Ford Inside News banner

621 - 636 of 636 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If I were purchasing the Continental I would pick one of two exterior combos. I'm a simple man.

1: The Chalet theme. White Platinum with those pinwheel wheels. Swoon.
2: That sexy copper with the pinwheel wheels.

Everything else looks nice but those two combos are just pure luxury to my eyes.

Also I am a young person and I think that model in the last video is fine. I don't really look at him anyhow, I look at the car. He's also way more attractive than like 99% of Americans so I think it's fine lol.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The weather stripping on the windshield makes light colors clash on the Continental.
I don't think that's true. It's black, what makes anything clash with black weather stripping?

Granted, I do see what you are referring to, but I think it's a negligible contribution to the design, especially with the tinted glass roof.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't think that's true. It's black, what makes anything clash with black weather stripping?

Granted, I do see what you are referring to, but I think it's a negligible contribution to the design, especially with the tinted glass roof.
It’s more to do with the size of the A-Pillar—if it went to where the weather stripping begins then it wouldn’t stick out as much.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Comparison tests are entertaining to read or, in this case, watch. However, when it comes to picking a "winner," it really speaks more to the reviewers preferences than it does the car's abilities. For that reason, buyers should put their preferences first and not be swayed by the preferences of others.

If I were choosing one of the 3 cars in the comparison, I would dismiss the Volvo completely. I have always liked Volvos and spent quite a bit of time in S60s and S80s. I liked the AWD S80 V8 immensely. However, for me, the S90 is a joke with its 4 cylinder engine. It does have a nice interior but in most other ways, I would put it more in the class of the MKZ than the Conti or G90.

Between the Conti and the G90, my pick would be...and was...the Conti due to several factors: Acceleration, seat comfort, useful and friendly tech, aftermarket support and price.

Others could most definitely rank them differently based on what is important to them.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Family Guy is kinda late with that joke, but still kinda cool seeing the MKZ animated!
They did a pretty good job animating it too you can see the MLT 4 quadrants on the screen lol

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Motor Trend, typical american automotive journalism, say something like these:

" On a near-$80,000 diesel-powered Ford F-250 King Ranch truck, you might not be able to hear the buzzing of a massaging seat, but it’s far more obvious on a luxury sedan." Obvious... in a luxury sedan as quiet as the Continental you can hear the flutter of an angel!

"Continental lacks a traditional gear selector stalk. Instead, after you press the start button, you’ll find buttons to the left of the center-stack screen to engage park, reverse, neutral, drive, or a sport mode. This system won’t be for everyone, and not having a gear stalk means you don’t have something to wrap your right hand around when you’re at a long red light or waiting in a loading zone." This is completly ridiculous! It occurs to me what he can grab with his hand, especially if he go accompanied by a partner... but i will not say it because is reprehensible.

"There’s also a giant center armrest with controls, limited audio controls, a small info screen, two USBs, and cupholders. One editor found that the cupholders felt cheap, and we wish the two rear USBs were located in a more convenient spot in the center armrest instead of below the central rear air vents." A cheap cupholders? How is an expensive cupholder? Lined in alcantara? and want the USB port in another site.... and if Lincoln had placed the USB port in the center arm rest, the journalist would say that he prefers to keep them out of sight.... Those are the complaints(apart from the size of the center sreen of the infotaintment, that is true).... they have nothing bad to comment about one of the best interior in the automotive industry.

P.S.: and in the same edition of M/T, a crazy comparo of the BMW 7 series, Genesis G90, Lincoln Continental and Lexus LS (a crazy selection of competitors... the Continental and the Genesis are better conpetitors of the Mercedes E series, BMW 5 series and Audi A6 because there is a price gap of 20000$ with Lexus and BMW), with the Genesis as a winner.... crazy... really crazy results...M/T complain about the harsh ride of the Continental in sport mode... Of course M/T ... is the SPORT mode... whatever... this magazine is not serious. This comparo is bullshit. The link: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genesis/g90/2018/bmw-740e-vs-lexus-ls-500-vs-genesis-g90-33t-vs-lincoln-continental-30/

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Motor Trend, typical americanautomotive "journalism"(?)...
:thumb:
imho - expecting better of ANY fan-based/industry-supported "Tabloid" is doomed...
my Alternative: ALEX On AUTOS
imho
rather than wade thru an equivalent of what's really "an auto-fixation rant" filled with googled-phrases that got them kicked out of remedial writing-class,
I'll take plain-speech and excellent organizational & explanatory skills with a gift for knowing the best ways (and comparos) to help one feel they were "along for the ride"
:thumb: @ Alex!!

...P.S.: and in the same edition of M/T, a crazy comparo** of the BMW 7 series, Genesis G90, Lincoln Continental and Lexus LS (a crazy selection of competitors... the Continental and the Genesis are better conpetitors of the Mercedes E series, BMW 5 series and Audi A6 because there is a price gap of 20000$ with Lexus and BMW), with the Genesis as a winner.... crazy... really crazy results...M/T complain about the harsh ride of the Continental in sport mode... Of course M/T ... is the SPORT mode... whatever... this magazine is not serious. This comparo is bullshit. The link:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genesis/g90/2018/bmw-740e-vs-lexus-ls-500-vs-genesis-g90-33t-vs-lincoln-continental-30/
I gotta wonder if the market itself is the **crazy-making part ?
Rather than pick on the median-price($100k? "...What if you shudder at the thought of dropping 100 large on a depreciating asset? - We’ve got you covered...")of the over-all industry, imho it would be HELPFUL to start at either end THEN work all the way across the 'spectrum' ...since MT mentioned *Luxury* = fine: LET's start with some sheik's totally-bespoke $million-plus RR and compare an 'off-the-shelf' S-crass MB to it
AND
maybe-only let people who OWN both (or own ONE but legitimately Shopped Both) write about them?
>:)
:nerd:

·
Registered
160 Posts
American Luxury Sedans Aren't Big Enough

Enclosed is a link to a recent online article from R&T, entitled: American Luxury Sedans Aren't Big Enough. Although, I initially laughed when I read the title, further meditation has caused me to agree with the author. Here's a quote from the article:

"this isn’t a powertrain issue. In fact, you don’t need to be an engineer, or even an enthusiast, to see the Continental’s big problem. It’s easily expressed in a single number: 201.4. That’s the car’s length, expressed in good old American inches, and, as Marshal Lucky from the film Used Cars would say, that’s too… freakin’… short. The rest of the dimensions are similarly parsimonious. As a result, the not-so-big Lincoln lacks street presence. Since that’s the only reason anybody buys a full-boat luxury car, it’s no wonder that sales have been a bit, ahem, modest. Cadillac’s CT6 might have a wicked twin-turbo V8 on the way, but it, too, is miniaturized for no good reason. Parked next to an S-Class, it looks positively Cimarron-esque...This stubborn insistence on the part of both Lincoln and Cadillac on mid-sizing their full-sizers would make a lot more sense if pretty much every other prestige vehicle on the market was not in the process of becoming bigger and/or more imposing-looking. The current S-Class is a leviathan, as are its direct competitors. Rolls-Royce is currently fielding the massive Phantom and nearly as massive Ghost, both of which look like they could fit a Silver Shadow in their back seats."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a25250756/american-luxury-sedans-arent-big-enough/

As a Gen X'er (1961-1981), I was quite excited when my Dad brought home the family's brand new fully equipped black 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V, with turbine spoked wheels! The Mark V was three inches shorter than the "old school" Town Car, at a sporty 230 inches long. In spite of Dad's move to Japanese sports cars in the early eighties, and to German luxury cars in the mid to latter 1980's due to better build and resale value, there was little doubt that the American luxury automobiles of my childhood, had presence. Recently, one of my Dad's slightly younger peers revealed, their friends excitement when Dad returned to their campus in 1969, driving his new 1969 Lincoln Continental sedan. His classmate remarked, "It was shiny, big, classy, and elegant, and it really inspired me to work hard."

Yes, even though, previous American automobiles were not the best performers or handlers, had questionable styling, they held undeniable presence, and no one questioned your arrival. They were unashamedly large sedans, and in retrospect, I liked that aspect about them as a little guy, and, now, I still do. :cool:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
I bet a new Continental will have a longer 121 inch wheelbase like the other large sedans with electrification. But I think Lincoln had planned all along to offer a new 'large sedan'.

Just an FYI.....Baby Boomer is 1946 - 1964 and Gen x is 1965 - 1980. With Gen Y starting 1981 - 2000. There is no overlap. This is one of the reasons that Wikipedia and websites are not allowed as a research tool or as a source in University, since incorrect information is easily adopted across websites.

621 - 636 of 636 Posts