Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
imhO
article said:
...to pack a version of the company's 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. That's anticipated to channel upwards of 300 horsepower to all four-wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission...
that^s a big mistake = FuST should only have the the 2.3EB, not the v6-Nano
ESP
if it'd only have "upwards of 300hp" ie not much more

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
510 Posts
Ford Fusion ST Spied With Quad Tailpipes

Ford is going all out with its latest cars, including the Focus RS, Shelby GT350, F-150 Raptor and a new Ford GT, but new spy photos indicate that there is also a manic mid-sized sedan on the way from the Blue Oval.

Our spy photographers nabbed these pictures of this Fusion ST, which is sporting camouflage over the front and rear end of the vehicle, suggesting that new front and rear fascias are hiding underneath. What the camo doesn’t cover is the interesting set of quad tail pipes, which hint that Ford is cooking up something seriously sporty for its mid-sized sedan.

We speculate that the Fusion ST could likely get the same 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that’s going into the Focus RS, making upwards of 300 hp. Others think that a 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 could fit under the hood. Either way, it’s likely that this Fusion ST will be sporting an all-wheel-drive system to help it put all that power to use.

Also take a good look at the 19-inch wheels and tires, which are noticeably sportier than what’s currently available on the Fusion. Behind those wheels are bigger brake rotors and calipers, too — they look suspiciously similar to those found on the Focus ST.

Expect to learn more about this sporty version of the Fusion to debut when the mid-cycle refresh hits in early 2016.
Read more about the Ford Fusion ST Spied With Quad Tailpipes at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If it has a stick and AWD I'm sold.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Lincoln should have a Red Label!!
to much ST models :facepalm:
There should be no connection between what Ford can have in regards to Lincoln. Lincoln needs to be better rather than making Ford worse to help Lincoln as that doesn't help anybody but the non-Ford/Lincoln competition.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I dont think it will get the 2.7, Im guessing the 2.3 with the Focus RS AWD.
Riding on the same platform as the Edge, I would think it should also get the 2.7L And at around 315hp, it would outpower most luxury sedans costing $10k+ more. Along with power you can't get in a Camry, Accord, Altima or Sonata.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
joseodiaga4 said:
Lincoln should have a Red Label!!
to much ST models :facepalm:
True, no ST for Lincoln.
[ ScarletTag ]

imhO, FoMoCo could really screw-up Lincoln with the wrong FuST
ie a NanoFuST

only "UNLESS" I can think of is if they up'ed Lincoln's game to an electrified, the First electrified, EcoBoost ... PlugIn
for which
imho, next year is NOT the right timing (cough*$2Gas*cough)

edit
do we have MotorTrend's Quad Exhaust article posted?

did anyone mention the spoiler?

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Give the Fusion Sport/ST the 2.3EB; give the MKZ the 2.7L EB as the upscale engine. Give Lincoln something Ford doesn't have.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
A midsize Ford sedan (Ford... not Lincoln...) with a V6? Forget it. The V6 will be reserved for trucks, crossovers and the Mustang. The Fusion will get 4 and 3 cyl engines. This Sport version could get the 2,3 lt I4 , with more (much more?) than 300 HP.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think before Lincoln offers sport versions(red label), they should master the basic luxury as far interior finishes on the regular trims and refine black label on the current models. They then should complete black label versions on all the new Navigator and MKT replacement over the next 2-3 years. Once black label is complete, then offer the sport through red label.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ well, we were "told" a NanoEB-Z (aka Sport or sumthin) is coming next Spring along with the mce

I expect [BL] on the Conti from the get-go
also on the AlumiNator = around the end of 2016cy

IF they do SOMEthing with/to the T by then (a simple funeral Or my mkX-LG; do Not care),
then [BL] ver1.0 is done ...tho not necessarily 'mastered' imho
&but
I really want continuous(kaizen)improvement, not a distinct "[BL]2"

on Fusion topic
reading elsewhere (always gets me trouble) started wondering about
2.3EB = Fusion ST and
2.7EB = S.H.O ....for whenEver/if the TaurusSHO goes bye-bye

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is already presidence for using the 2.7L Ecoboost in both a Ford and Lincoln product while still allowing for differentiation. The Edge is tuned for 315/350 and the MKX for 335/380. The same could be done for the Fusion ST and MKZ. Though, ideally I would prefer the Fusion ST to come in at MKX power levels if it uses the 2.7.

I am torn as to a preference. The Edge shares a platform with the Fusion so using the same engine as the Edge Sport makes sense. But the 2.3 with the RS tune (345/324) is in the same ballpark power wise and will likely net better fuel economy.

What I really hope to see is the Ford Performance AWD system from the Focus RS. I am not sure how much engineering effort will be required to have it function with automatic transmission and the 2.7 Ecoboost in the Fusion/Edge platform.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ Welcome to the forum, Bamm1 :joyous:

I've just been thinking that since the 2.3EB and 2.7EB are relatively close in HP
and the Fusion is a bit lighter than the Edge
a FuST-2.3 should have close to equal performance with an Edge-2.7
and let the MKZ-2.7 have it's bragging rights
while keeping the 3.0EB, for now, 'special to' the Conti

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you. I been a lurker here for some time and it seems like a good group of people. Once the ST spy shots appeared I felt compelled to join. I have been "wishing" for a Fusion ST in the US since the ROW ST220.

When it comes to straight line performance I am actually hoping for a lot more than Edge Sport equivalency given its likely ~500lb weight advantage (more so if the 2.3 Ecoboost is used) over the Edge Sport.

I also don't won't to see the MKC or Ecoboost Mustang tune applied if they go 2.3. I think in the range of the Focus RS setup is what is required in an ST model that tops the range.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Regardless of the numbers, I feel like saying the Fusion Sport has a TTV6 carries a lot more weight in the enthusiast world than a standard Ti4. That would be really sweet to market and probably be taken fairly seriously. Turbo fours are nice and pretty much just as good, but in every non-numerical sense the V6 is just better.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts