1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
is it just me or does the center console look lower?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Couple things we should see:

Rotary shifter
Physical buttons for Sync 3
Auto Start/Stop on more trims

Fusion should receive the new 2.0 that's in the Edge. Titanium should receive the 9-speed.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Looks much the same as the new Taurus

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here is a guess.

Jaguar patented the rotary shifter for US and Europe, but not China. So Ford is not offering this in the markets where it would infringe, but is happily aping the idea in China.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Here is a guess.

Jaguar patented the rotary shifter for US and Europe, but not China. So Ford is not offering this in the markets where it would infringe, but is happily aping the idea in China.
That wouldn't work for FCA since the Ram 1500 and Chrysler 200 have rotary shifters.

·
Registered
95 Posts
And in a 200 rental this week, one of us inadvertently hit the knob to Reverse while in Drive, and the car immediately started going into Reverse! A big safety problem. It didn't go to Neutral, it immediately went backwards and we almost hit a car behind us...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Someone sayid that the next Fusion will get the new 9 speed trans? really?? Ford has been slow to produce the new more-than-6 speed transmisions...

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Someone sayid that the next Fusion will get the new 9 speed trans? really?? Ford has been slow to produce the new more-than-6 speed transmisions...
That's not new Ford tends to be really behind on transmissions in general. Remember how long it took for Ford to move away from 4 and 5 speed automatics? The Transit Connect still had a 4 speed up until it's refresh. The E Series still has 4 and 5 speed automatics.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The Ram and 200 wouldn't have Jaguar-designed units.
Who said this one is Jaguar designed? If anything the 200 looks more Jaguar than the Ford one.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not new Ford tends to be really behind on transmissions in general. Remember how long it took for Ford to move away from 4 and 5 speed automatics? The Transit Connect still had a 4 speed up until it's refresh. The E Series still has 4 and 5 speed automatics.
Ford was one of the quickest to transition to 6-Spd transmissions. Briefly, they were one of the first to use CVTs in mainstream vehicles.

Ford is falling behind now but how quickly will they transition to 9-spd? They tend to prefer company wide transitions and engineer parts that work that way so they better get it perfect.

Ford is in bad need of a smoother more intuitive automatic so I'm hoping this is their answer. After driving Nissan CVTs I'm definitely sold on that technology and hope to see Ford return to this area as well.

I've driven a few Fiestas and Focuses and the transmission is more willing to play, but it's also super twitchy and unpleasant in light driving situations.

Ford, I hope you're figuring this out.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Ford was one of the quickest to transition to 6-Spd transmissions. Briefly, they were one of the first to use CVTs in mainstream vehicles.
Eh I disagree I feel like they really dragged their feet on quite a few models.

Cars:
Compact - The Focus had a 4 speed for a really long time my 08 still had a 4 speed auto they didn't get it till 2010
Mid size - The Taurus had a 4 speed till 07 the Fusion got a 6 speed auto in 2006
Full size - The Crown Vic had a 4 speed till the end of its life, Five Hundred had a 6 and CVT you are correct on that one

SUVs:
Compact - Escape had a 4 speed auto till 2009
Mid size - Edge debuted with a 6 speed same one in the Fusion. Explorer had a 5 speed Auto on the V6 till 2010 while the V8 had a 6 Speed in 06.
Full size - Expedition didn't get a 6 speed till 2007

Trucks:
Ranger - had a 4 and 5 speed automatic till its death in 2012
F-Series - didn't get a 6 speed till 2009 and even then some models still had a 4 speed auto
E-Series - still use a 4 and 5 speed auto but the death of that line is coming soon. The chassis is still in production however most likely unchanged
Transit Connect - 4 speed till 2013

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
And in a 200 rental this week, one of us inadvertently hit the knob to Reverse while in Drive, and the car immediately started going into Reverse! A big safety problem. It didn't go to Neutral, it immediately went backwards and we almost hit a car behind us...
It doesn't click into each of the P-R-N-D-S positions?
Chrysler 200

·
Registered
95 Posts
No, you could turn the knob without pushing down and clicking. It went into Reverse! But when you do eventually touch the gas pedal, it then went to Neutral. Still a flaw since it was in Reverse going backward inadvertently @ 10 mph (our driver was trying to turn the audio volume knob on the row above and turned the gear knob instead) until the gas pedal was touched.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts