1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I have never understood the Bullitt love, it's a green Mustang GT with minor improvements that IMO should just be part of the GT to begin with. I hate the GM route where they have a Black Edition, a White Edition, a Blah Edition... just run with the GT, GT350, GT500 with a couple years of Boss 302 if they feel the need for more. Oh, and they can bring back the sticker and badge California Special for those who for some reason like those. Leave the Bullitt to die! Just kidding, they can build it even if I don't care for it, I'm easy that way! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welpppp... I'm selling my 2001 Bullitt this year! 62k miles, if anyone is interested! Ford doesn't give me any other choice at this point...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have never understood the Bullitt love, it's a green Mustang GT with minor improvements that IMO should just be part of the GT to begin with. I hate the GM route where they have a Black Edition, a White Edition, a Blah Edition... just run with the GT, GT350, GT500 with a couple years of Boss 302 if they feel the need for more. Oh, and they can bring back the sticker and badge California Special for those who for some reason like those. Leave the Bullitt to die! Just kidding, they can build it even if I don't care for it, I'm easy that way! :D
The Bullitt Mustang is the complete opposite of the other previous sticker/stripe special edition models.
Aside from having some performance improvements, I like its clean appearance.

If I had one, the only thing I'd modify is the rear badge (I'd paint the center of the badge black), that's if it won't affect the value.

If Ford will make a new one, I hope they keep the styling clean.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The Bullitt Mustang is the complete opposite of the other previous sticker/stripe special edition models.
Aside from having some performance improvements, I like its clean appearance.

If I had one, the only thing I'd modify is the rear badge (I'd paint the center of the badge black), that's if it won't affect the value.

If Ford will make a new one, I hope they keep the styling clean.
I agree I like how they did it with the 5th gen with a very minimalist/clean appearance. Love that green too!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is very exciting news! I'm assuming it will likely just have some of the Ford Performance aftermarket parts that you would normally buy as packs on it like a CAI and exhaust as factory. Also it makes perfect sense as the 2008 Bullitt was on the 40th anniversary and if this were to come out for 2018 that would be 50 yr anniversary.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I agree I like how they did it with the 5th gen with a very minimalist/clean appearance. Love that green too!

The stealth street fighter look has always been one of my faves, certainly more than a graphics package California Special. If true, I hope they step up performance again like they did with the 5th gen. A nice 25 hp bump would do, combined with the improved 6 speed manual and several other tangible benefits which help step performance to somewhere between extreme stangs.

And keep my favorite muscle car wheel of all time.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
I always like the Bullitt versions because they really echoed the kind of Mustang/Ford owner I am, and the kind I'm descended from:

Options? Whatever I can afford after getting a big motor and other performance stuff. The rear spoiler is great if it's actually functional, but if not...keep it.

If I'd been just a hair older, I'd have been a lock to own a 5.0 Mustang LX from the late 80's. By the time I could afford one, I fell in love with an older Mach 1 instead.

The Bullitt has the very "blue collar" appearance about it, a car for somebody that wanted a fast American coupe and didn't give two ****s about frilly appearance bits. Assuming they find a little more power in the motor and/or other performance tweaks, this would be a painful temptation for me.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
If I'd been just a hair older, I'd have been a lock to own a 5.0 Mustang LX from the late 80's. By the time I could afford one, I fell in love with an older Mach 1 instead.
I had an 89 LX 5.0, I hated the GTs of that era, way to busy and none of it actually improved the appearance. Unlike today's special Ford produced Mustangs the Fox body cars always looked best in aftermarket form, specifically the Saleens. I never understood how Ford could come up with such a terrible looking GT but a small independent company like Saleen could knock it out of the park.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had an 89 LX 5.0, I hated the GTs of that era, way to busy and none of it actually improved the appearance. Unlike today's special Ford produced Mustangs the Fox body cars always looked best in aftermarket form, specifically the Saleens. I never understood how Ford could come up with such a terrible looking GT but a small independent company like Saleen could knock it out of the park.
I didn't like the look of the GT's from the Fox body era either. The LX 5.0 was underassuming, but powerful. If you didn't know what that 5.0 logo on the side was, you would think it would be a lame LX, until you started it up and punched it once. That was a great car to drive.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think the mid 80's LX with the 5.0 was actually lighter (faster) than the GT. I was partial to the Mercury Capri.
In one C/D comparo, Ford sent a notchback coupe against the GM IROC and GTA entries. What it lacked in aero, it made up for with much less weight in glass.

That said, I still preferred the hatch bodies...and also was/am a fan of the Capri bodywork.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts