Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Right now we've never seen evidence of a Focus EV being tested and we can confirm it's not part of the EU Focus launch. It's possible the next generation of Ford's compact utilities is their preferred platform for EVs instead of Focus. Although we have seen very little recently, the NG Escape mules have included a plug. It could be that the Escape is getting a plug or it may very well be the Model E in early testing.
True....but Ford has not stated there would be a next gen Focus Electric.. 2020 will just be too late to launch an all new/old school PHEV, when the market is beginning to flood with 150+, 200+, 300+ mile full EV Sedans, CUV and SUVs. And looking at the Ford product lifecycle, that 2020 PHEV will be sold until 2026.

The idea of transitioning consumers from ICE to EV with a PHEV is over with 200+ mile range available at reasonable cost at volume. Luckily it is China that has lit a light under Ford to get them moving in the EV direction, or they can't sell cars there. That's really what it takes I guess...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
on facebook,
New York International Auto Show had said:
"We're looking forward to you being there! Is there any car you're particularly excited to see?"

I replied:
"Lincoln Aviator Concept ! ! !
"

& just saw...
they just gave that a

is this proof? :surprise2:

Don’t hold your breathe.. not with Lincoln... never

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
True....but Ford has not stated there would be a next gen Focus Electric.. 2020 will just be too late to launch an all new/old school PHEV, when the market is beginning to flood with 150+, 200+, 300+ mile full EV Sedans, CUV and SUVs. And looking at the Ford product lifecycle, that 2020 PHEV will be sold until 2026.

The idea of transitioning consumers from ICE to EV with a PHEV is over with 200+ mile range available at reasonable cost at volume. Luckily it is China that has lit a light under Ford to get them moving in the EV direction, or they can't sell cars there. That's really what it takes I guess...
It appears the Focus is getting a mild hybrid for the 2020 MY, no plug.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am sure the Aviator will be shown at NY show. Unless they plan on doing its own event prior to the show. We know the Focus will have its own event in April which would be after NY show. What is known for sure that Ford and Lincoln will be showing there? Shelby GT500? I see on the NY auto show site that Ford has two levels worth of display and 1 for Lincoln. So surely they got something planned. I just hope it won't be a dismal and pathetic show like the Chicago one with Jim Belushi. Ugh.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am sure the Aviator will be shown at NY show. Unless they plan on doing its own event prior to the show. We know the Focus will have its own event in April which would be after NY show. What is known for sure that Ford and Lincoln will be showing there? Shelby GT500? I see on the NY auto show site that Ford has two levels worth of display and 1 for Lincoln. So surely they got something planned. I just hope it won't be a dismal and pathetic show like the Chicago one with Jim Belushi. Ugh.
Level 3 is main show floor, all trucks are displayed on the lower level hence the two levels shown for Ford.
I fully expect Lincoln to have something, it’s their premiere site to debut big debuts.
Ford, I’d like to see the Shelby GT500 but they have sat out the show a few years so we’ll have to see when the conference schedule debuts (still no listing of them)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It's also possible that the Aviator will launch earlier in China since it will be the first Lincoln produced locally and production is suppose to begin in Q1 2019 which seems to be much earlier than Chicago.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Also Roush on the 29th 12:05 - 12:20. Could be a new Ford based model.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As was the all new 2012 MKZ...NYC has be the premiere site for Lincoln and I’m confident what they have planned for debut will be significant! And as always, I’ll be in attendance, can’t wait!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Aviator (close to production) concept.

MKC Hybrid? if they introduce the MKC Hybrid, they could give it a sub-model name, which could then be used as a replacement for the MKC name for the next redesign.

·
Registered
750 Posts
In that case then my money is on an Aviator concept; too early for the “MKZ” and there really isn’t anything else in the pipeline.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
...so we must think we will see the Aviator concept at this NYC auto Show?

Is too early...
Yes, it's an Aviator "concept" (quotes because it's a "conceptized" production model like most of Lincolns latest concepts).

Aviator (close to production) concept.

MKC Hybrid? if they introduce the MKC Hybrid, they could give it a sub-model name, which could then be used as a replacement for the MKC name for the next redesign.
No. They just showed the refreshed model a few months ago. A hybrid wouldn't come until the next-gen model, which we'll likely see sometime next year (probably again in "concept" form).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Almost all concepts today are derived from the finalized production design, especially those from Ford or Lincoln.

Ford no longer does concept cars but it's an important part of marketing at Lincoln. I'm not a big fan of them because they create idealized versions of a car which leads to disappointment, but it's still effective marketing.

Aviator concept seems likely for New York, or some sort of concept. We have 3 all-new vehicles arriving over the next 3 years with Aviator, MKC, and mystery vehicle #2 (probably a Small EV Utility). If they are going to space out these things, they need to do something in NY.

The Next-Gen MKZ is a mystery at this point, it is probably much farther out.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts