Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was disappointed when the Ranger was killed in 2011 and am thrilled that it is coming back. I have a 2001 Ranger 4X4 that I sort of planned on keeping forever but now there is light at the end of the tunnel! As great as the F150 is, they are just too dang big for what I use a pickup for. Many people think mid sized pickups are about gas mileage and buying cheap. Not me....I would buy a Ranger even if it cost as much as an F150 and didn't get better mileage. Ease of parking, maneuverability, ease of loading, ability to fit in my garage and still be able to walk around it are things that I like.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The global Ranger looks much better in person than in photos. (IMHO) I can't wait for the Ranger to return and take its proper place at the top of the sales charts.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The global Ranger looks much better in person than in photos. (IMHO) I can't wait for the Ranger to return and take its proper place at the top of the sales charts.
I agree, I see the current global Ranger everyday, it looks good in the metal. Plus, it should be getting a refresh/upgrade by 2019 for those who think it might look old by then.

News clip of Ford Philippines taking the motoring journalists off-roading and camping up a mountain in 4x4 Rangers and Everests.

·
Registered
511 Posts
OK time to dispel an internet myth which is being perpetuated in discussions lately.

First off, curb weights of base model
- Chevrolet Colorado as per GM's Press Room Release..LINK
- Ranger weights as per Ford Ranger pdf Brochure.

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 2WD
Colorado 2.5 Auto...............4020 lb/ 1823 Kg
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4190 lb/ 1901 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4460 lb/ 2023 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4319 lb/ 1963 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4431 lb/ 2014 Kg

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 4WD
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4390 lb/ 1991 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4691 lb/ 2128 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4525 lb/ 2057 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4638 lb/ 2108 Kg
Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 TD......4950 lb/ 2250 Kg

When the high series of Chevrolet Colorado is compared to the Global Ranger Wildtrak,
a 400 lbs weight discrepancy is observed because the Colorado's base weight is being quoted.

When we compare Colorado's base model (WT) curb weight with those of the base model Ranger (XL),
that 400 lb weight discrepancy suddenly disappears....and what's more T6 Rangers have been those weights
since 2011, so GM's Colorado has basically caught up but not necessarily surpassed....

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
OK time to dispel an internet myth which is being perpetuated in discussions lately.

First off, curb weights of base model
- Chevrolet Colorado as per GM's Press Room Release..LINK
- Ranger weights as per Ford Ranger pdf Brochure.

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 2WD
Colorado 2.5 Auto...............4020 lb/ 1823 Kg
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4190 lb/ 1901 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4460 lb/ 2023 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4319 lb/ 1963 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4431 lb/ 2014 Kg

Crew Cab 5'2" Box 4WD
Colorado 3.6 V6..................4390 lb/ 1991 Kg
Colorado 2.8 TD.................4691 lb/ 2128 Kg
Ranger XL 2.2 TD...............4525 lb/ 2057 Kg
Ranger XL 3.2 TD...............4638 lb/ 2108 Kg
Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 TD......4950 lb/ 2250 Kg

When the high series of Chevrolet Colorado is compared to the Global Ranger Wildtrak,
a 400 lbs weight discrepancy is observed because the Colorado's base weight is being quoted.

When we compare Colorado's base model (WT) curb weight with those of the base model Ranger (XL),
that 400 lb weight discrepancy suddenly disappears....and what's more T6 Rangers have been those weights
since 2011, so GM's Colorado has basically caught up but not necessarily surpassed....
Exhaust systems and after treatments probably account for about 300lbs when the vehicles are fitted with TD.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Exhaust systems and after treatments probably account for about 300lbs when the vehicles are fitted with TD.
Diesel engines are heavier too.
Based on the 2013 Australian pre-facelift Ranger T6 specs, the 2.5 liter Duratec (gasoline) manual transmission 2WD crew cab model has a curb weight of 1789 kg (3936 lb).

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Diesel engines are heavier too.
Based on the 2013 Australian pre-facelift Ranger T6 specs, the 2.5 liter Duratec (gasoline) manual transmission 2WD crew cab model has a curb weight of 1789 kg (3936 lb).
A 2.5L Diesel stripped down to block, crank, heads, rods, pistons, etc. all weigh about the same as a gas I4 2.5L. They are physically close in size and use similar materials, albeit with a bit more structure in key areas for higher cylinder pressures. The difference would be modest, maybe 20-50lbs, as most extra weight is all the Diesel add-ons and large exhaust systems.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A 2.5L Diesel stripped down to block, crank, heads, rods, pistons, etc. all weigh about the same as a gas I4 2.5L. They are physically close in size and use similar materials, albeit with a bit more structure in key areas for higher cylinder pressures. The difference would be modest, maybe 20-50lbs, as most extra weight is all the Diesel add-ons and large exhaust systems.
I wonder what else makes up the 300lb+ difference between the Ranger XL with a 2.5 Gasoline engine and with the 2.2 diesel.
Tougher engine construction, heavier crankshaft, larger exhaust, turbocharger... I wonder if that would add 300lb.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I wonder what else makes up the 300lb+ difference between the Ranger XL with a 2.5 Gasoline engine and with the 2.2 diesel.
Tougher engine construction, heavier crankshaft, larger exhaust, turbocharger... I wonder if that would add 300lb.
Did not mention turbo system, as I often think of that as part of the exhaust system. But exhaust from head to tip really is heavy for Diesels. That's a big part of it.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I think what will be key to Ranger success, is offering a wide range of models/trim levels. That's been what has key to Ford truck/van sales leadership.

Then there is starting price:

#1 Tacoma: $24,120

#2 Colorado: $20,055

#3 Frontier: $18,390(oldest model)

#4 Canyon: $20,940

#5 Ridgeline: $29,475

Where should Ranger be positioned?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think what will be key to Ranger success, is offering a wide range of models/trim levels. That's been what has key to Ford truck/van sales leadership.

Then there is starting price:

#1 Tacoma: $24,120

#2 Colorado: $20,055

#3 Frontier: $18,390(oldest model)

#4 Canyon: $20,940

#5 Ridgeline: $29,475

Where should Ranger be positioned?
About $5K less than the corresponding F150 XL SC, Super Cab and Super Crew.
F150 XL SC..................$26,730....so Ranger XL SC....................$21,730?
F150 XL Super Cab........$30,790....so Ranger XL Extra cab..........$25,790?
F150 XL Super Crew......$33,245....so Ranger XL Double cab........$28,245?

I've had some feed back that this would be about right with the current market....

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^ it could be that with Tacoma starting at $24k and almost 100k more in sales that #2 Colorado starting at $20k, Ford could undercut the price of Tacoma while being right above Colorado.

2016 had over 400k midsize truck sales.

2017 Ranger really sharpened up it's looks and already looks more F-100.

http://changshuyaozhai.com/2017-ford-ranger/2017-ford-ranger-water-test/

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I like that^, Bloggin :thumb:
F150 XL SC..................$26,730....so Ranger XL SC....................$21,730?

I've had some feed back that this would be about right with the current market....
:thumb:
I'd also like to see Raptor price(s) and top-price$ for any variant$...if someone feels like
(con)figuring
:nerd:

·
Registered
511 Posts
^ it could be that with Tacoma starting at $24k and almost 100k more in sales that #2 Colorado starting at $20k, Ford could undercut the price of Tacoma while being right above Colorado.

2016 had over 400k midsize truck sales.

2017 Ranger really sharpened up it's looks and already looks more F-100.

http://changshuyaozhai.com/2017-ford-ranger/2017-ford-ranger-water-test/
Don't forget that the Tacoma entry point is a Super cab, (not single cab), so perhaps my suggested
Ranger pricing is on the money...I doubt that Ford would get many takers for a single cab Ranger,
it's more the bottom end of the market..

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

The Ranger in the US will also have to be priced competitively against the Chevy Colorado.
The base Chevy Colorado in the US comes with an extended cab and starts at only $20,995.

Technically, this undercuts your projected base Ranger single cab price.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The Ranger in the US will also have to be priced competitively against the Chevy Colorado.
The base Chevy Colorado in the US comes with an extended cab and starts at only $20,995.

Technically, this undercuts your projected base Ranger single cab price.
Agreed they need to be careful about options and trims too and how they advertise otherwise there will be sticker shock for old Ranger Owners.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
It could be that Ranger offering a 'regular' cab option along wit super and double, just as Ford offers the most configurations in trucks and vans, is what could give Ford another edge of the competition. Partly reaching the commercial market.

I see the big standard cab F-150s roaming around the community by the gas and power companies.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
It could be that Ranger offering a 'regular' cab option along wit super and double, just as Ford offers the most configurations in trucks and vans, is what could give Ford another edge of the competition. Partly reaching the commercial market...
I wonder if a 'regular' cab Ranger might make a 2-door Bronco more possible AND VICE VERSA :nerd:

·
Registered
96 Posts

But can they make it uglier than this:grin2:. Sorry for the snarky reply but this is soooo generic looking. I can see why it's a price leader.

Reactions: 2b2

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It could be that Ranger offering a 'regular' cab option along wit super and double, just as Ford offers the most configurations in trucks and vans, is what could give Ford another edge of the competition. Partly reaching the commercial market.
As long as the regular/single cab Ranger will be priced lower than the extended cab Colorado, like maybe price it just under $20K.

Here in the Philippines the Ranger is also offered in lower trims, I guess its good for drawing customers to the dealerships... then most drive out in a high trim variant. Lol

21 - 40 of 479 Posts