Ford Inside News banner

561 - 580 of 636 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I think what they are experiencing is a drawback driving one brand after another to test and then their own daily driver. Their experience with the vehicle and how it functions will be different than an actual owner who drives the car every day**. For example, if the throttle response of the Continental is different than their daily driver that they like and are accustomed to driving, a different throttle response would feel odd or as if something is wrong. There are many aspects of vehicle behavior that are just subjective.
a long-time doubt of mine is adaptive transmissions that (supposedly) learn, either:
-- how YOU drive
-- how to *accommodate* how you drive
-- how to survive how you drive
-- how to deal-with the ROADS you drive on...usually**
first day of a highway roadtrip, it'll suck :: 1st day back to commuting, it'll suck??

if this isn't mostly hype (it's really YOU getting used to IT, not vice-versa),
I wonder if the poor transmissions would get totally confused by having a dozen or more different drivers, one after the other?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The adaptive transmission is an old myth, but when the transmission is new it calibrates the pressures in the system as it's driven. So indeed the transmission is 'adapting' very early on, but only because it's running and not because of the driver. This is a behavior fundamental to basically any ATX with electronics in them.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #564 (Edited)
autonews.com
Continental Revival Pays Dividends for Lincoln Brand

Michael Martinez

The Lincoln Continental has “catapulted us into a true fight in the luxury marketplace,” says Chris Poulos, general manager of a Houston dealership.

A year after the Lincoln Continental came back to life, dealers and company officials say the flagship sedan is not only selling well and steadily gaining market share, it's boosting the fortunes of other Lincoln vehicles.

The return of the Continental nameplate after a nearly 15-year absence drew curious customers into showrooms after its introduction in September 2016. When some decided they couldn't afford the $45,925 base car, including shipping — it's nearly $82,000 for a fully loaded, swanky Black Label variant — they opted to buy an MKZ sedan, MKC crossover or other Lincoln.

"It's become a springboard to selling our other products," said Chris Poulos, general manager of West Point Lincoln in Houston. "When you look at what it does for people coming into the store, it's huge. I think it brought us fully back to relevance. Lincoln is growing because of it."

Lincoln's U.S. sales rose 3.2 percent through the first eight months of 2017, even as the overall luxury industry was flat. Since the launch, Lincoln has sold 13,281 Continentals in the U.S. and 6,319 in China through August.

West Point Lincoln had sold 76 Continentals this year through August. Of those, 13 percent were the high-end Black Labels.

"I think it's reshaped what Lincoln is," Poulos said. "It's catapulted us into a true fight in the luxury marketplace."

Although Continental sales have declined sequentially in each of the past three months, it's outselling the Cadillac CT6, 8,020 to 7,143, in the year's first eight months. Poulos said his used-car lot is full of BMW 7-series sedans that buyers have traded in for the Continental.

"It's been hands down the easiest conversion we've had," he said.

A fully loaded Black Label version of the Lincoln Continental can cost nearly $82,000.

Punching above weight

Lincoln President Kumar Galhotra said the Continental's month-over-month market share gains have outpaced those of the Lincoln brand. Through August, it has a 14 percent share of the large luxury sedan segment, trailing only the Cadillac XTS and the Mercedes-Benz S class, according to the Automotive News Data Center. Its predecessor, the MKS, accounted for just 7.2 percent of the segment in 2015, its last full year of production.

"It's been consistently punching above its weight," Galhotra said.

The Continental joined Lincoln's lineup in the 1930s, when it was developed as a one-off vehicle for Edsel Ford. It gained cachet through the 1950s and '60s as it was used in movies, owned by celebrities and served as the limousine of U.S. presidents, infamously carrying John F. Kennedy the day he was assassinated.

Lincoln wanted to tap into its heritage to help bring back customers to the brand. Galhotra said the name itself evoked strong feelings during the car's development.

Originally, designers knew only that they were supposed to create a "large Lincoln."

"For the first few weeks, there really wasn't a standout design," he said. "Then the leadership team told the design team they were designing the next Continental. You could almost see an immediate change in the room. Right there was a very important lesson in the emotion behind the name."

'Look at me'

Lincoln picked the 10th-generation Continental as a showcase for some of its most luxurious features.

It includes Perfect Position 30-way adjustable front seats and a Lincoln-exclusive EcoBoost 3.0-liter V-6 engine rated at 400 hp and 400 pounds-feet of torque. The Continental concept that debuted at the 2015 New York auto show gave customers the first look at the brand's new mesh grille, although the grille's production debut came on the MKZ.

While sedan sales have struggled in recent years, Poulos said the Continental has carved out a nice niche.

"All the manufacturers are putting a lot of their cards into SUVs and crossovers right now," Poulos said. "But there still needs to be a car that is a luxury sedan that people see as a 'look at me' car. I really believe the Continental is a 'look at me' car."

·
Registered
273 Posts
I love hearing that the car is getting some well deserved love! I'd love for Ford/Lincoln to fully commit to moving the Continental upmarket once a new RWD or RWD-looking platform (like Volvo's S90) is ready. I'd love to see them make it truly G90/7 Series/S-Class/XJL/A8L in size, and move it closer to the size of the Concept. The only other additions I'd give the car is the new Navigator's bigger/wider infotainment screen, as well as a rear seat entertainment package.

For those in the "know", I had a weird question: for something like the Continental Concept, I know they had a drive-able concept car as well if I'm not mistaken. What platform did they use for the concept? It looked like it had RWD proportions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The adaptive transmission is an old myth, but when the transmission is new it calibrates the pressures in the system as it's driven. So indeed the transmission is 'adapting' very early on, but only because it's running and not because of the driver. This is a behavior fundamental to basically any ATX with electronics in them.
Absolutely correct. It does not adapt to the driver and never has.

Automatic Transmission Adaptive
Learning
This feature increases durability and provides
consistent shift feel over the life of your
vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may
have firm or soft shifts. This operation will
not affect function or durability of your
transmission and is normal. Over time, the
adaptive learning process will fully update
transmission operation. Additionally, the
strategy must be relearned whenever the
battery is disconnected or a new battery is
installed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
..... and someone here recomended Fod abandon Lincoln because they are incompetent to run a luxury brand...
I might be that someone but I'm not alone.

That incompetence has been on display for the last 5 decades but I didn't recommend that Ford abandon Lincoln. I recommended that unless they get serious about transforming Lincoln into a true luxury brand they should abandon Lincoln.

Lincoln is not a luxury brand, despite the hype offered by Ford executives. Everything about Lincoln shouts "Premium," not luxury. Note the dealer who says that people are curious about the Continental but they can't afford it and end up buying the MKZ or a CUV. True luxury customers can afford the Continental but most will shop it because they know that it doesn't quite measure up.

IMHO, in order for Lincoln to become "luxury" and be taken seriously by luxury customers:

1) Lincoln must differentiate it from Ford models by introducing models that do not mirror what is available in Ford showrooms and never will be.*

2) Ford must allow the creation of new platforms for Lincoln to forever erase the perception (and the reality) that Lincolns are merely tarted-up Fords. It would be insane to have parallel FWD platforms so make Lincoln the RWD-based brand. The CD6, if Hackett will allow the investment, should make this feasible.

3) Ford must make a corporate decision to introduce ALL of the newest high-tech innovations on Lincoln first.

So my recommendation stands on its own. This has been my mantra from the very beginning of my participation in FIN's Lincoln Discussion. My words speak for themselves and need no interpretation.

The upgraded Lincoln showroom experience - only partially successful due to dealer resistance to large investments for unknown returns - is a great step in the right direction. Now all that's needed is great product.

*I know that a Continental sized car is not available from Ford but, if the trends change, Ford could always re-introduce the Taurus.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts

That incompetence has been on display for the last 5 decades but I didn't recommend that Ford abandon Lincoln. I recommended that unless they get serious about transforming Lincoln into a true luxury brand they should abandon Lincoln.

Lincoln is not a luxury brand, despite the hype offered by Ford executives. Everything about Lincoln shouts "Premium," not luxury. Note the dealer who says that people are curious about the Continental but they can't afford it and end up buying the MKZ or a CUV. True luxury customers can afford the Continental but most will shop it because they know that it doesn't quite measure up.

IMHO, in order for Lincoln to become "luxury" and be taken seriously by luxury customers:

1) Lincoln must differentiate it from Ford models by introducing models that do not mirror what is available in Ford showrooms and never will be.*

2) Ford must allow the creation of new platforms for Lincoln to forever erase the perception (and the reality) that Lincolns are merely tarted-up Fords. It would be insane to have parallel FWD platforms so make Lincoln the RWD-based brand. The CD6, if Hackett will allow the investment, should make this feasible.

3) Ford must make a corporate decision to introduce ALL of the newest high-tech innovations on Lincoln first.

So my recommendation stands on its own. This has been my mantra from the very beginning of my participation in FIN's Lincoln Discussion. My words speak for themselves and need no interpretation.

The upgraded Lincoln showroom experience - only partially successful due to dealer resistance to large investments for unknown returns - is a great step in the right direction. Now all that's needed is great product.

*I know that a Continental sized car is not available from Ford but, if the trends change, Ford could always re-introduce the Taurus.

I'm not talking about you when i said that... but..."al que le pica, es porque aji come" (sorry for use spanish... google traslator can help you...)

And about your 3 recomendation to Ford to transform Lincoln in a "true luxury brand and taken seriously by luxury customers" i need to say:

1- Lincoln must differentiate from Ford: Lincoln is doing it rigth now: the Continental is the first vehicle with no equivalent in Ford dealer (Taurus is builded on different platform and is a different vehicle)

2- The "RWD platform mantra for luxury brands". RWD is not required to be a luxury brand. Audi can show you what is possible to do with FWD platforms. And you considere Audi a "tarted-up VW" because share the platforms?

3- All the high-tech first on Lincoln: check the european site for VW and configure a Golf... you will find there all the tech VW can put in a car , included all the semi-autonomous driver assistance tech that are available in an Audi.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Let's see if CD6 is what we're hoping it will be before writing Lincoln off completely.

As for the high-tech innovations.....I get what you're saying, but I don't think it does them any good to artificially limit the Ford brand just so Lincoln can have something first. Then there's the perception that Ford is behind other brands because it doesn't offer things its competition does just so Lincoln can have it. Tech should launch simultaneously. Or if you prefer, they could launch the redesigned/all new Lincoln model XYZ featuring technology ABC, and then later in the year launch the Ford equivalent with the same tech, so that the Lincoln launches first.

I'm not talking about you when i said that... but..."al que le pica, es porque aji come" (sorry for use spanish... google traslator can help you...)

And about your 3 recomendation to Ford to transform Lincoln in a "true luxury brand and taken seriously by luxury customers" i need to say:

1- Lincoln must differentiate from Ford: Lincoln is doing it rigth now: the Continental is the first vehicle with no equivalent in Ford dealer (Taurus is builded on different platform and is a different vehicle)

2- The "RWD platform mantra for luxury brands". RWD is not required to be a luxury brand. Audi can show you what is possible to do with FWD platforms. And you considere Audi a "tarted-up VW" because share the platforms?

3- All the high-tech first on Lincoln: check the european site for VW and configure a Golf... you will find there all the tech VW can put in a car , included all the semi-autonomous driver assistance tech that are available in an Audi.
I agree with most of what you said. I think RWD (or at least the visual appearance of it a-la the S90) gives the brand a better image, though, at least at the top end of the lineup. At the lower end, I think you can get away with FWD/AWD if the proportions are there.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I kinda agree mostly with EVERYbody :D
tho
now I'm wondering what would have happened if a different solution Pre-2010, led to Lincoln going (at least STARTING to go) ALL electric ie pure-BEV...
...either BY-or-Before the Model S came out in mid-2012

...I'd love to see them make it truly G90/7 Series/S-Class/XJL/A8L in size, and move it closer to the size of the Concept...
...For those in the "know", I had a weird question: for something like the Continental Concept, I know they had a drive-able concept car as well if I'm not mistaken. What platform did they use for the concept? It looked like it had RWD proportions.
I've never seen dimensions for the ContiConcept
nor what it was built "on" ... even which wheels got power (tho that last might be out there somewhere.
AFAIK, it could be on an old CrownVic/TownCar Panther platform -- just cuz it'd be easy to "hang" a tophat onto the body-on-frame (WHICH
I'm convinced is what they did for the MKT-Concept!!)

·
Registered
10,933 Posts

Thanks for your opinions.
But there are many ways to define a luxury brand, and Lincoln absolutely IS a luxury brand.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Are you under the impression that you can get serious about Lincoln overnight? Do you believe that world class platforms grow on trees? Anybody that looks at Lincoln today compared to just four years ago would recognize that they serious. They should also realize that you don't go from rebadged mainstream product to Mercedes in four years.

Lincoln is not a luxury brand, despite the hype offered by Ford executives. Everything about Lincoln shouts "Premium," not luxury.
To me premium says expensive high end products and brands like BMW and Tesla fall into that category. Luxury on the other hand is all about comfort and top quality materials, which to me are brands like Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, and yes, Lincoln. It is possible for a luxury brand to also be premium, this is where at this point in time Lincoln falls away from the other three brands.

Premium is a mind set, or something you perceive. Luxury is a feeling, or something you experience. That just my opinion and of course how we define those terms is very subjective.

Not sure what point you're making here, does the MKC mirror the Escape? If yes wouldn't the Q3 also mirror the Escape, or more directly the Tiguan? Lincoln cannot simply create their own market segments, and the existing segments cross over between mainstream and luxury/premium. I don't think point number one has any merit.

My personal preference is for Lincoln to continue their current course of "Quite Luxury", but with underpinnings more inline with Genesis. They should be capable in terms of performance, but not worry about matching up with M and V-spec type vehicles. Powerful and capable, but not full on sports sedans/CUVs/SUVs. Lincoln can do all that while using D6 as it's been rumored. I think we're mostly, if not completely in agreement on number two.

First doesn't really matter to me so long as these innovations are found in Lincolns in a timely manner, not five years after they go mainstream in other brands.

Each all new Lincoln has shown great progress over the last all new Lincoln in terms of design, execution, and materials. As we begin to see D6 product enter Lincoln showrooms I have little doubt that will continue. The bigger question in my mind is will Lincoln lag way behind, and if so, for how long, on key things like electrification and autonomy?

With CD4 based product that may have mattered. If D6 is as flexible as rumored it won't.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ best post EVER, SP! :thumb: did Mrs.SP help?
OR
is THIS, Mrs.SP??? :thumb: :thumb:
quoting for posterity! & later comments:
Are you under the impression that you can get serious about Lincoln overnight? Do you believe that world class platforms grow on trees? Anybody that looks at Lincoln today compared to just four years ago would recognize that they serious. They should also realize that you don't go from rebadged mainstream product to Mercedes in four years.
:thumb:
[...]

To me premium says expensive high end products and brands like BMW and Tesla fall into that category. Luxury on the other hand is all about comfort and top quality materials, which to me are brands like Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, and yes, Lincoln. It is possible for a luxury brand to also be premium, this is where at this point in time Lincoln falls away from the other three brands.
Premium is a mind set, or something you perceive. Luxury is a feeling, or something you experience. That just my opinion and of course how we define those terms is very subjective.

[...glyphics
1) Lincoln must differentiate it from Ford models by introducing models that do not mirror what is available in Ford showrooms and never will be.* ]

Not sure what point you're making here, does the MKC mirror the Escape? If yes wouldn't the Q3 also mirror the Escape, or more directly the Tiguan? Lincoln cannot simply create their own market segments, and the existing segments cross over between mainstream and luxury/premium. I don't think point number one has any merit.

[...]

My personal preference is for Lincoln to continue their current course of "QuiET Luxury", but with underpinnings more inline with Genesis. They should be capable in terms of performance, but not worry about matching up with M and V-spec type vehicles. Powerful and capable, but not full on sports sedans/CUVs/SUVs. Lincoln can do all that while using D6 as it's been rumored. I think we're mostly, if not completely in agreement on number two.

[...]

First doesn't really matter to me so long as these innovations are found in Lincolns in a timely manner, not five years after they go mainstream in other brands.

[...]

Each all new Lincoln has shown great progress over the last all new Lincoln in terms of design, execution, and materials. As we begin to see D6 product enter Lincoln showrooms I have little doubt that will continue. The bigger question in my mind is will Lincoln lag way behind, and if so, for how long, on key things like electrification and autonomy?
[...]

With CD4 based product that may have mattered. If D6 is as flexible as rumored it won't.

re: Glyphics's #1
imho, that could be subjective definitional differences = I agree with you BOTH
and do not find that a contradiction

re:

for me, there's an issue with not thinking outside the mainstream-box enough
(don't want perfume sprayers but)
firmly believe there's stuff/gizmos/capabilities that are just NOT being considered (let alone worked on) becuz they'd be a generation or three away from FordBrand-level afFORDability...
...only got terrain-road satellite pre-conditioning of the suspension (MBenz) off the top of my tinfoilhat

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

My personal preference is for Lincoln to continue their current course of "Quite Luxury", but with underpinnings more inline with Genesis. They should be capable in terms of performance, but not worry about matching up with M and V-spec type vehicles. Powerful and capable, but not full on sports sedans/CUVs/SUVs. Lincoln can do all that while using D6 as it's been rumored. I think we're mostly, if not completely in agreement on number two.

Yeah, I didn't understand that comment either.

I think he meant directly based on or only lightly differentiated from the Ford equivalent.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yeah, I didn't understand that comment either.

I think he meant directly based on or only lightly differentiated from the Ford equivalent.
The MKZ isn't just "lightly differentiated" from the Fusion.
The MKC isn't just "lightly differentiated" from the Escape.
The MKX isn't just "lightly differentiated" from the Edge.
The Navigator is the only vehicle in the Lincoln lineup that shares major body panels with it's Ford platform mate.

If Lincoln could magically change the drive wheels on the first three, but nothing else, would that make things all better? There is no angle on point number one that makes any sense to me.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The MKZ isn't just "lightly differentiated" from the Fusion.
The MKC isn't just "lightly differentiated" from the Escape.
The MKX isn't just "lightly differentiated" from the Edge.
The Navigator is the only vehicle in the Lincoln lineup that shares major body panels with it's Ford platform mate.

If Lincoln could magically change the drive wheels on the first three, but nothing else, would that make things all better? There is no angle on point number one that makes any sense to me.
Hey, I'm on your side. I agree his comment doesn't make much sense, and that the current crop of Lincolns are easily the most differentiated they've been in decades.

I was just trying to interpret what he was getting at.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Lincoln Dealer Says People Are Swapping BMW 7-Series For New Continental
CarScoops
| Sergiu Tudose | Sept 25, 2017

The Lincoln Continental is back after nearly a decade and a half, and according to company officials, it's showing early signs of long-term growth and success.

Apparently, the new Continental isn't just selling well, it's also gaining market share while boosting the image of other Lincoln products.

"It's become a springboard to selling our other products," says Chris Poulos, general manager of West Point Lincoln in Houston. "When you look at what it does for people coming into the store, it's huge. I think it brought us fully back to relevance. Lincoln is growing because of it."

Through the first 8 months of 2017, Lincoln sales went up by 3.2% with 13,281 Continental models sold in the U.S. and 6,319 units in China, as reported by Autonews.

Poulos also says that his used-car lot is full of BMW 7-Series models traded in for the new Continental.

"It's been hands down the easiest conversation we've had," he adds, while Lincoln president Kumar Galhotra will gladly point to how the Continental's month-over-month market share gains have been extremely impressive.

Through August, the Continental has a 14% market share of the large luxury sedan segment, trailing just the Cadillac XTS and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

"It's been consistently punching above its weight," concludes Galhotra.

561 - 580 of 636 Posts