Ford Inside News banner

2017 Lincoln MKZ on the streets

72K views 239 replies 34 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·

MKZ prototypes are on the streets now still camouflaged, but revealing some details. The backend is mostly carried over but with a new lower bumper and larger integrated exhaust tips, but the front-end is completely redesign from A-forward. Headlights are much larger with allot more jewelry work and outlining, grille is hard to see but but the front-end is much more rounded/blunted so it looks like the grille is rounded and tucked in like the Continental.

Headlight shape very similar to the MKC I would say, the detail is very different however. Turn signals are now integrated into the headlights, although it still has lower LED daylights.

Lower air damn partially covered, but the corners are similar to the new Fusion's.

See less See more
#2 ·
MKZ prototypes are on the streets now still camouflaged, but revealing some details. The backend is mostly carried over but with a new lower bumper and larger integrated exhaust tips, but the front-end is completely redesign from A-forward. Headlights are much larger with allot more jewelry work and outlining, grille is hard to see but but the front-end is much more rounded/blunted so it looks like the grille is rounded and tucked in like the Continental.

Headlight shape very similar to the MKC I would say, the detail is very different however. Turn signals are now integrated into the headlights, although it still has lower LED daylights.

Lower air damn partially covered, but the corners are similar to the new Fusion's.
We should see pictures soon online then. When you mentioned the new Fusion rolling around, Autoblog had photos the next day. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/12/2017-ford-fusion-facelift-spy-shots/

#3 ·
I'm not sure it will look good with the Continental's face.

I'm not a fan of slanted headlights. They don't give the vehicle presence. I was hoping they were going to fix that with the Conti Concept, but I guess they still have a fixation with that particular shape. They look very mainstream, IMO.

I actually like this grille and headlight design better. It has stature and looks authoritative:

#4 ·
The new headlight details remind me of the Flex HID headlights btw, the same sort of outlined theme if not the shape. I'm pretty convinced I can also see the grille mesh from the continental concept through the camo mesh.

Some new wheels too with the directional pattern we've seen on the MKX 21" Polish wheels, although more subtle.

The front-end looks very flush and rounded even with the larger headlights which take up allot more vertical space and wrap the corners. The hood shape is closer to a Ford Fusion than the darting lines of the current MKZ. The headlights are certainly much larger than those on the Fusion. The effect creates a longer more pronounced hood with a smooth surface, no obvious character lines, although there looks to be a slght ridge at the front of the grille toward the center (above the Lincoln Badge/plinth idea I'm assuming).

The MKZ will probably be unrecognizable from the front, I can't really pass judgement on the design yet, but there is allot of grille here and it's uncomfortably similar to a tweaked Fusion.

#5 ·
The new headlight details remind me of the Flex HID headlights btw, the same sort of outlined theme if not the shape. I'm pretty convinced I can also see the grille mesh from the continental concept through the camo mesh. It will be a dramatic new face for sure, even if the rest of the car is carried over.

Some new wheels too with the directional pattern we've seen on the MKX 21" Polish wheels, although more subtle.

The front-end looks very flush and rounded even with the larger headlights which take up allot more vertical space and wrap the corners. The hood shape is closer to a Ford Fusion than the darting lines of the current MKZ. The headlights are certainly much larger than those on the Fusion. The effect creates a longer more pronounced hood with a smooth surface, no obvious character lines, although there looks to be a slght ridge at the front of the grille toward the center (above the Lincoln Badge/plinth idea I'm assuming).

I don't know, I have a feeling this is going to look too much like a Buick Fusion up front.
Do you have pictures? Thanks for all the details by the way. Do we know when we expect to see it's debut? Wings said soon...

#6 ·
...I actually like this grille and headlight design better. It has stature and looks authoritative:

site ^

this has the front corner 'edges' I've been thinking of for my next LincStang chop :clap:
if anyone can find larger versions of either pic that'd be helpful :nevreness:

I spoke/posted too soon
CarScoops
big frt q
big face

...Lawrence Tech student Colin Bonathan ... was responsible for the exterior design, says that he began by choosing the desired wheelbase length and then placed the occupants, the electrical system and other components in the Continental study before finalizing the design.

#8 ·
I have pictures, I can't share them. Hopefully we'll see them appear online soon.

The version I'm looking are here is probably the one with the Luxury package or Black Label, the headlights are tinted black except for the brighter internal accents and I believe the outlined shapes are actually LED fixtures like the MKX...although the layout is nothing like the MKX which blends with the horizontal grille..these look like quad lights.

There is allot more visually going on up front than before, certainly more ornamentation and brightwork although I think it comes at the cost of the MKZ's distinctive dramatic flowing lines (at least at the front).

#9 ·
I was going to wait another week before ordering, maybe for sync 3.. but I am not really upset.. to me it almost looks like they kinda dumbed the screen down.. JMO.. so, other than that.. I remember when they changed the Milan.. I really liked the 2007 version.. but never got into the redesign in 2010.. not knowing quite what it will look like.. I did wait almost 3 years and definitely like the current.. no matter what the so called "critics" thought..I have said it over and over .. and it showed again with the wow design of the Honda.. if Lincoln had an ToyotaLexus on the badge, there just wouldn't be enough gushing.. .. guess I need a cold shower to cool off.. and yes I have and always will bleed ford blue.. don't mind, and don't care..

Rick..

#10 ·
This is one Lincoln update which I'm not looking forward to. I went through stages of pure disgust when the concept was shown and didn't photograph well all the way to now where I believe it is one of the best looking cars on the road! I really like the Continental as it fits with my impression of what type of car should carry that name, I don't however see how attempting to integrate that face onto the sleeker and drop dead sexy MKZ is going to end well.

My prefect update would be all mechanical, including a 400+HP 3.0EB, 9-speed transmission, and the AWD system from the Focus RS along with an upgraded interior. The exterior should not be touched.

#11 ·
Have not seen the new MKZ in it's entirety, only some details. Hard to judge, was my impression. Need to see it all. I remember thinking I did not like the grill of the Conti, having seen only that, but then loved it when I saw it on the concept. So, I don't want to say. And I don't know when it will be revealed. My guess, before NAIAS.

#12 ·
I love this site, so much smaller yet so much more focused than GMi! There's a real effort from the members to put the I in fIn! Thanks guys!

On a maybe-related note, I have a chance to go to Auto Shanghai 2015 on Sunday the 19th to see my company's booth (which I will be staffing the two last days). I have no idea if we get to take a peek at the whole show that day, almost certainly not, but I really will do my best to poke around if ever there's a way! :) And if I get caught and thrown in a Chinese prison, send help!

#13 ·
site ^

this has the front corner 'edges' I've been thinking of for my next LincStang chop :clap:
if anyone can find larger versions of either pic that'd be helpful :nevreness:

I spoke/posted too soon
CarScoops
big frt q
big face

...Lawrence Tech student Colin Bonathan ... was responsible for the exterior design, says that he began by choosing the desired wheelbase length and then placed the occupants, the electrical system and other components in the Continental study before finalizing the design.
I like it. It's much closer to the G-spot than the split-wing and plinth (whatever they call the new grille).

Lincoln really needs a design renaissance.....like Cadillac has done. Lincoln may have to go through another design director in order find the right design DNA that luxury customers find really distinctive and attractive, but really the top brass needs to stay out of the decision making that happens in the design department. They don't all know what's best when it comes to design.

#14 ·
I like it. It's much closer to the G-spot than the split-wing and plinth (whatever they call the new grille).

Lincoln really needs a design renaissance.....like Cadillac. Lincoln may have to go through another design director in order find the right design DNA that luxury customers find really distinctive and attractive, but really the top brass needs to stay out of the decision making that happens in the design department. They don't all know what's best when it comes to design.
The "Plinth" isn't the name of the Continentals grill, it's what they call that little shelf bottom center upon which the Lincoln logo kind of sits. Or in other words the "Plinth" is the part that has the trolls at GMI posting Kia pictures.

#16 ·
The Continental concept front end has been morphed to fit the more flowing shape of the MKZ so it looks less sculpted than the concept, especially in the hood. The MKZ facelift is probably the origin of the new face for Lincoln that the Continental is using.

I don't see anything yet that turns me off, the lights certainly add much more design character and are structurally interesting. The overall shape blends in fairly cohesively with the existing body so it doesn't look like a mismatched update. The grille is very much a dominating feature, taller than the Fusion's but not as wide. It could be more Audi/Jaguar-like than the stuffy Conti, I'm trying to think positive about this car's interpretation. It actually may work better on something like MKZ than Continental where I think it's just a little too non-distinct and derivative for a Lincoln icon.

I don't like the Continental's grille and that's what concerns me, I'm waiting to see how it works in production so the MKZ will be our first taste.

I have to say this design turmoil at Lincoln has really turned me off to the new MKX. MKX hasn't even launched yet and now it's already wearing the "old" Lincoln look, although I'm not sure I like the new look anyway. I guess this will continue to happen until they find something that works for them.

#17 ·
I am excited to see this. I am picturing almost Jaguarish front end with the beautiful MKZ rear end. I think it will look great.

#18 ·
This is the car I'm most excited for! I love the way the current MKZ looks so a little worried it will lose its pizazz once its loses the split wing grille, but gonna remain positive. The once thing I hated about the MKZ was the lack of buttons to control things. I'm really hoping that they swap out the drivetrains and have the 2.3 Ecoboost as the base motor and maybe either the 2.7 or 3.0 V6 Ecoboost. I'm just excited I guess is what Im saying lol

#19 ·
The Continental concept front end has been morphed to fit the more flowing shape of the MKZ so it looks less sculpted than the concept, especially in the hood. The MKZ facelift is probably the origin of the new face for Lincoln that the Continental is using.

I don't see anything yet that turns me off, the lights certainly add much more design character and are structurally interesting. The overall shape blends in fairly cohesively with the existing body so it doesn't look like a mismatched update. The grille is very much a dominating feature, taller than the Fusion's but not as wide. It could be more Audi/Jaguar-like than the stuffy Conti, I'm trying to think positive about this car's interpretation. It actually may work better on something like MKZ than Continental where I think it's just a little too non-distinct and derivative for a Lincoln icon.

I don't like the Continental's grille and that's what concerns me, I'm waiting to see how it works in production so the MKZ will be our first taste.

I have to say this design turmoil at Lincoln has really turned me off to the new MKX. MKX hasn't even launched yet and now it's already wearing the "old" Lincoln look, although I'm not sure I like the new look anyway. I guess this will continue to happen until they find something that works for them.
Same exact thing I thought! MKX isnt even on the streets and it's going to be outdated, same with the MKC. Figure the current 4 yr cycle between refreshes and the split wing is going to be sold along side the new look till around 2020. Just seems odd to me. I just hope they stick with this new design language and not give up just when they've hit their stride with it like they did with the split wing.

#21 ·
Will there be any changes to the rear roof/door area? It would be nice to offer a more formal roof Z in addition to the current roof design.
If they do that they will have to get rid of the BAMR. Does anyone know the take rate on those? Is it worth keeping as an option?

#22 ·

I wonder if the new front end will be a bit more edgy and less rounded like the rear of the car. Currently it looks like two different design themes going on with the same car. The front more soft/passive and the rear more edgy/aggressive in styling. I expect the nose to be pulled in tighter so offer the appearance that the car is shorter, more sporty.

The rear styling is one of the best attributes of the Z

#23 ·
I wonder if the new front end will be a bit more edgy and less rounded like the rear of the car. Currently it looks like two different design themes going on with the same car. The front more soft/passive and the rear more edgy/aggressive in styling. I expect the nose to be pulled in tighter so offer the appearance that the car is shorter, more sporty.

The rear styling is one of the best attributes of the Z

My only complaint about the rear is the black plastic. If they fix that it will be perfect.

#24 ·
This is very interesting - let's see how the new MKZ turns out, what features it will have and especially, WHEN it can be ordered.

Although it's very likely that my next ride will be the new MKX, the MKZ is not off the table yet - especially if they manage to open the order-banks by the end of the year and come up with something special (9-speed, SYNC 3, powerful engine etc.).

In regards to BAMR, I don't see that going away. Simply put, this is what the MKZ is all about and makes it special.

#25 ·
I think outside this forum, most people have mixed feelings about the current Lincoln design and I'm sure their designers feel the same way. The new design leadership (Woodhouse) probably played a big roll in the major rethink and it's probably why Wolfe has disappeared, especially with the departure of Mays.

As much as I like the MKZ front-end, it's probably lacks the worldly sophistication of European luxury cars which the new Lincoln grille seems to borrow from (as does Ford's of course).

#26 ·
I think outside this forum, most people have mixed feelings about the current Lincoln design and I'm sure their designers feel the same way. The new design leadership (Woodhouse) probably played a big roll in the major rethink and it's probably why Wolfe has disappeared, especially with the departure of Mays.

As much as I like the MKZ front-end, it's probably lacks the worldly sophistication of European luxury cars which the new Lincoln grille seems to borrow from (as does Ford's of course).
IMHO Max was thinking more in the germans (MKZ, MKC --> more Audi-like) and now Woodhouse is a more british (Conti Concept -->Bentley Continental Flying Spur).

I still would like to see a design only from Max....from what I've read he designed the previous CTS and that car is american in all the sides, not german, not british.

Although I could be wrong I feel that Woodhouse is not really a designer, maybe just the chief that presents the designs and tries to get the approval.....he was previously director of Strategy......and they way he talks about the cars.... mmm...not so much "designer language"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.