compelling I have low expectations once they take away the high-end finishes of the Concept, but I'm eager to be wowed by what we finally get and I certainly would like to see something elevate the Lincoln brand.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Overall I still see at least 95% of the concept in the production vehicle so far which is good thing compared to Lincolns recent history. The taillights were going to change because from the get go they stated it was something that was years out and not feasible for production now. Like Borg said, the taillights look MKXish in shape. The headlights still have the shape of the concept but the concepts headlights weren't even legal in this country at this point.
The shape of the lights could certainly have worked on the production car, but the lighted chrome tech is obviously not feasible right now. We have to remember how this car was born, it was originally designed as an MKS successor and then they created the Continental concept informed by that design...the concept did not inform the design of the production car so apparently the concept designers changed the rear-end. That's true of all Lincoln concepts from MKZ to Continental, the concept follows the final design. You can actually see some of their MCE thinking in Concepts. For example, the hatch on the MKC concept is picks up on newer design trends which are certain to make it to the car in the next update.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Exterior lines look very very toned down (pedestrian) compared to the concepts.
Not that it will matter to the buyers of this car, but it is too bad.
That's the problem for me when they show such an extravagant concept,only to have the
production vehicle look so normal I guess is the best description I can think of.
The camo hides the body lines as it's clearly built up

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I would love to see the taillights more like the concept, it seems to be more MKX.
The interior is nice but not stunning as it should be IMO

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^^^^ I never thought the "lines" were anything but subtle...understated...near-inconsequential
whereas
- the graphics are close to extreme and
- the proportions, overall shape was sublime

Not really a car for me, but 'tis enticing nonetheless.
Really?
- are you just being practical?
- or would you not want one if given-free?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
The shape of the lights could certainly have worked on the production car, but the lighted chrome tech is obviously not feasible right now.
-----
We have to remember how this car was born, it was originally designed as an MKS successor and then they created the Continental concept informed by that design...the concept did not inform the design of the production car so apparently the concept designers changed the rear-end.
-----
That's true of all Lincoln concepts from MKZ to Continental, the concept follows the final design. You can actually see some of their MCE thinking in Concepts. For example, the hatch on the MKC concept is picks up on newer design trends which are certain to make it to the car in the next update.
I've said before,
imhO the chrome-thru TLs are just a durability problem ...ie MYLAR shows wear too easily and prolley doesn't like UV light
-----
not sure about the distinction you're making here, Borg
(( my main questions are for a vehilce between the Z & Conti.
I just don't see the Conti fulfilling the role of an MKS ^^^^ replacement, regardless how it started ))
-----
not sure about the MKC's hatch and don't really care that much if it's used again or OneOff...
...I'm really thinking (for good or ill) Lincoln is being quite experimental in their Design(not just Style) approach

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^^^^ I never thought the "lines" were anything but subtle...understated...near-inconsequential
whereas
- the graphics (mainly grille & HLs) are close to extreme and
- the proportions, overall shape was sublime...
Reposting a post I put in this thread a while back about the taillights...

CONTINENTAL CONCEPT
imhO
the ContiConc's TLs are close to being UN-styled - just slightly (deliciously) more than a bare minimum
and
that applies to much of the car

just an observation :angel fwiw

·
Registered
528 Posts
The shape of the lights could certainly have worked on the production car, but the lighted chrome tech is obviously not feasible right now. We have to remember how this car was born, it was originally designed as an MKS successor and then they created the Continental concept informed by that design...the concept did not inform the design of the production car so apparently the concept designers changed the rear-end. That's true of all Lincoln concepts from MKZ to Continental, the concept follows the final design. You can actually see some of their MCE thinking in Concepts. For example, the hatch on the MKC concept is picks up on newer design trends which are certain to make it to the car in the next update.
Good points, but they did not just create a Conti prototype and kept the MKS successor unchanged. They build Conti, and then turned it to 11 with the conti concept. I see the different lights in the back, but 90% of that is camo. I do not see enough evidence that the production car will have different lights.

Also ... there is no easier way to make the UBER Black label $70k version enticing than to give it the trick tail lights. I think the shape will remain, but the chrome-through trick will either be absent or optional.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Good points, but they did not just create a Conti prototype and kept the MKS successor unchanged. They build Conti, and then turned it to 11 with the conti concept. I see the different lights in the back, but 90% of that is camo. I do not see enough evidence that the production car will have different lights.

Also ... there is no easier way to make the UBER Black label $70k version enticing than to give it the trick tail lights. I think the shape will remain, but the chrome-through trick will either be absent or optional.
I too seriously doubt that the camo underneath the camo is anything representative to what the final lights are. And honestly, we can't see **** anyway, especially the interior.

If they achieve 50% of the concept, I think this thing will sell far better just in looks over the MKS. Luckily it is far more than that.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts