Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Re: 2017 Ford (alu?-)Expedition Spotted

It's quite possible they are recycling much of the platform, the suspension appears to use identical parts from current vehicle. But then again, this is a mule so who knows really.

The weight saving benefits of Aluminum remains fairly questionable considering the costs involved, but reducing weight while adding features, safety, and size isn't a small thing either. The SuperDuty benefits from Aluminum because it's based on the much higher volume F-150 it's now sharing, it's probably not an important ingredient for that truck. The Expedition sheetmetal will hopefully share very little with the trucks which is an interesting cost challenge unless these are going up significantly in price.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Yes!! This is great news! Give everything you got on the Navi, Ford! I know you can do it, make it a proper flagship!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

I am a bit surprised that some of you even entertained the thought that IRS would not be part of it.

And it will get a V8.
Even with the more powerful EB 3.5 on the way?

And sure, IRS was in doubt considering the costs involved with much smaller volume. But it looks like they are recycling much of the old platform underpinnings and merging it with the F-150 cab which makes some sense, I just assumed they needed to completely re-engineer the F-150 for IRS and SUV duty.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

The weight saving benefits of Aluminum remains fairly questionable considering the costs involved, but reducing weight while adding features, safety, and size isn't a small thing either. The SuperDuty benefits from Aluminum because it's based on the much higher volume F-150 it's now sharing, it's probably not an important ingredient for that truck. The Expedition sheetmetal will hopefully share very little with the trucks which is an interesting cost challenge unless these are going up significantly in price.
None of this makes any sense at all. The costs involved in going to aluminum will be offset more by Ford increasing use of the material, and the more vehicles on the street in aluminum the easier its going to be to find experienced repair shops. They'll never get over the hump if they don't move more product to aluminum.

Regarding the expenses of building unique body panels for the SUVs vs the F-series trucks, so what, they previously built three different versions, four back when the expedition was on offer. The cost of unique body panels, be they steel or aluminum doesn't change, only the cost of the materials involved.

Its always better to be the leader than a follower.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

Looking at the image, it's more of a F-140 SuperCrew body(same doors, mirror, front fender, front end), with the back piece of the current Expedition attached, riding on a shorter wheelbase.

We can even see where there is the same uptake at the passenger window. The roof section and the column alongside the rear window may be New Expedition, but the rest of the lower rear section is from the old Expedition.

So at least now we can be sure it will be an all aluminum body.

Ford knows trucks, so the New Expedition should look really nice when done.

·
Registered
287 Posts

**** yeah! Needless to say, this makes my day. Clearly, it's sheetmetal is from the F 150 and the current Expy... however, you see that rear quarter glass? (Or whatever you call the side windows looking into the trunk) It looks like those windows are from the Everest. It doesn't mean anything, other than it was what was available, etc, but it is interesting.

Presumably, those indents by the brake lights signifies an increase in width - not surprising due to the shift to the new F 150 platform.

I also expect the sheetmetal to be at least somewhat different from the F 150 in it's final form. The real question will be how much Lincoln manages to differentiate the Navi from the Expy - comparisons to the Expy have always haunted the Navi, for good reason.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

Good news: It exist! Is aluminum bodied!

Bad news: we cant see too much of the final vehicle because is a mule. One thing is rigth: is wider than the current version

I'm waiting for the Lincoln version !

·
Registered
287 Posts

Question to people who know how the industry works: How long do you think until we see camouflaged versions of the final-ish sheetmetal form?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

I wonder if the new Super Duty front end would look better.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

I don’t think Expedition has every shared front styling with truck before, so I would expect that to continue.

Obviously Ford will take budget liberties where possible on aluminum sheet metal, perhaps some modified stampings here and there, complete revised fascia, etc. I love the idea of a lightweight aluminum hatch. Of course, they are powered anyway.

I think Ford will get everyone’s attention with this, especially if they are shedding 800lbs or so, using 10 gears with lots of power. And with a nano engine powering it as the high mpg option, I bet it can hit about 28mpg, maybe more. Not bad at all for a full sized BOF SUV that can still tow a house.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Only once, 1st gen Expedition shared the front styling of the 10th gen F-150. 2nd gen Expedition and 11th gen F-150 had minor differences.

I'm highly anticipating what Lincoln does with the Navigator.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I drove an Expedition for the first time the other day. I was blown away by how GOOD it was. The 4WD, fully independent suspension makes it handle like a smaller vehicle. The V-6??? is so powerful that they were able to dump the V-8s, save hundreds of pounds, and up the HP to 365 with twin turbos that will still give the thing some power at high altitudes.

I am debating buying one of the 2015/2016's. Like the sound of the weight-saving aluminum to come, but scared that they'll screw up that nice clean boxy styling and up the price. It seems too much to ask that they'll improve the Ex that much and not raise the price or mess up the styling. I like the way it looks right now!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

I drove an Expedition for the first time the other day. I was blown away by how GOOD it was. The 4WD, fully independent suspension makes it handle like a smaller vehicle. The V-6??? is so powerful that they were able to dump the V-8s, save hundreds of pounds, and up the HP to 365 with twin turbos that will still give the thing some power at high altitudes.

I am debating buying one of the 2015/2016's. Like the sound of the weight-saving aluminum to come, but scared that they'll screw up that nice clean boxy styling and up the price. It seems too much to ask that they'll improve the Ex that much and not raise the price or mess up the styling. I like the way it looks right now!
How many accounts do you have here Wings?

:thumb:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

finally had time to look at some large format pix

one thing I find quite interesting, in addition to the "layers" of the RQ window, is the visible SEAM in the roof behind the C-pillar
Its just a mule, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, all held together with duct tape! Or something like that! I wouldn't put any stock in what you SEE, this mule is surely a testing the underbody, unseen parts, drivetrain and suspension. Unless they do intend to use the F-150 front clip then this isn't even testing engine cooling. This tells you about as much as that Continental mule that was just a stretched and widened Fusion.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts

Its just a mule, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, all held together with duct tape! Or something like that! I wouldn't put any stock in what you SEE, this mule is surely a testing the underbody, unseen parts, drivetrain and suspension. Unless they do intend to use the F-150 front clip then this isn't even testing engine cooling...
just ruminating on what parts could be the most different/disguised = roofline from that seam aft

...This tells you about as much as that Continental mule that was just a stretched and widened Fusion.
glad you mentioned that, SP :thumb:
wonder if that could have been part of the MKS2-program, the one we heard was 'disappointing' until they stuck the Continental Name on the ToDoList?

21 - 40 of 198 Posts