Ford Inside News banner

441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My single biggest gripe with the new 2019 Ranger...

It is supposed to be a "lifestyle" vehicle, but the SuperCrew back seats don't lay down flat!?

This is a HUGE issue if you have dry gear or large dogs you travel with. My Sport Trac has 60/40 split rear seats and they fold flat...its perfect!

Ford - how hard is it to make the seats fold flat in back? It will create a ton more utility. Please make it a mid-cycle update so I can replace my Sport Trac.
Do they fold up like F-150/Super Duty?

·
Registered
867 Posts
My single biggest gripe with the new 2019 Ranger...

It is supposed to be a "lifestyle" vehicle, but the SuperCrew back seats don't lay down flat!?

This is a HUGE issue if you have dry gear or large dogs you travel with. My Sport Trac has 60/40 split rear seats and they fold flat...its perfect!

Ford - how hard is it to make the seats fold flat in back? It will create a ton more utility. Please make it a mid-cycle update so I can replace my Sport Trac.
My understanding is the this Ranger is a mid-cycle vehicle of-a-sort and that the next-gen Ranger will be a newly engineered vehicle due in about 3 years. I hope I'm right about this; if not, I'm sure that I'll be corrected.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Evidently demand for the Ranger is huge, per Jalopnik

Remember all of those years when enthusiasts mourned the loss of the Ford Ranger? Our time is now. President of Ford’s North American Operations, Kumar Galhotra, told reporters in Detroit on Wednesday that the company has such demand for the new Ranger that it’s already planning “massive overtime” to meet it. Ford considers its production capacity completely see-saw’d in the wrong direction, per a Bloomberg wire report:

Ford and General Motors Co. are slashing production of sedans and small cars, as automakers struggle with the collapse of demand for the traditional family car that has left them with excess factory capacity to make 3 million of those unwanted models. At the same time, they are boosting production of trucks and sport-utility vehicles to meet booming demand.

Galhotra said Ford is now putting 90 percent of its capital expenditure into producing trucks and SUVs. He didn’t provide further details on the planned production increase for the Ranger.

I’m sure this pendulum will never swing back, and that gas prices will always be low, and Ford will never be caught out again.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Along with radical swings in product offerings at times, comes interesting products. Imagine a world where you just produce the same small, medium and large vehicles with the same name for decades? Sounds like Honda.

Meh, I will take the occasional mis-step in product offerings that comes along with trying out many new and exciting ventures. Risk can be a good thing.

As for Ranger, glad to hear. Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
More on new Ranger success,

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/31/ford-ranger-demand-high-more-production-coming/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016&fbclid=IwAR3RVq7Hw5qcpiynk6jjaUduYsCzHqLcKxrJayPQxa-rfT-dhqR8wwnowF0

The 2019 Ford Ranger has only been on sale for about a month, but sales are already beyond what Ford expected. Demand is so high that Ford is planning to run overtime shifts at the plant, according to an Automotive News report.

Kumar Galhotra, Ford president of North America said this to media yesterday concerning the Ranger: "Based on the orders coming in, and based on the hand-raisers, we think the demand's going to be so strong, that starting in February our assembly plant will be going into massive overtime."

More at link above......

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
All this success for Ranger, imagine how people will react with new Bronco and small Bronco. It certainly won't hurt having a fresh new Escape and Explorer in the mix as well. And of course all the hybridization. My point, I think that in the near term as sedan sales which generate almost no profit exit the showroom, Ford brand will have plenty of high margin products back filling the vacuum. In the long term, nobody knows. Yet.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I got to sit in 2 different models Rangers this weekend. Seemed like a nice little truck. To an enthusiast who knows, you can tell it uses some ROW components not originally intended for the US, but I doubt the average buyer will know or care. So in that sense, the interior was nice. The first one I sat in was an XLT....seemed nice inside, I didn't look at the sticker. The second was a Lariat model which had a nicer interior, stickered for $44K before the sleazy dealer "new vehicle markup" of $10K and their "paint protection package" that brought it to $55K.

It was odd these days to see a non-dampered tailgate, and the lack of a sunroof option is disappointing, but I think it'll do well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got to sit in 2 different models Rangers this weekend. Seemed like a nice little truck. To an enthusiast who knows, you can tell it uses some ROW components not originally intended for the US, but I doubt the average buyer will know or care. So in that sense, the interior was nice. The first one I sat in was an XLT....seemed nice inside, I didn't look at the sticker. The second was a Lariat model which had a nicer interior, stickered for $44K before the sleazy dealer "new vehicle markup" of $10K and their "paint protection package" that brought it to $55K.

It was odd these days to see a non-dampered tailgate, and the lack of a sunroof option is disappointing, but I think it'll do well.
The lack of sunroof option is highly disappointing, especially for an "active-lifestyle" vehicle

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
No open roof option? i'm surprised. As for the price, yeah, I have been quite vocal for years about how a Ranger makes little sense based on price, until I realized that people just want the manageable size. I am shopping for a counter depth fridge at the moment, and you literally pay many hundreds more, for less space. I just have to scratch my head.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
To an enthusiast who knows, you can tell it uses some ROW components not originally intended for the US, but I doubt the average buyer will know or care.
As someone who sees RoTW Rangers everyday, the US version looks very familiar to me, particularly the interior.

US Ranger

RoTW Ranger

the lack of a sunroof option is disappointing, but I think it'll do well.
Based on its first month, it seems to be doing well.
No sunroof = one less thing to break. :D

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Does it offer a power rear window? I have never owned a truck with a sunroof, but they pretty much all had power sliding rear windows, which I loved. Functional too.
I don't think so. I think they're all manual. I know the one in the XLT I sat in was manual. I didn't sit in the back of the Lariat to look, but I seem to recall reading it didn't have a power rear window too.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That's a shame. Even the Sport Trac had a power rear window.
...the only thing sliding rear windows ever got me was broken-into. Plus, if you use your truck as a truck, when you open the window, whatever used to be in the bed is all over the inside of the cab. I prefer not having them.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
...the only thing sliding rear windows ever got me was broken-into. Plus, if you use your truck as a truck, when you open the window, whatever used to be in the bed is all over the inside of the cab. I prefer not having them.
How is a power rear sliding (upward) window more theft prone than any other power window?

·
Registered
276 Posts
My 2008 Sport Trac has a power rear window, sunroof (both standard!), Independent rear suspension, and great interior room....come on Ford, it's 2019!

441 - 460 of 481 Posts