·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Fusion

Mondeo

Vignale

2017 Mondeo Sport

What it needs:
- 2.7L Ecoboost V6 - with the same 315hp and 350 torque as the Edge Sport, or just a bit more.
- Performance AWD for that RWD feel under hard acceleration

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ford paid for the development of the 3.0T engine so it would be fairly silly to expect it will remain a low volume Lincoln exclusive.

There is no talk about the MKZ Hybrid, other than the fact it still has one, which means they will either hold those announcements for Fusion or they haven't done much with it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Ford paid for the development of the 3.0T engine so it would be fairly silly to expect it will remain a low volume Lincoln exclusive.

There is no talk about the MKZ Hybrid, other than the fact it still has one, which means they will either hold those announcements for Fusion or they haven't done much with it.
- do we know whats diff about the 3.0T? bore/stroke? plasma-coating instead of sleeves in the cylinders?
afaik it could be practically free after the development of the 2.7

- one of the last videos I posted in the hot-rod thread (maybe CarConnection) the guy finally said the Hybrid would have 188hp like currently...
...'course who knows if he's correct :yikes:
(( I would love Love LOVE if NYC debuted a mkZ-ENergi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ))

·
Registered
528 Posts

if done right (as in developed along with the 2.7l) the marginal cost of the 3.0T can be minimal. There is also a potential massive cost in not giving Lincoln a unique mainstream engine.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This is an engine that can replace the 1st gen 3.5L EcoBoost in most applications however, hard to believe Ford would artificially restrict access to that drivetrain for Lincoln.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
This is an engine that can replace the 1st gen 3.5L EcoBoost in most applications however, hard to believe Ford would artificially restrict access to that drivetrain for Lincoln.
Well technically so can the 2.7. In past 1st gen 3.5s, they made less torque than the MKX 2.7T and slightly more HP. No reason why a differently-tuned 2.7 can't replace the 3.5 in the next Explorer Sport. The Expedition will probably continue to use the 3.5 because it is used so thoroughly in the F-150. Perhaps even two engine options for the Expedition, with an available base 2.7T or 5.0NA.

TL;DR -- With the 2.7 being a very capable and similar engine, there's really no downside to using the 2.7 in Ford products and keeping 3.0 for Lincoln.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I wonder if Lincoln should introduce a name for the 3.0L

Perhaps return of the InTech?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Maybe Ford can use this engine and market it like a 2.9, instead of 3.0 V6, and down the power a little. Is not the first time Ford was flexible with its engine displacement advertising. Remember the fake 5.0 lt V8 in the Mustang some years ago (really, that V8 had 4.95 lt).

This let Ford use this engine for Ford, and give some exclusivity to Lincoln...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm just interested in what the aftermarket will do with the 3.0. With a CGI block, it will be good for way more boost than the other engines. Aftermarket companies are claiming 500+rwhp from the 2.3, should be easy in the 3.0.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ Texican1911 (WELCOME to the forum BTW :joyous:),
just-imho
the aftermarket for the 2.7FORD engine will be way more developed than the 3.0Lincoln UNLESS/EXCEPT for the parts that can be shared

Well technically so can the 2.7... :thumb:

Expedition will probably continue to use the 3.5 because it is used so thoroughly in the F-150... :thumb:

Perhaps even two engine options for the Expedition, with an available base 2.7T or 5.0NA... THREE?

TL;DR -- With the 2.7 being a very capable and similar engine, there's really no downside to using the 2.7 in Ford products and keeping 3.0 for Lincoln... :thumb:
I wonder if Lincoln should introduce a name for the 3.0L
Perhaps return of the InTech?

WOULD N'T it be "interesting" to NOT ALLOW any Names used for things like engines or PAINT COLORS until the actually CARS/Models get Names too?
? ???????????????????????????? ?
? ???????????????????????????? ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is finally here

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-ford-fusion-sport-detroit-2016/

Pretty close to what I was expecting. There were some surprises and some disappointments.

I was hoping for the MKX tune on the 2.7 Ecoboost but we did end up with a 10 horsepower bump over the Edge application of this engine. It’s likely a negligible performance increase (might come in handy for bench racing bragging rights).

• Edge Sport: 315 @ 4750rpm / 350 @ 2750rpm
  • F150: 325 @ 5750rpm / 375 @3000rpm
  • MKX: 335 @ 5500rpm / 380 @3000rpm
Fusion Sport: 325 / 350

I did not expect to see the CCD system adapted from Lincoln. That was a welcome addition. An adaptive suspension will be a class exclusive feature with the selling points of offering, at least to some extent, a family cruiser (Comfort Mode) and a sport sedan (Sport Mode) all in one.

I was really expecting / hoping to see GKN’s Twinster torque vectoring all-wheel drive (AWD) system used here. Instead we appear to have the same Haldex-based “on demand” AWD system used previously.

It looks like Lincoln (MKZ; Continental) and RS exclusive tech for now.

With Cadillac using GKN’s twinster system in the new XT5 and Buick using it in the 2017 LaCrosse and Envision I was almost certain we would see it in the Fusion Sport.

Maybe the price point target they set for the Sport precluded its use?

The rotary knob transmission control unit…..very Jag/RR….might be an acquired taste.

One last “food for thought” item.

It looks like there are now tunes available for the Edge Sport:

• Stock: 232.41 whp / 272.22 wtq
  • Stage 1: 329.89 whp / 369.75 wtq
¼ Mile Times:
  • Stock: 14.6 @ 93mph
  • Stage 1: 13.4 @ 100.7mph
That is a 1.2 sec. decrease with a 7.7mph increase. With the ~500+ lb. weight difference from the Edge to the Fusion, coupled with a Stage 1 tune, we could be seeing a low 12 second car (~12.2 @ 110mph).

PS The 2017 MKZ threw a monkey wrench into my future purchase list. It came out of left field, at least for me. It’s like a luxury Fusion Sport Plus - 400 / 400 3.0TT, Twinster torque vectoring all-wheel drive system, performance tuned CCD………first world problems.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
sorry this isn't from a primary source but...

The 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Features Continuously-Controlled Damping
FordAuthoirty blog

by Aaron Birch — Jan 13, 2016

...Continuously-controlled dampers such as those to be used in the new Fusion Sport sedan use solenoid valves to alter the flow of hydraulic fluid within the damper cylinder. That solenoid valve is controlled by a computer which continuously scans input data to determine when to stiffen or soften the damper.

The overall effect is quite akin to that achieved by magnetorheological shocks, but these dampers are more economical, and don’t suffer from the same latency of charge dissipation from the fluid. Ultimately, this means that the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport ought to deliver composed, controlled cornering with little body roll, and still prove smooth and comfortable over rough pavement.

In addition, Ford has announced that the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport will ship with “pothole detection technology,” which scans the road continuously for sudden dips and divots and alerts the damper controller. The shocks are then adjusted precisely at just the right moment to minimize the impact on vehicle occupants...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think, it'll be a real breakthrough!))
Promising new model!
Of course there'll be lots of critical remarks, but recently Focus RS also was criticized, but now it's one of the best cars in 2016.
proof here

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
sorry this isn't from a primary source but...

The 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport Features Continuously-Controlled Damping
FordAuthoirty blog

by Aaron Birch — Jan 13, 2016

...Continuously-controlled dampers such as those to be used in the new Fusion Sport sedan use solenoid valves to alter the flow of hydraulic fluid within the damper cylinder. That solenoid valve is controlled by a computer which continuously scans input data to determine when to stiffen or soften the damper.

The overall effect is quite akin to that achieved by magnetorheological shocks, but these dampers are more economical, and don’t suffer from the same latency of charge dissipation from the fluid. Ultimately, this means that the 2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport ought to deliver composed, controlled cornering with little body roll, and still prove smooth and comfortable over rough pavement.

In addition, Ford has announced that the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport will ship with “pothole detection technology,” which scans the road continuously for sudden dips and divots and alerts the damper controller. The shocks are then adjusted precisely at just the right moment to minimize the impact on vehicle occupants...
I wonder if the PDT is available without the CCD. If so, that tech should be standard on all non-entry Ford and ALL Lincoln models.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think, it'll be a real breakthrough!))
Promising new model!
Of course there'll be lots of critical remarks, but recently Focus RS also was criticized, but now it's one of the best cars in 2016.
proof here

Re the link you shared - this guy (John Dean) should stick to italkaboutcars subjects on what he knows which is apparent Toyota.

Because what he writes about the RS "The Ford Focus RS has always been a pretty strong and impressive hot-shot, but the thing is, the ST is better – plain and simple" just makes him appear stupid.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts