Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Ford Super Duty pickups to be unveiled in September.
World Car Fans
August 20, 2015
By: Michael Gauthier

Ford has creatively confirmed the 2017 Super Duty pickups will be unveiled in September.

While most automakers would simply put out a press release, Ford went a step further and plastered the news allover a prototype which was recently caught undergoing testing in the United States.

Ford has been tight-lipped about the redesigned Super Duties but previous spy photos has shown they will be heavily influenced by the 2015 F-150. As a result, the trucks will have a massive grille, large headlights and lightweight aluminum body panels.

Engine options are expected to carryover, so choices should include a 6.2-liter V8 with 385 bhp (287 kW) and 405 lb-ft (548 Nm) of torque as well as a 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbodiesel with 440 bhp (328 kW) and 860 lb-ft (1164 Nm) of torque.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a flattering pic above, really.

And the power ratings for the engine will be much more impressive, when you consider they are shedding 500-700lbs.
The leaked picture of the new Super Duty truck is distorted. The front end won't slope forward, and because of that the truck in the picture doesn't really look right.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

This is allegedly it. That photo leaked earlier this year.
I hope they fixed that face. That is the ugliest, most overwrought truck I've ever seen.

Ford and GM used to create the most handsome and timeless truck designs. Simple, clean designs always look and age the best.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Seeing the old trucks makes me wish they still used the old FORD in block letters for the tailgates

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not a flattering pic above, really.

And the power ratings for the engine will be much more impressive, when you consider they are shedding 500-700lbs.
The Super Duty will shed more than the F150. Expect 600-900 to be the range.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I hope they fixed that face. That is the ugliest, most overwrought truck I've ever seen.

Ford and GM used to create the most handsome and timeless truck designs. Simple, clean designs always look and age the best.
I'd add the late 70s to that list

and the early 90s models too

^ I still see some very clean examples of these running around here from time to time

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I'm just glad it's ALL-NEW this time, even if it's not that pretty (never was). F-150 is a very bland truck design (as far as trucks go anyway) and the Super Duty really isn't any different.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
The Super Duty will shed more than the F150. Expect 600-900 to be the range.
Is that really true, considering they don't have the smaller engine option like F150?

There is a big Diesel upgrade coming btw. It looks like it won't be ready at launch, and Ford will follow their typical M.O. where they roll out new vehicle and then follow up with new powertrains in a year or two. But honestly, with 10 speeds and far less weight, does it really matter. It will be class leading by far anyway.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I'm just glad it's ALL-NEW this time, even if it's not that pretty (never was). F-150 is a very bland truck design (as far as trucks go anyway) and the Super Duty really isn't any different.
Come on, it's hardly 'bland.'
It's squared styling looks handsome, rugged, bold, truck-like and purpose-built to me and should wear well like many other Ford truck styles.

And a specialty F150 looks good too.....

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^^^^

I generally agree the F-series has almost always been the better looking truck. The late 60's is one era where I disagree.

The Ford isn't ugly by any means, but to my eyes those late 60's GM trucks were definitely better looking. Both of the above are '68s according to Google search, the Chevy looks 10 years newer in design.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
^
weeeellllll, I mean yeah, slam them, coat them with attractive colors and some killer wheels and tires, and anything looks good and "newer." Below are 68 trucks from both chevy and Ford with mostly just bigger wheels/tires, only 4X4 btw, because that's all I would ever buy. I would put them pretty close in the general styling department, at least in the 60's. I love them both because I love the classic trucks. I think Ford dominated the 70's, and 80's was close, as they both lost some great styling cues. 90's is probably Ford again.

Anyway, good stuff.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^
weeeellllll, I mean yeah, slam them, coat them with attractive colors and some killer wheels and tires, and anything looks good and "newer." Below are 68 trucks from both chevy and Ford with mostly just bigger wheels/tires, only 4X4 btw, because that's all I would ever buy. I would put them pretty close in the general styling department, at least in the 60's. I love them both because I love the classic trucks. I think Ford dominated the 70's, and 80's was close, as they both lost some great styling cues. 90's is probably Ford again.

Anyway, good stuff.

Actually I think the Ford looks better in 4x4 form. A little rougher around the edges works better for such a truck!

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
In the 80's I owned a Chevy, Ford and Dodge Powerwagon, all from the 70's. All used trucks for cheap. They were all 4X4's and two of them were turned into monster trucks, with tires ranging from 35" Grand Prix's to 44" Dick Cepek. I actually loved my Dodge the most because it felt and sounded so rugged. The Ford was more for show, and Show it did. People would stare, and to this day, my family still recalls me with a big Ford truck. But I was wrenching on that thing every weekend. The Dodge required nothing, ever. It had a 360 mildly built, 4 speed manual with creeper gear, and a custom interior, complete with black velvet curtains in the rear window that I could draw side to side. It was black and bold and looked a lot like this.....

In my youth, big trucks were the rage in my area, and although there were no mountains or few trails, there was large remote area that had plenty to do, and we would all meet there often, late at night, drinking and having a blast and yes, off-roading and even at night with all of our lights blaring atop. Ahhh, good times.

In fact, I told the wife not to long ago that I would like to rebuild a classic big 4X4. Makes perfect sense as a weekender, that serves a dual purpose for when you need a bed.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Makes perfect sense as a weekender, that serves a dual purpose for when you need a bed.
Back in the early 90's the wife and I made a last minute decision to spend new years eve in Las Vegas. Unsure if we'd find an available room I tossed a mattress into the bed of my truck which was good because there wasn't a room in Vegas to be found! It actually worked great, parked in the Circus Circus ramp, the truck had a basic topper on it, other than the lack of a morning shower I'd do it again! LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts