Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOST POWERFUL STREET-LEGAL PRODUCTION FORD EVER: ALL-NEW MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 TO ATTACK TRACKS, DRAG STRIPS IN 2019

DETROIT, Jan. 15, 2018 – Loaded with the most venom ever, the all-new Mustang Shelby® GT500® with its 700-plus horsepower supercharged V8 will be the most powerful street-legal production Ford ever.

Embodying Ford Performance team’s motorsport expertise, this new Mustang is engineered to stand apart on roadways and race tracks, thanks to its new innovative track technologies, performance hardware, plus aggressive and functional track-tuned styling.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/01/15/all-new-mustang-shelby-gt500.html

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I don't know why this wasn't shown yesterday.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
A bit odd, maybe cause it is based on the GT350? As far as I know the GT350 hasn't change for the 2018 model
I believe the GT350 wasn't facelifted because it's in its last model year and it arrived later than the rest of the 2015my range. The 2019 GT500 should have technically been the Shelby refresh.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I wonder if they'll slip this in on the first Sunday of the show, they did that last year with the revised Mustang and I missed it because I went Saturday.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’d rather they show it a few months before it’s available—growing tired of them showing a vehicle and then it not hitting the lots for a year+ in some cases.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I wonder if they'll slip this in on the first Sunday of the show, they did that last year with the revised Mustang and I missed it because I went Saturday.
if this Fomoco's new routine: show 3 actual production models THEN put one advance-notice cherry on top...
...I'm OK with that...
I would NOT be ok with them screwing the early show-goers AGAIN

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ford typically like to show their all-new designs and nameplates really early. I suspect it's part of their long awareness building campaigns since they've always done it this way. EcoSport and Ranger are the latest examples of this, they announced the Ranger a year ago, so collectivley it will be over 2 years before it will actually be available for purchase. EcoSport debuted a year before sale and was even featured in a movie that premiered WAY before it was even available. It also helps Ford stem some customer churn if their competitors offer something they can't currently compete with but plan to soon. Alternatively, you don't want to give too much advance notice for MCEs or you choke existing sales.

Ford continues that tradition, by announcing vehicles earlier and earlier, Bronco was announced over 3 years before it's availability and of course we've already heard about their EV plans going into next decade. The 2nd Gen Raptor was revealed at the Autoshow a full 2.5 years before they actually went on sale (Jan 2015 - June 2017). The Model 3 was revealed too close to production by Ford standards, under 2 years from debut to sale. Only difference is that Ford usually meets its targets, but Ford and Tesla are generally the most guilty when it comes to ridiculous lead times. That's why a Ford watcher has far more sympathy (or should!) with Tesla wait times than the average person who expects cars to be available as soon as they are announced.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Yup, if you give them news too soon you are damned, and if you give them nothing until just before, they crave something and complain nothing is coming

They announced a performance BEV, and some complained nothing is in the works and others will complain why do we have to wait.

---Insert mega face palm here---

1 - 20 of 26 Posts