Ford Inside News banner

2019 Ford Fusion Refreshed

16K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Santiago 
#1 · (Edited)
In a bit of a surprise, Ford has revealed an updated 2019 Ford Fusion with a tweaked front and rear fascia along with Ford's Co-Pilot360 tech standard.

The SE will now come standard with the 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, the 8-inch Sync3 touchscreen, dual-zone automatic climate control and in-car WiFi – all were previously optional. The naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder will now be exclusive to the base S trim level.

The SEL replaces the old SE Luxury package, while the Titanium trim level gets even more standard luxury items, including adaptive cruise control. The 325-horsepower V6 Sport returns and becomes the range-topping model as the $38,000, luxury-lined Platinum trim has been discontinued.

The Fusion Energi adds 20% more range for 25 All-Electric miles.

And as promised, possible Fusion confgurations have dropped from 2,000 to 36.

It's possible Lincoln will reveal a refreshed MKZ of some kind in NY, or at least the standard safety suite will be discretely added.

No word on the 8-Speed transmission replacing the 6-speed in the EcoBoost engines, but we might hear more about that at the final reveal in NY. I suspect that might be put off another year as they ramp up production for those transmissions.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/20/2019-ford-fusion-updates/

See less See more
#2 ·
has anyone had the time/energi/patience to figure out if Lincolns have all the features already??

"...Details about the 2019 Ford Fusion were released today ahead of its official release next week at the New York Auto Show. The styling has been refreshed ever-so-slightly, but the big news comes on the equipment front.

Ford's Co-Pilot360 Protect suite of accident avoidance tech will now be standard on every trim level, including automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot and rear-cross-traffic warning systems, automatic highbeams and automatic wipers..."

#30 ·
has anyone had the time/energi/patience to figure out if Lincolns have all the features already??

"...Details about the 2019 Ford Fusion were released today ahead of its official release next week at the New York Auto Show. The styling has been refreshed ever-so-slightly, but the big news comes on the equipment front.

Ford's Co-Pilot360 Protect suite of accident avoidance tech will now be standard on every trim level, including automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot and rear-cross-traffic warning systems, automatic highbeams and automatic wipers..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRI64dm2vc
does this 360 copilot system has traffic sign recognition? Does Lincoln already have it?

#3 ·
"Fusion Energi’s electric range projected to gain nearly 20 percent

The new Fusion Energi is projected to offer an EPA-estimated electric-only range of 25 miles, which is nearly 20 percent greater than that of the current model. Ford engineers designed a new 9.0-kilowatt-hour air-cooled lithium-ion battery offering greater energy capacity with no change to the physical size of the battery pack."

At .36 mile per kWh, the this new battery pack matches the efficiency of the larger battery pack (9.7 kWh) of the Hyundai Sonata PHEV that offers 27 miles of electric range. Current Fusion Energi battery is 7.6 kWh at the same .36 mile per kWh offering 21 miles.

I think it's great they were able to engineer more power/range out of a battery pack not taking any more trunk apace than the current model before next gen. Checked Ford China where they 'should' be getting the same battery pack in the Mondeo and it 'should' get a 31 mile range (along with making more of the pack available) based on the system in China to be eligible for the new higher government rebates. Mondeo Energi is not on the Ford China website yet that I can see.

It also looks like we will lose the Fusion Energi SE and just have the Titanium model, which should drop in price again.

#5 ·
That tens to be how Ford does it. But here is a challenge....try to find the 2019 Lincoln MKC on the website. One would think it would be right next to the 2019 Nautilus...but it's not. Doing a google search brings up the page, but I don't find a link on the Lincoln website to get to it. Makes me wonder if plans have changed for MKC already....

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not a big fan of the design changes since they seem to muck up a previous redesign that was pretty smart to begin with, those front corners seem to intentionally clash with the design to box out the fascia. The rear looks even more clumsy, especially the weird lower fascia trim that hides the exhaust. I prefer the chrome strip across the back than what they are doing here.

It's funny because in many ways the design changes remind me of the preliminary 2010 Fusion redesign that sported tall triangle-like inserts at the corners of the front bumper which were significantly scaled back in final production when Ford started forcing the trapezoidal details in their corporate fascias.

#10 ·
Looks to me that the budget boys forced the designers to add cheaper looking bits of **** on the front and back.
What a disgusting mess this company is turning into. Cheap ass backwards mess.

#14 ·
I prefer the 2019 to the 2018 design. It tones down the "probe"ish look it got with the widened grill. I am glad they got rid of the chrome strip in the back that looked like they just pasted it onto the previous design.
I still prefer my 2013 as it looks best with the rest of the vehicle, but the update makes it a close call.

#17 ·
The only downside to Fusion right now is that the interior has barely been touched since 2013 and it's definitely noticeable next to the richer and more modern interiors in this segment. Hopefully Fusion gets a healthy price cut or at least better feature value.

#18 ·
So I think the Co-Pilot 360 features are all already available but as options now Ford has made them standard which is nice. I hope to god they all become standard on Lincoln as well.

#20 ·
#28 ·
Not a fan of the new fog lights. Not as sleek looking, but not a deal breaker either.

What I can't believe, however, is that they're still using that **** old school antenna! I'm pretty sure every competitor has a shark fin, and I've seen a bunch of Fusion owners upgrade to an aftermarket shark fin.

Reactions: 2b2
#29 ·
What I can't believe, however, is that they're still using that **** old school antenna! I'm pretty sure every competitor has a shark fin, and I've seen a bunch of Fusion owners upgrade to an aftermarket shark fin.
I have the old antenna, and it has the best reception I've ever had in a vehicle.

#33 ·
I like the newer look. I like the whole front end of this car.

The back end is too boxy. I have the 2-18 Focus EV and they eliminated the chrome lip piece which I think made the last car look cheap.

#35 · (Edited)
Europe also never got our 2017 refresh so things have already diverged, but this will probably be a bigger departure since US Fusion did not receive any of the mechanical upgrades it was scheduled to get along with other Fords, like the new Transmissions and revised engines. I imagine the Mondeo will get the new EcoBlue engines and 8-speed transmission, among other larger improvements.

#36 ·
https://www.autoweek.nl/nieuws/halve-facelift-voor-ford-mondeo/
google translate
Ford gives the Mondeo in Europe a remarkable 'half facelift'. The Mondeo Wagon already gets the tailgate of the facelifted model.
Ford has a remarkable Mondeo policy in Europe. The current generation, called Fusion in the United States, appeared on the market in North America at the beginning of 2012, while we had to wait until 2013 in Europe. Closing Ford Genk, where the car would be manufactured for the European market, meant that in Ford's plant in Valencia, Valencia had to be radically rebuilt to make way for the Mondeo production line. In 2016, the Fusion in the United States already under the knife and in March this year the car was again updated for the American market. In Europe we still do not have a facelifted Mondeo, although Ford has tacitly introduced a kind of 'intermediate version'.

Do not be surprised if you see a Mondeo Wagon with a new tailgate. In the Netherlands, but also in Belgium, Mondeo's Wagon is now running around with a new tailgate, where a wide chrome strip runs over the rear and continues in the rear light units. Indeed, the tailgate that was recently caught on a packed Mondeo. Remarkably, these Mondeo's Wagon at the front not significantly changed. In any case, they do not have the new headlight units that were given a place on Fusion in the United States in 2016. Both the Mondeo Sedan and the Mondeo Hatchback remain optically unchanged.

Inquire at Ford Netherlands that this remarkable series of Mondeo's is an intermediate version, a modified version that meets Euro 6.2 standards. "This change was implemented in June, so the first cars have to drive around in the Netherlands," explains the spokesperson at AutoWeek. "Furthermore, it is mainly a WLTP update, the emissions and the option packages have been adjusted." Ford promises later this year with more information about the fully facelifted Mondeo to come, a bijpuntsession in which the saloon and the hatchback are updated. This complete facelift involves more than the changes on the intermediate version. To be continued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.