Ford Inside News banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
In Europe, when Ford decided to make a 182hp diesel version of the Focus ST, they kept the "ST" model name.

I wonder why the sporty Edge in Europe (which is powered by a high-output 235hp 2.0 twin-turbo diesel) is only badged as an "ST-Line" instead of "ST" like its gasoline-engine counterpart in North America?

In terms of appearance, they basically look identical.

European Edge ST-Line (diesel)

North American Edge ST

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
In Europe, when Ford decided to make a 182hp diesel version of the Focus ST, they kept the "ST" model name.

I wonder why the sporty Edge in Europe (which is powered by a high-output 235hp 2.0 twin-turbo diesel) is only badged as an "ST-Line" instead of "ST" like its gasoline-engine counterpart in North America?

In terms of appearance, they basically look identical.

European Edge ST-Line (diesel)

North American Edge ST

Probably cause they didn't want to name it STD

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Because the ST badge on a high rider is as a dumb as if Ford put Raptor badges on Fiesta,Focus & Mondeo.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Because the ST badge on a high rider is as a dumb as if Ford put Raptor badges on Fiesta,Focus & Mondeo.
No need to get silly with your analogies.
On road trucks and utility vehicles that lean hard toward sport have been a thing forever. There is nothing wrong with offering an option for fun, or at the least, much more fun.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Call it something else, I have no problem with performance high riders.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts

Says some.
I say Sport Technologies fits much better on this high tech utility..... than RS or SVT or SVO or GT or whatever. Even Sport is just not enough,.
Meh, someone will always be upset.
That much is certain.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Here's Autoblog's take:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/09/2019-ford-edge-st-first-drive-review-643381zx/

They complained about the transmission and said they felt the V6 was slow to accelerate?

Sounds like the opposite of what I've read elsewhere.
Motor1 said pretty much the same thing. Said that the transmission reacts slowly and paddle shifters are useless. Also no amount of summer tires and keep it from understeering. Basically it has a sporty nature while still being a comfortable and useful cruiser, but those familiar with the Focus ST and Fiesta ST will be disappointed.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/268965/2019-ford-edge-st-first-drive/

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Transmission can be a bit lazy in standard D mode, but if crisp shifts, progressive throttle, tighter steering and dampening are desired…ie….during Sporty maneuvering, then the solution is put it in S mode. Far more effective.

As for comparisons to Focus and Fiesta ST in terms of fun, OK, that’s fair. Care to now compare to hauling, roominess, AWD safety and even towing? The Edge ST can actually do it all. So a real world comparison has the Edge dominating.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
All the reviews seem to have the same theme, that Edge ST is solid as a top shelf performance Edge.....but compared to current "ST" products, it falls short in the lateral G meter.

OK, I guess. Is that fair?

I am a shoe fanatic, so I will use shoes as an analogy here, If I may.

Edge ST is like a good pair of trail walking shoes that you can wear all day long, you can take them to the beach, camping, or even light running. All purpose comes to mind. I love my pair, and since I don't run distance any longer, I have little use for running shoes that are only good for one thing.

BTW, if you have never tried Merrell brand shoes like this below, you don't know what you are missing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
All the reviews seem to have the same theme, that Edge ST is solid as a top shelf performance Edge.....but compared to current "ST" products, it falls short in the lateral G meter.
I think the issue is the previous ST models have set the bar a little too high for the Edge ST. Both the Focus ST and Fiesta ST were daily drivers that were an absolute hoot to drive. The Edge ST just seems like a more powerful Edge rather than a true ST, which is more or less what I expected.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
I think the issue is the previous ST models have set the bar a little too high for the Edge ST. Both the Focus ST and Fiesta ST were daily drivers that were an absolute hoot to drive. The Edge ST just seems like a more powerful Edge rather than a true ST, which is more or less what I expected.
It is much more than just a powerful Edge. All the review state that too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts