Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Ford Explorer spied

It may look like the current version beneath the disguise, but it hides the new D6 platform.

These are the first images of an early mule of the 2019 Ford Explorer, spotted tested on the public road in Ford’s hometown of Dearborn, Michigan.

Beneath the heavy disguise, the mule appears to be wearing the current, fifth-generation body. But that body is sat atop Ford’s new D6 platform, which will eventually be pressed into service on a number of Ford and Lincoln models. The current car's D4 platform is also used by the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT.

http://ca.motor1.com/news/127048/2019-ford-explorer-spied-first/

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

I find it interesting that the next gen Explorer will have the same wheelbase as the current model. But it does look like the side indentation is much lower on the mule than on the current Explorer.

It may be that Ford is using the center section of the new model, with the current gen front and back end tacked on.... Similar to the mules we see of the next gen Expedition.

I just hope the next gen Explorer has a shorter dash to windshield area.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I know it's meaningless in current mule form, but I really like how the body sits down on the wheels vs. the current Explorer. Also, with D6 being FWD/RWD capable I'm guessing the Explorer will remain FWD while the Aviator will push power aft, hopefully.

Nice find Jose!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I find it interesting that the next gen Explorer will have the same wheelbase as the current model...

...It may be that Ford is using the center section of the new model, with the current gen front and back end tacked on.... Similar to the mules we see of the next gen Expedition...
*IF* the (c)D6 'philosoform' is still as flexible as originally speculated;
(or as you say, Bloggin :thumb: ) the mid-section might not be from the current vehicle(s),
the wheelbase(s) might still (be) change(d) or be multiple??

rough comparo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I know it's meaningless in current mule form, but I really like how the body sits down on the wheels vs. the current Explorer. Also, with D6 being FWD/RWD capable I'm guessing the Explorer will remain FWD while the Aviator will push power aft, hopefully.

Nice find Jose!
That would allow Lincoln to have their own architecture by it being RWD or AWD, with Explorer offering FWD/AWD. However, the new Audi Q7 has 40/60 AWD standard. With this being a SUV, maybe Lincoln will go the same route. While at the same time the Q7 'wagon' is more like a competitor for a MKT.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No, this is not a D6. Just the dash to axle ratio can probe it. Even the front wheel drive D6 will have a greater radio than D 4 and CD 4.
This is CD 4.2 which is a Chinese Taurus / Continental's architecture derivative which will be the base for the Explorer and the Aviator until D 6.2 is ready and this is not going to happen until 2023 at least for SUV.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Nice find Jose!
Exactly what I thought when I saw it

No, this is not a D6. Just the dash to axle ratio can proof it. Even the front wheel drive D6 will have a greater radio than D 4 and CD 4.
This is CD 4.2 which is a Chinese Taurus / Continental's architecture derivative which will be the base for the Explorer and the Aviator until D 6.2 is ready and this is not going to happen until 2023 at least for SUV.
Do we know this for sure?

Reactions: 2b2

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
No, this is not a D6. Just the dash to axle ratio can proof it. Even the front wheel drive D6 will have a greater radio than D 4 and CD 4.
^
...to me the tester's wheels look like the current Edge's (on the left) = suspicious...
yeah, DID seem early...

...I'm detecting a trend - along with the '''F-200''' WIW (whatever it was) - perhaps the RPR (recent product review) indicates a number of years of Fill-In (not really Stop-Gap) vehicles until the new Architecture starts redefining the BlueOval?
Maybe the RPR was more about adjusting timelines?

·
Registered
44 Posts

All I can say is that the Next Generation Explorer will migrate to CD 4 Architecture. D6 will debut in 2018 as a 2019 MY on the Lincoln MKZ and the Ford Fusion, then it will start moving up and down depending on each model cycle. The MKZ will be RWD or AWD with a longitudinal engine as every other Lincoln develop after the D6 debut. The Fusion/Mondeo will be FWD/AWD with a longitudinal engine. Something similar? Think about the Acura Legend and Vigor, more or less the same proportions.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
All I can say is that the Next Generation Explorer will migrate to CD 4 Architecture. D6 will debut in 2018 as a 2019 MY on the Lincoln MKZ and the Ford Fusion, then it will start moving up and down depending on each model cycle. The MKZ will be RWD or AWD with a longitudinal engine as every other Lincoln develop after the D6 debut. The Fusion/Mondeo will be FWD/AWD with a longitudinal engine. Something similar? Think about the Acura Legend and Vigor, more or less the same proportions.
The Acura Legend had nice proportions for being FWD. The Intrepid was FWD with a longitude engine but had that ugly cab forward design.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
:thumb: &...
...this is reminding me that when CD4 came out (with the 2006-7 S-Max iirc), we heard there would be 10 (TEN) models based on it -
- not that they *meant* some intro'ing in 2018 but, kinda ironic/amusing, no?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

Did an overlay, everything almost exactly lines up. Subtle differences could be attributed to slightly different angle or camera lens.

The question I guess is why are there pre-facelift taillights under the camo, to confuse people?
Perhaps this is a final (2 model year) refresh for the current Explorer? Kind of like what they did with the current Expedition.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Did an overlay, everything almost exactly lines up. Subtle differences could be attributed to slightly different angle or camera lens.

The question I guess is why are there pre-facelift taillights under the camo, to confuse people?
Perhaps this is a final (2 model year) refresh for the current Explorer? Kind of like what they did with the current Expedition.
Regarding the older taillights, if you're just hacking together a mule why not use old stock rather than items that can still be used on new vehicles?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wait ... Fusion will be CD6? Not based on the new C platform? So will The next C platform be only for C and smaller? Will Focus be on CD6?!?!!?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
So this brings me back to what I thought all along, was that the next gen MKZ would be a more direct competitor, going toe-to-toe with the C-Class and 3-Series. Which is where the volume sales are. Which means it has to go RWD/AWD and a bit smaller overall. Which could mean the coupe(and convertible) coming to Lincoln should be based on the next gen MKZ. With both sharing architecture with the next gen Mustang.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wait ... Fusion will be CD6? Not based on the new C platform? So will The next C platform be only for C and smaller? Will Focus be on CD6?!?!!?
Focus will ride on a complete new platform that is being develop in Europe for the entire world, this platform will serve as the base for the K, Fiesta, Focus and all the other derivatives it will have a transverse engine.

Current Fusion rides in a CD4 which is an architecture that serve as a Mid and Full size cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So this brings me back to what I thought all along, was that the next gen MKZ would be a more direct competitor, going toe-to-toe with the C-Class and 3-Series. Which is where the volume sales are. Which means it has to go RWD/AWD and a bit smaller overall. Which could mean the coupe(and convertible) coming to Lincoln should be based on the next gen MKZ. With both sharing architecture with the next gen Mustang.
I am not sure about Mustang as is being developed under the most strict secrecy. I can tell you that it won't be using the D6 architecture. Even though the proportions are RWD the engine will be sitting ahead of the front axle so it can serve as a FWD also. So it will retain it's size, but it will be stiffer and lighter than current MKZ/Mondeo/Fusion. There is a model that will sit below the MKZ but I do not have any info abut it which along with the Aviator and a model on top of the Continental will complete Lincoln line up.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts