Ford Inside News banner

61 - 80 of 152 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
^ Agree about some re-design = FLincmoco has been using like a square-rectangular "beam" Look in the sheetmetal just above the rocker area (see Mustang too) which imho adds a lot of un-needed weight visually
STOP IT!!

...I do think white is probably not the best color for this test though.
I agree color is crucial
fer instance, I truly LIKE the look of never-really-Black cladding WITH true Black paint
...giving a sort of industrial-gray (formal) accent.
Kinda wondering if a co-ordinating LIGHTER color for cladding could work?
...'course for white or very light colors::dunno... maybe a brushed alu??

The F-Pace is longer (most of the additional length up front) and a dark color so it minimizes the vehicles height. With the shorter MKX, especially in light colors it would end up looking fat.
in many/MOST fotos, imho the E-Pace looks like a chubby BRICK
:surprise2:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
^ Agree about some re-design = FLincmoco has been using like a square-rectangular "beam" Look in the sheetmetal just above the rocker area (see Mustang too) which imho adds a lot of un-needed weight visually
STOP IT!!

I agree color is crucial
fer instance, I truly LIKE the look of never-really-Black cladding WITH true Black paint
...giving a sort of industrial-gray (formal) accent.
Kinda wondering if a co-ordinating LIGHTER color for cladding could work?
...'course for white or very light colors::dunno... maybe a brushed alu??

in many/MOST fotos, imho the E-Pace looks like a chubby BRICK
:surprise2:
Buick used a light silver on some trims of the original Enclave.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Buick used a light silver on some trims of the original Enclave.

that's gray, not SILVER (NOR even Paint afaik) >> s'why I said brushed alu >
> sparkle,sparkle,shine&gleam
otoh
for a subtle 2-tone paint-effect rocker-theme, remember the original Lexoid LS?
2 points to first FiN-er who posts a pic
:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts

The refresh for MKX needs to get as close to the concept as possible, with minimal black cladding and the new face.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm gonna be a bit contrarian here. It's clear that the MKX and all other Lincoln CUVs will get the new "face" but do they have to be exactly the same? I've heard the claim that many of the luxury brands are same sausage different sizes. Without the very subtile differences, it's difficult enough to tell the MKC from the MKX unless they are side-by-side.

As Lincoln tries to shine-up the image of its CUVs perhaps a few more boldly different design cues could go a long way to getting away from the cookie-cutter effect. It's bad enough that they didn't come up with something more original for the new face but I'd like to see some variation in the grille design from model to model.

IMO, the new face on the MKZ was not a design success. What looks natural on the Continental looks like an afterthought on the MKZ (oh ... it was) and - I'm afraid - I think it doesn't look especially great on the Navigator. Sure it's better then the wing-grille but that was a low bar to hurdle on the Navi.

To me, the rounded facia (plan view) was an asset on the MKX. The new face has a flat aspect that may not translate well on a refresh - sort of like the MKZ. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I actually like the new MKX fascia after catching a glimpse of unmasked prototypes over the weekend. We should see photos soon if they are watching. Weirdly I think it matches the body better than the last design. It seems the rear end was designed for this fascia, it matches the overall shorter and taller SUV look better. It looks a bit like a Navigator but with more dramatic lighting fixtures, but it has a distinctly fresher look than the Continental or MKZ. The final version without the camo paint may change my mind since I'm inferring some of the details from a matte paint. But overall it looks more upscale and a little more like a Volvo or Audi SUV but without some of the whimsical details I like about those designs. It doesn't remind me of a Jaguar at all but it does have a noticeably sunken grille, although once chromed it may not look as sunken. My only instinct is to say they need to shrink the grille down but I like the new sculpting around the lower bumper under the grille, an improved variation of the Continental I think. Either way, not the words best looking SUV but with the right wheels I think this looks more aggressive and sporting than the softer look of the last one.

I noticed no changes to the rear btw.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I'm gonna be a bit contrarian here. It's clear that the MKX and all other Lincoln CUVs will get the new "face" but do they have to be exactly the same? I've heard the claim that many of the luxury brands are same sausage different sizes. Without the very subtile differences, it's difficult enough to tell the MKC from the MKX unless they are side-by-side.

As Lincoln tries to shine-up the image of its CUVs perhaps a few more boldly different design cues could go a long way to getting away from the cookie-cutter effect. It's bad enough that they didn't come up with something more original for the new face but I'd like to see some variation in the grille design from model to model.

IMO, the new face on the MKZ was not a design success. What looks natural on the Continental looks like an afterthought on the MKZ (oh ... it was) and - I'm afraid - I think it doesn't look especially great on the Navigator. Sure it's better then the wing-grille but that was a low bar to hurdle on the Navi.

To me, the rounded facia (plan view) was an asset on the MKX. The new face has a flat aspect that may not translate well on a refresh - sort of like the MKZ. Just my opinion.
You can't tell the MKC from the MKX?

I actually like the new MKX fascia after catching a glimpse of unmasked prototypes over the weekend. We should see photos soon if they are watching. Weirdly I think it matches the body better than the last design. It seems the rear end was designed for this fascia, it matches the overall shorter and taller SUV look better. It looks a bit like a Navigator but with more dramatic lighting fixtures, but it has a distinctly fresher look than the Continental or MKZ. The final version without the camo paint may change my mind since I'm inferring some of the details from a matte paint. But overall it looks more upscale and a little more like a Volvo or Audi SUV but without some of the whimsical details I like about those designs. It doesn't remind me of a Jaguar at all but it does have a noticeably sunken grille, although once chromed it may not look as sunken. My only instinct is to say they need to shrink the grille down but I like the new sculpting around the lower bumper under the grille, an improved variation of the Continental I think. Either way, not the words best looking SUV but with the right wheels I think this looks more aggressive and sporting than the softer look of the last one.

I noticed no changes to the rear btw.
Good to hear that it looks good. I'm definitely interested to see what it'll look like.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I actually think the new face will look pretty good on there.
I agree, I think the new face will actually look better on the CUVs than it does on the sedans. I think it will also transform their look from a Buick/Oldsmobile level vehicle to the look of a truly premium brand. The split wing was a really nice and original design, but it never screamed premium.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The MKX grill looks tall like the navigator.
I wonder if the refresh would get an interior with the design language of the Conti and the Navigator. if they didn't it would get very long in the tooth.

Do you guys think there will be a badge on the side of the MKX like on the Continental and Navigator? You couldn't see it on the spy shots of those cars

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think it looks much more premium, but it's heavier and boxier up front visually. It's not something I am personally excited for at all but I think it's the right direction for them. It's a design that won't look right with the smaller wheels however.

They 2019 is expected to arrive in a little over a year according to my dealer, so expect it very late 2018. MKC will probably arrive around the same time if not sooner.

BTW, what are the sales on the F-Pace? I just saw a dozen of them scattered throughout my city today. I see them constantly!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do you guys think there will be a badge on the side of the MKX like on the Continental and Navigator? You couldn't see it on the spy shots of those cars

Probably not, only the vehicles with actual names will be getting the side badge, as far as I know. So when the Aviator is released it'll probably have a badge to line it up with the Navi and Conti.

61 - 80 of 152 Posts