Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
This should be a significant boost in sales for Ford.
I read that all trims are eligible for a $2,750 incentive, this basically brings the US-market EcoSport's price down to how it's positioned in other markets (higher than an equivalent trim Fiesta but a bit cheaper than an equivalent trim Focus).

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
This guy works for that Ford dealership, yes? Maybe someone should have told him it's not an Echosport.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This guy works for that Ford dealership, yes? Maybe someone should have told him it's not an Echosport.
Except EcoSport is pronounced "Echo"Sport.

Yes.

And EcoBoost is "eeeko"Boost.

No. It doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: Bloggin

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Yes.

It's the SHO vs S.H.O. debate all over again lol

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Nope, he got it right.
What in the **** exactly does echosport mean? EcoSport makes sense given it's a product focused on economy. It's tiny so I doubt you'll hear any echos while sitting inside it.

Every week I understand Ford less and less. If this **** keeps up the only products I'll understand with be Mustang and F-Series.

·
Registered
866 Posts
What in the **** exactly does echosport mean? EcoSport makes sense given it's a product focused on economy. It's tiny so I doubt you'll hear any echos while sitting inside it.

Every week I understand Ford less and less. If this **** keeps up the only products I'll understand with be Mustang and F-Series.
You mean the only two vehicles Ford really cares about?>:)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Yes.
from an official Ford suit (long ago in a galaxy far away)...
"You can say it either way"
It's the SHO vs S.H.O. debate all over again lol
it's déjà vu ...all over again
:nerd: (somebody famous said that)

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Not sure how well a refreshed 2003 model will do in 2018, marketed next to new 2018 models from competitors. Clearly not designed or build for the NorthAmerican or European markets, but Ford is late to the game, waiting for the market to 'mature' before 'planning' to build a model for the market. And most certainly, when the entry-level 200+ mile EVs come (GM has 2 coming within 16 months) by 2020, and sales continue to not meet expectations, Ford will claim the 'segment' is contracting.

This reminds me of the refreshed 2003 C-Max launch of the 'hybrid/energi' versions in North American as a 2013 model. A 10-year-old model with the slowest selling body style in North American, that lasted until 2017 with low sales volume. When Ford would have been better off introducing a new lighter weight hybrid and Energi model to compete with Toyota's 10+ year head start. But zero planning offered sub-par results and the end of the model with no announced replacement. History does repeat itself.

But there will be some young females who will get their parents to buy one for them, as long as they don't notice the New 2018 Honda HR-V costs the same.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There is a crude and cute charm to the EcoSport compared to the larger and more polished competition, but it needs to be MUCH cheaper, it's a class and size below the competition with allot more compromise (no spare tire, smallest interior, mediocre economy and power, side-swinging gate, smallest and narrowest wheels in the segment, and obviously poorer interior quality). What's worse is that the US is getting the cheaper Indian built model which Europe hated, rather than the better upgraded Estonian built version which gets better amenities, interior trim materials, sound isolation, suspension tuning, instrumentation, and much more.

Ford obviously doesn't expect to lead the segment with EcoSport, but it helps to stem their customer erosion as they ramp down their small car business. Escape is also growing in size (and price presumably) in about 2 years which leaves more room for EcoSport beneath it. I think the reason Ford has shown so little interest in this particular market is that it's just not going to be very profitable in the US but they are keeping the plants busy for the rest of the world.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ interesting

for the Focus (supposedly) Fomoco is willing to import the 'good' one from Yurpland along with the cheapo one from China...

wonder why they won't do the good EchoSport from Yurpland along with the cheapo EekoSport from India??

could there be just-enough more profit for the Focus to make it worthwhile? OR is the Yurpish E.Sport factory already maxed out?
...OR will Fomoco take the Yurpland Focuseses off the table??

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
According to Cambridge Dictionary, if you click the sound clip, in UK English "Eco" sounds like "ee-co" with a long "e", while in US English it sound like "echo". https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/eco

Technically both are interchangable.

-------------------------------------------------------

^ interesting

for the Focus (supposedly) Fomoco is willing to import the 'good' one from Yurpland along with the cheapo one from China...

wonder why they won't do the good EchoSport from Yurpland along with the cheapo EekoSport from India??

could there just-enough more profit for the Focus to make it worthwhile? OR is the Yurpish E.Sport factory already maxed out?
I believe it will be the Focus ST and/or RS that will be sourced from Europe, most likely because the performance models won't be made in China.

PS: 2b2, have you seen the new EcoSport in the metal?

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
There is a crude and cute charm to the EcoSport compared to the larger and more polished competition, but it needs to be MUCH cheaper, it's a class and size below the competition with allot more compromise (no spare tire, smallest interior, mediocre economy and power, side-swinging gate, smallest and narrowest wheels in the segment, and obviously poorer interior quality). What's worse is that the US is getting the cheaper Indian built model which Europe hated, rather than the better upgraded Estonian built version which gets better amenities, interior trim materials, sound isolation, suspension tuning, instrumentation, and much more.

Ford obviously doesn't expect to lead the segment with EcoSport, but it helps to stem their customer erosion as they ramp down their small car business. Escape is also growing in size (and price presumably) in about 2 years which leaves more room for EcoSport beneath it. I think the reason Ford has shown so little interest in this particular market is that it's just not going to be very profitable in the US but they are keeping the plants busy for the rest of the world.
it is interesting how Honda can seem to make a profit on the all now 2018 HR-V built in Mexico, but Ford can't make a profit on their 2003 refreshed model. The tradeoff is a newer design, higher sales, vs old refresh, lower sales, more trim levels for increased margins, fewer customers in the segment. If this was an EV, it would be considered a compliance vehicle, like the Focus Electric. Just because they need to have 'something' to sell in the segment.

Sales projections?

I will put it about half of current Fiesta sales, around 25k annually.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
it is interesting how Honda can seem to make a profit on the all now 2018 HR-V built in Mexico, but Ford can't make a profit on their 2003 refreshed model.
You mean refreshed version of the 2013 second gen model.

-------------------------------------------------------

it's a class and size below the competition with allot more compromise (no spare tire, smallest interior
I wouldn't say it has the smallest interior, that would be the CX-3 (which is lower but longer).
Mazda CX-3
Headroom, front/rear (in) 38.4 / 37.2
Shoulder room, front/rear (in) 53.5 / 50.4
Hip room, front/rear (in) 52.3 / 49.0
Legroom, front/rear (in) 41.7 / 35.0
Cargo volume - behind rear seats (cu ft) 12.4
Cargo volume - 2nd-row seats folded (cu ft) 44.5

Ford Ecosport
Headroom, front/rear (in) 39.6 / 37.5
Shoulder room, front/rear (in) 53.3 / 51.3
Hip room, front/rear (in) 51.6 / 50.9
Legroom, front/rear (in) 42.9 / 36.7
Cargo volume - behind rear seats (cu ft) 20.9
Cargo volume - 2nd-row seats folded (cu ft) 50

Smallest exterior doesn't always mean smallest interior, unlike the Fiesta, the EcoSport actually has good interior packaging.
*The EcoSport's interior space is almost the same as the Chevy Trax which has a larger exterior.

smallest and narrowest wheels in the segment
Honestly I think its 16-inch and 17-inch wheels on 205/60R16 and 205/50R17 tires are just right for a sub-compact. I'd rather have those than wide wheels that require wide expensive low profile tires.

...and obviously poorer interior quality. What's worse is that the US is getting the cheaper Indian built model which Europe hated, rather than the better upgraded Estonian built version which gets better amenities, interior trim materials, sound isolation, suspension tuning, instrumentation, and much more.
The only thing the US version lacks is the ST-Line version. Is there actual proof the US-spec model has less sound insulation? US-version is made in India but the specs are not the same as the Indian-spec model.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
According to Cambridge Dictionary, if you click the sound clip, in UK English "Eco" sounds like "ee-co" with a long "e", while in US English it sound like "echo". https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/eco
Technically both are interchangable...
lots of accents in both the US & UK
& the US does not have what the Brits call "Received Pronunciation" (something I just heard about)

...I believe it will be the Focus ST and/or RS that will be sourced from Europe, most likely because the performance models won't be made in China.

PS: 2b2, have you seen the new EcoSport in the metal?
not yet - if they don't arrive locally in the next few weeks (( for our dealer-run mini-autoshow ))
I might not see one up close for a nother full YEAR
:crying2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts