Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Yeah, I can't imagine gear count influencing any sales. The GT350 will still come with a 6 speed manual, which is plenty of gears IMO. The 10 speed would be automatic. And we are talking some pretty small margins here, assuming 10 speeds would benefit 6, in the first place.

My classic has a 3 speed auto, lol

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
The benefit of more gears in an automatic is to lower RPMs and improve overall mpg, along with bragging rights in the industry. But I bet Ford will offer some special performance gear shifting options for the Mustang for the performance drivers.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ford and Lincoln are going to be light on major new unveilings over the next 3-4 years but the MCEs will come with major new tech under the hood and inside the cabin. We've seen this phase before at Ford around 2008-2012. End of the decade we'll start seeing complete platform overhauls. We've just gone through one of the biggest global automotive transformations in recent memory at Ford with a ton of new OneFord products but now the bulk of that work is done and we have our new Aluminum trucks which is taking a long time to fully launch with SuperDuty still in the works.

I think Mustang is goinng to have a very hard time next to the new alpha Camaro, they need to be pretty aggressive with their next update, tweak the floppy platform, sharpen the bulbous face, cleanup the interior, improve the performance of the EcoBoost I4.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My first thought on the upcoming mega-speed transmissions is the same that I had when FCA introduced their recent transmissions: recalls on the way.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ford and Lincoln are going to be light on major new unveilings over the next 3-4 years but the MCEs will come with major new tech under the hood and inside the cabin. We've seen this phase before at Ford around 2008-2012. End of the decade we'll start seeing complete platform overhauls. We've just gone through one of the biggest global automotive transformations in recent memory at Ford with a ton of new OneFord products but now the bulk of that work is done and we have our new Aluminum trucks which is taking a long time to fully launch with SuperDuty still in the works.

I think Mustang is goinng to have a very hard time next to the new alpha Camaro, they need to be pretty aggressive with their next update, tweak the floppy platform, sharpen the bulbous face, cleanup the interior, improve the performance of the EcoBoost I4.
I think the performance of all the mustangs (except gt350) should be dialed up, wayyy up. Also, Ford has to start offering options on the V6 again, I mean the V6 shouldnt just be rental car status. And the ecoboost, well we know it can make more power, so unleash it. And the V8, Ford you knew the stang would put on weight so why would you only increase the engines output but 15 hp/10 tq, especially with a new Camaro on the horizon and Chrysler offering scat packs with SRT8s 485hp engine. I mean the exterior is a sexy improvement, the rides been dealt with, and the interior has been taken well beyond the previous gen, so why is it that the performance has barely moved the needle

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...why would you only increase the engines output but 15 hp/10 tq, especially with a new Camaro on the horizon and Chrysler offering scat packs with SRT8s 485hp engine...
guessing:
...1. capacity? Ford didn't have any unused to encourage them...
ie what with unknown quantities needed globally now

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yikes, is the Mustang THAT much of a dud?!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yikes, is the Mustang THAT much of a dud?!
It is definitely not. I have no idea what Borg is on about. The Mustang is almost universally liked by the press and consumers. The biggest complaint that I have heard so far by both press and consumers?

The GT's exhaust is too quiet.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
I really can't imagine anybody waiting for extra gears in a purchase decision like this. Especially the manual crowd, who are content with 6. Rowing through extra gears does not exactly sound like something I would personally prefer, and the performance benefit is so small that few would ever notice. But 10 speed automatics will improve things on a slight level.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It is definitely not. I have no idea what Borg is on about. The Mustang is almost universally liked by the press and consumers. The biggest complaint that I have heard so far by both press and consumers?

The GT's exhaust is too quiet.
With sales way up, trending towards 140,000 this year in the US alone, I tend to agree. Sometimes it's good that the manufacturers don't listen to us here on enthusiast boards. They aren't as clueless as we think about the market.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
I was thinking maybe the Mustang refresh would offer some design details from the GT, but don't know what it would be. Expect Ford to want to tie the vehicles together some how design wise.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I really can't imagine anybody waiting for extra gears in a purchase decision like this. Especially the manual crowd, who are content with 6. Rowing through extra gears does not exactly sound like something I would personally prefer, and the performance benefit is so small that few would ever notice. But 10 speed automatics will improve things on a slight level.
I'm planning on a GT later this year and the thought of the 10 speed gives me pause. It won't stop me, tho, I'll just have to get one when they come out. I'm going to go FI and the 10 speed will be in the Super Duty so no way I'll blow it up with tq.

The only "performance" benefit to the M6 is for road racing where you can stay in the powerband at your control instead of the PCM's. The A6 is faster 0-60 and in quarter mile, plus it is stronger and will take more powaa.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
JAN 21, 2016 | DEARBORN
BACK SEAT FUN GETS REVVED UP WITH NEW MUSTANG GT350R BACK SEAT KIT
Ford Performance is giving Shelby® GT350R customers more of the functionality they asked for with a new back seat package for most track-capable Mustang ever
Unique upholstery and contrast stitching match Shelby GT350R front seats
With safety top of mind, GT350R kit includes all GT350 occupant restraint systems
DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 21, 2016 – Fun in the back seat has never been this exciting as Ford Performance debuts a new Ford-designed and engineered back seat kit that turns the Shelby® GT350R Mustang into a four-seater.

Gone are the days in which only two passengers could fit in the most track-ready, road-going production Mustang ever built. This new kit means Shelby GT350R is now the most track-ready, road-going four-seat Mustang ever built.

"We always listen to customer feedback," said Dave Pericak, global director, Ford Performance. "So when many requested a back seat for their GT350R, we acted quickly to make it available."

The kit features the same high-quality Alcantara material and high-contrast red accent stitching as the front seats for a beautiful, straight-from-the-factory look, and a consistent feel. With safety a top priority, it includes all original GT350 occupant restraint systems.

The back seat kit is available for $999 through Ford Performance Parts. It is recommended a Ford authorized dealer or service center perform the installation to help ensure safety for rear seat passengers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Mustang rumour update

So far, we've heard there will be 10 spd auto, revised front end (fascia or?), and chassis lengthened to accommodate the longer transmission. Some talk of a Mach 1 model also.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Re: 2018 Mustang rumour update

So far, we've heard there will be 10 spd auto, revised front end (fascia or?), and chassis lengthened to accommodate the longer transmission.
Lengthened chassis? Probably not during a refresh.
At the most they'd probably just modify the transmission tunnel and its mounts.

21 - 40 of 215 Posts