Ford Inside News banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
haven't been able to find the source or thread this comes from ... yet
but the .jpg says it's from a post by Sal Collaziano on my HD
(found out the dating on that folder is messed up...I *hate* Win7&^...
...looks like the .jpg "might be" dated Oct27,2016)
imho, looks like it's from a .Pdf brochure to me
Yeah....I was looking for that. And then there is this directly from Lincoln:

"Think a blend more so to S(MKS) which goes away but adds a bit more size and capability for Conti’s needs, tech, design, etc."

So the front structure uses simalar design architecture with Fusion, but back of that 'blends' in more of the tested D3 platform for size(width/length) necessary for Continental.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yeah....I was looking for that. And then there is this directly from Lincoln:

"Think a blend more so to S(MKS) which goes away but adds a bit more size and capability for Conti’s needs, tech, design, etc."

So the front structure uses simalar design architecture with Fusion, but back of that 'blends' in more of the tested D3 platform for size(width/length) necessary for Continental.
That doesn't mean what you think it does, the Continental is unrelated to the MKS and was not the engineering foundation in any part of the car. I just want to clear that up so people don't misunderstand. The D3/4 is fundamentally incompatible with CD4, that's like saying CD4 is part CD3 and EUCD when in reality CD4 is completely unrelated to CD3 and is an evolution of EUCD.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Not sure if it really matters but Continental is a full 2.2 inches wider than MKS

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
That doesn't mean what you think it does, the Continental is unrelated to the MKS and was not the engineering foundation in any part of the car. I just want to clear that up so people don't misunderstand. The D3/4 is fundamentally incompatible with CD4, that's like saying CD4 is part CD3 and EUCD when in reality CD4 is completely unrelated to CD3 and is an evolution of EUCD.
I hear what you are saying...

But when coming directly from Lincoln, along with this. 'I would lean more to “D” than “C” – the latter gets more into Z area" Which would indicate that the Continental is more D(MKS/MKT) than C(MKZ/Fusion), which is quite specific coming from directly Lincoln.

Understanding this all came about due to questions to Lincoln about why the brand New Continental had the exact same rear seat legroom as the current MKT. Not a fraction of a inch off. And the answer was given.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Not sure if it really matters but Continental is a full 2.2 inches wider than MKS
Not sure if the body width has too much to do with the underlying architecture dimensions. But either way, just offering up the same answers Lincoln offered over a year ago about the architecture, since the conversation has made full circle once again.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The Continental is actually 0.6 inches narrower than the MKS, you have to compare "width excluding mirrors", this is different from "width with mirrors folded".

New Continental width excluding mirrors: 75.3 inches
MKS width excluding mirrors: 75.9 inches

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-cars/continental/2017/models/select/
http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/2013_Lincoln_MKS_J1_CA/NGBS/pdf/pdf_136B520B-DE7E-DB84-7471-567874715678.pdf

·
Registered
330 Posts
'I would lean more to “D” than “C” – the latter gets more into Z area"

I think this refers to the class the model competes in, not the basis....the MKZ/Fusion is a C/D class, Continental is in the D class...the C class (Focus) has grown in size (think new Civic), approaching in on the MKZ in regards to interior space....my thoughts!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts