Ford Inside News banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
And the Explorer and Aviator should be designed at the same time, so who knows which we are looking at under that current gen body.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
This is such a strange one, it looks like they are camouflaging an existing design. If it's a mule, they usually don't cover it up this thoroughly. If Explorer/Aviator are going on a new platform completely unrelated to D4...then things shouldn't be this clean. Either way, it's a mystery.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
This is such a strange one, it looks like they are camouflaging an existing design. If it's a mule, they usually don't cover it up this thoroughly. If Explorer/Aviator are going on a new platform completely unrelated to D4...then things shouldn't be this clean. Either way, it's a mystery.
Well the wheel wells are cut out to allow for more room.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
There was talk of another refresh for Explorer before its redesign in a couple of years, so it's possible this could be related to that. But it having the 2011 front/rear makes it odd. I suppose it could be just a powertrain mule more than anything.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have truly tried to like the Explorer Sport, and something about it from space utilization to vehicle dynamics has simply caused a bit of a rift between the Explorer Sport, and I. I do applaud Ford offering their CUV with a proper powertrain for those that desire a bit more performance, and that to me has always been a glaring issue with the Lambda CUVs.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I have truly tried to like the Explorer Sport, and something about it from space utilization to vehicle dynamics has simply caused a bit of a rift between the Explorer Sport, and I. I do applaud Ford offering their CUV with a proper powertrain for those that desire a bit more performance, and that to me has always been a glaring issue with the Lambda CUVs.
Yeah, space utilization is an issue with all of the D3/4 platform vehicles.

Reactions: germeezy1

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Yeah, space utilization is an issue with all of the D3/4 platform vehicles.
Actually Flex does it best but that's only because of it's boxy structure

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Actually Flex does it best but that's only because of it's boxy structure

The Flex is notable in many ways in comparison to the Explorer, and to me that even encompasses vehicle dynamics. I have no idea if it is strictly psychological but the Flex drives far better than expected, and the Explorer Sport does not deliver on its promise in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The Flex is notable in many ways in comparison to the Explorer, and to me that even encompasses vehicle dynamics. I have no idea if it is strictly psychological but the Flex drives far better than expected, and the Explorer Sport does not deliver on its promise in my humble opinion.
Yeah, Flexes drive very well, and certainly handle better than you'd think.....dare I say, fun! Haha.

The Explorer Sport does drive well, but it's shorter wheelbase and taller stature don't lend well to handling as well as the Flex does.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Yeah, Flexes drive very well, and certainly handle better than you'd think.....dare I say, fun! Haha.

The Explorer Sport does drive well, but it's shorter wheelbase and taller stature don't lend well to handling as well as the Flex does.
I think adding that it's lower to the ground which helps with its dynamics over the Explorer too.

Reactions: germeezy1

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
41 - 52 of 52 Posts