Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

Ford's launching of the new aluminum-bodied F-150 stands to be a game-changer in its own right, but it's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The F-150's aluminum construction has already to a new Super Duty and soon to a new Raptor, but a new Expedition looks to be in the works, as well.

Tipped to debut alongside a new Lincoln Navigator sometime in 2017 as a 2018 model, the new Expedition is anticipated to borrow heavily from the F-150 on which it's based. Combine that with EcoBoost engines and the new Expedition, as large as it will be, stands to offer serious fuel economy savings over the outgoing model, and allow for more hauling capability in the process.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/30/2018-ford-expedition-spy-shots/

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2017 Ford Expedition Spotted

I'm guessing this is simply a mule. I doubt it will have an F-150 grille (at least the EXACT same grille) and current-gen Expedition taillights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Spy photos of Aluminum Body Expedition

Ford's launching of the new aluminum-bodied F-150 stands to be a game-changer in its own right, but it's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The F-150's aluminum construction has already to a new Super Duty and soon to a new Raptor, but a new Expedition looks to be in the works, as well.

Tipped to debut alongside a new Lincoln Navigator sometime in 2017 as a 2018 model, the new Expedition is anticipated to borrow heavily from the F-150 on which it's based. Combine that with EcoBoost engines and the new Expedition, as large as it will be, stands to offer serious fuel economy savings over the outgoing model, and allow for more hauling capability in the process.

The styling looks set to take its cues from the F-150 and Super Duty, but with a four-door, squared-off body style. Expect the interior to pack the latest technologies as well, including Ford's new Sync 3 infotainment system. The new Expedition will have its hands full competing with the latest Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, and GMC Yukon – to say nothing of the likes of the Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada, and (to some extent) Jeep's forthcoming Wagoneer revival, too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/30/2018-ford-expedition-spy-shots/

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Re: Spy photos of Aluminum Body Expedition

It's happeningggg!!!!!

*heavy breathing*

Still has IRS!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Spy photos of Aluminum Body Expedition

Yep, looks like the IRS is there! Along with some extra cladding along the rear roofline. I wonder what that is hiding.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

Definitely a mule, long way to go here on the final design but this prototype has an IRS which is kinda big news in my book, they didn't give it up which is probably why this vehicle is lagging the F-150 by so many years and should really challenge the GM utes which sorta phone it in and cash the check.

The design will probably use much of the F-150 hard points so it will probably have a blocky look to much of it but I imagine they'll do some work to the sheetmetal to smooth it out for the civilian market. It'll be interesting to see what Lincoln does with it, reshaping Aluminum is not an simple or inexpensive task so I would not be surprised if Lincoln reuses much of the Ford metal a'la Caddy especially for cars in such low production.

The rear side light may actually be part of the final design however which indicates something a bit more softened but with some strong angles.

I'm actually excited by these, I would love a modern Navigator....if they can assemble them in a timely fashion ;)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Definitely a mule, long way to go here on the final design but this prototype has an IRS which is kinda big news in my book, they didn't give it up which is probably why this vehicle is lagging the F-150 by so many years and should really challenge the GM utes which sorta phone it in and cash the check.

The design will probably use much of the F-150 hard points so it will probably have a blocky look to much of it but I imagine they'll do some work to the sheetmetal to smooth it out for the civilian market. It'll be interesting to see what Lincoln does with it, reshaping Aluminum is not an simple or inexpensive task so I would not be surprised if Lincoln reuses much of the Ford metal a'la Caddy especially for cars in such low production.

The rear side light may actually be part of the final design however which indicates something a bit more softened but with some strong angles.

I'm actually excited by these, I would love a modern Navigator....if they can assemble them in a timely fashion ;)
I'm glad to hear that it's retaining IRS, which is a huge selling point over the GM triplets.

How, may I ask, did you know that? Is there something in the spyshots that gives it away?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

I'm glad to hear that it's retaining IRS, which is a huge selling point over the GM triplets.

How, may I ask, did you know that? Is there something in the spyshots that gives it away?
You can catch a glimpse of some suspension geometry in the latter half of the photos, and it certainly doesnt have a stick axle. :thumb:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Re: 2017 Ford (alu?-)Expedition Spotted

That may be the harbinger of the successor for my beloved Expy...!

I'd still like a V8 engine option, though.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts

finally!!
I don´t mind if it looks like the F150...the F150 looks nice!
Although the mule form is a bit awkward

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

^^ I wouldn't count out a (NEW!) v8 but
since this IS FoMoCo
it WON"T comeout the first year on the new SUVs

I'm guessing this is simply a mule. I doubt it will have an F-150 grille (at least the EXACT same grille) and current-gen Expedition taillights.
I'd like the grille to be to copy the style(s) of the SuperDuty!!

& posted to
FiN @ facebook
:joyous:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

No...no...no...If Borg shows any interest in it, it will surely be delayed at least a year!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

This does look like a mule. It won't have the same front end as an F-150, and nor will it retain the same design as the current model at the rear. This must be a mule testing the new platform/suspension/drivetrain.

Weight wise here is what I don't get. The F-150 lost 700 lbs going to aluminum, but the Super Duty only lost 300. But that could be due to the SuperDuty needing to have more heavy duty frame and other components to offer better towing/hauling. Which should put the New Navigator in the same line as the F-150 with an over 700 lbs weight loss.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

I am a bit surprised that some of you even entertained the thought that IRS would not be part of it.

And it will get a V8.
No, we figured it would be part of it, but it's nice to know.

Also, V8 is kind of disappointing for me!

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts

Finally, there's a new Ford I can be excited about! I hope it's more of an SUV rather than a wagon version of a truck with unique sheet metal. I expect to see their terrain management system, but I'd like them to mimic some of Jeep's offroad tech like QuadraLift. I'd also like to see the rear window roll down like the 4Runner. They've been missing a replacement for the beloved Eddie Bauer trim. They really need to work on improving its trim levels. Another item on my wish list is a Raptor or something cool just like it. Yeah, a good V8 would be nice, too. This is pretty much Ford's flagship now, so it needs to be cool!

1 - 20 of 198 Posts