Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Ford hot hatch family is growing.

After Ford confirmed the Focus RS will finally come to the U.S., rumors of a Fiesta RS began spreading and now we’ve got the first proof that it’s in the works.

AutoGuide.com‘s spy photographers have caught a 2017 Ford Fiesta RS mule testing alongside a Focus RS prototype. Though it’s still using the standard Fiesta body, we can see a modified front end with additional cooling components hidden behind the temporary grille.

There are also fender flares to give the Fiesta RS a wider track while temporary body panels can be seen on the rear of the car.

Considering Ford Performance manager Tyrone Johnson has gone on the record saying that “there’s more to come from the current Fiesta,” it’s appearing more than likely that the Fiesta RS will be one of Ford Performance’s new vehicles that the company has promised. Expect much more aggressive bodywork to make its way on the production Fiesta RS along with upgraded brakes, suspension and a 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine churning around 250 hp.
For more on this story, 2017 Ford Fiesta RS Mule Spied Testing and all the latest auto news please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

That intercooler on the side looks like the one on the current Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost (below).

Fiesta ST with a bigger intercooler mounted low.

Wouldn't it be more logical to test components/engine of a Fiesta RS on a Fiesta ST?
This could be a mule for a new Fiesta. 2 years isn't that far away, they should be developing it now.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd really only be interested in spending the extra dough for the FiRS if it had AWD. If not, just gimme a loaded Focus ST for a similar price and more space. Cool idea, but I don't find it to be a "must have" in the same way I think of the FoRS.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Only makes sense to offer the ST models as FWD and the RS models as AWD. So much easier to market the family of hot hatches if there's consistency like that.
Agreed, but I fear a FiRS would worsen the redundancy. Having two of the STs is a good idea because of the pricing differentiation. But cramming a FiRS in the mix will clutter up the FoST's consumer base even more than the FiST already does. Mind you, all that money goes to Ford anyways, so why not let consumers relish in their choices, right!?

Ecosport RS anyone? :p
I would love that! I'd like to see it off-road purposed, though, a la "FAST Trailhawk" meets "baby Raptor".

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
just-imho
if the FiRS doesn't have much more than ~250hp (what did the RevoKnuckle FoRS have?),
I'd sorta/almost rather it Not have Awd

the FiST has such an exhilarating, revoke-the-Laws-of-Physics attitude
that I'd hope that isn't messed with
People seem to be overlooking this... What do you think?
AM222 said:

That intercooler on the side looks like the one on the current Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost (below).

Fiesta ST with a bigger intercooler mounted low.

Wouldn't it be more logical to test components/engine of a Fiesta RS on a Fiesta ST?
This could be a mule for a new Fiesta. 2 years isn't that far away, they should be developing it now.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
^ :thumb:
tho as reported in yet another FiRS thread
a FiST update will come first ...OR maybe it's a new 1.0EB tune to go with a new transmission?
I'm sure a re-tuned 1.0 EcoBoost wouldn't need a wider track.
Perhaps the next Fiesta will be wider. They could be testing the next Fiesta's revised suspension, drivetrain and cooling system (those could be the size of the grill openings of the next Fiesta)

If the Fiesta RS is being developed and the current Fiesta will be replaced in 2 years, they should be at a more advance stage of development by now since it would have to be launched by next year (for a 1 year run).
Why not test RS components in a Fiesta ST?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
^ :thumb:
tho as reported in yet another FiRS thread
a FiST update will come first ...OR maybe it's a new 1.0EB tune to go with a new transmission?
They could be developing a Fiesta RS, but this high riding, small-wheeled mule with a small 1.0 EcoBoost intercooler probably isn't it.

I'm sure a re-tuned 1.0 EcoBoost wouldn't need a wider track.
Perhaps the next Fiesta will be wider.
They could be testing the drivetrain and cooling system (those could be the size of the grill openings of the next Fiesta)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts