Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2019 Silverado is official.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/13/2019-chevy-silverado-1500-100-years-old-and-all-new/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000015

Quick points
-Mixed material construction, Aluminum swing panels (doors, hood, gate) and the rest all steel. Shaved off 450lbs
-New 3.0L I6 Diesel which they promise will be much better than the Ford, but no details
-Updated V8s with smarter cylinder deactivation (can run on only 1-cylinder in certain circumstances)
-10 Speeds ATX with the "best 10-speed implementation in the industry"
-First power tailgate (open and close) - button on the lift-gate and fob
-Best interior ceiling height
-Bed is strengthened steal Alloy for the strongest bed in the market "Can't get stuff done with an aluminum hammer"
-Over a dozen tie down hooks in the bed
-Bed has largest capacity in the segment because of smaller wheel arches thanks to a new fender assembly design
-Proximity sensors are located in the larger bumper steps instead of the taillights like the Ford "no dead space"
-6 new trim levels, 6 engines overall
-Wheel base is 4 inches longer but truck is only 1-inch longer, front wheels moved further forward which creates more room in the cab.
-The flowing sheetmetal sculpting is designed to improve aerodynamics

Medium duty news will be announced at some trade show in March and Sierra will be announced at a later date.

Love the look of the truck outside, inside still has that weird protruding pod thing going on that I hate but it's way better than Ford's dated interior. The new RAM will definitely win the interior design award this season. Plenty of nice innovations in the Silverado but it's hardly the moonshot that the F-Series was in 2015. Although F-Series design is tired, it's a more interesting piece of engineering. It's remarkable how fundamentally different Ford and GM are when it comes to truck engines.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's one of those front ends that outweighs the truck unless you get the nicer trim package, bigger tires, etc.

Also, I still see a column shifter in the high-trim examples...not sure if that means nothing is getting a console shifter but that would be amusing if it doesn't.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I didnt like the red one we already saw, but didnt hate it. Seeing these other trims, it looks terrible. That base model is hideous.....they relegate the Chevy emblem to the corner of the grille?

Did they even change the interior? Its still ugly.

The power tailgate is neat

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know if they stopped redesigning at the interior phase...but I love the exterior! I think it looks great. I love how styled it is, and how big, aggressive, and masculine it looks. The only think I don't like about the exterior is the tailpipes. Overall, great job.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's a little over-styled, but I can see why Chevy felt the need to go bold. Look what it did for Dodge/Ram all those years ago. Generally speaking, I like, but don't love, the exterior. I don't much care for the interior. The less-than inviting cockpit might not be a deal-breaker, but it certainly doesn't say "gotta have it" either. I'll bet they aren't taking any chances with the oil-burner. I expect the inline six turbodiesel to offer best in-class everything except possibly fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Can't wait to study peoples reaction at the show
It's definitely a love it or hate it design. For all but the base models I have to admit I really like the exterior. It's a busy, yet aggressive look that resonates well with me. The interior though, puke!

I noticed Borg's comments regarding the column shifter, I don't really have an issue with it and am always surprised by how much attention it gets. I like a nice, solid console shifter as much as the next guy, but the column shifters and rotary dials are a far better use of space. I'm not bothered by any of the three options.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
It's definitely a love it or hate it design. For all but the base models I have to admit I really like the exterior. It's a busy, yet aggressive look that resonates well with me. The interior though, puke!

I noticed Borg's comments regarding the column shifter, I don't really have an issue with it and am always surprised by how much attention it gets. I like a nice, solid console shifter as much as the next guy, but the column shifters and rotary dials are a far better use of space. I'm not bothered by any of the three options.
Of the 3, column is my least favorite by far. I am used to rotary now, tepid at first, but will always be my first choice.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What is with GM and the column shifter? They won't budge on that.
Possible reason may be that they might want to offer a front bench seat for some work trucks.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Possible reason may be that they might want to offer a front bench seat for some work trucks.
You can still do that with a rotary knob

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
the exterior is ok in the top versions (not sure if I like it or not), the base models look bad.......the interior doesn't look good at all.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This has a better looking exterior than the Ram, but the interior looks like a two decades old Buick.

Reactions: falcon lover

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
2019 Silverado re-Revealed? O-Rly?

AlexOnAutos on FB

It appears that GM is investing in Delphi/Tula's cylinder skipping technology in a big way with the new Silverado. Both V8 engines will feature what GM is calling "Dynamic Skip Fire". This is a firm step beyond cylinder deactivation which GM and others have used for a while.

In current deactivation systems the same cylinders are deactivated each time making a V8 into a V4 for instance. This can only be used in situations where power requirements are low and the harmonics of a V4 don't disturb the cabin too much. Cylinder skipping on the other hand skips any number of cylinders in a firing order. For instance: firing one cylinder, then skipping two, then firing one, skipping two, etc. This allows a V8 to operate on a single cylinder if needed, all 8 for maximum power or anywhere between.

The result is a system that produces fewer unwanted harmonics thereby allowing a broader range of situations where it can be used. The key questions of course will be reliability and efficacy, will the improvement in furl economy be worth it? GM is saying we should see a 15% gain from DSF in their new pickup trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: 2019 Silverado re-Revealed? O-Rly?

AlexOnAutos on FB

It appears that GM is investing in Delphi/Tula's cylinder skipping technology in a big way with the new Silverado. Both V8 engines will feature what GM is calling "Dynamic Skip Fire". This is a firm step beyond cylinder deactivation which GM and others have used for a while.

In current deactivation systems the same cylinders are deactivated each time making a V8 into a V4 for instance. This can only be used in situations where power requirements are low and the harmonics of a V4 don't disturb the cabin too much. Cylinder skipping on the other hand skips any number of cylinders in a firing order. For instance: firing one cylinder, then skipping two, then firing one, skipping two, etc. This allows a V8 to operate on a single cylinder if needed, all 8 for maximum power or anywhere between.

The result is a system that produces fewer unwanted harmonics thereby allowing a broader range of situations where it can be used. The key questions of course will be reliability and efficacy, will the improvement in furl economy be worth it? GM is saying we should see a 15% gain from DSF in their new pickup trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8CcfYC3Cs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sybz7f34h-M

So I guess with direct injection it stops the gas injection also. They are talking some serious savings so I imagine it works.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
^ maybe read Alex's FB page - sounds like GM did a hit-&-miss job with deactivation
tho Chrysler's is more reliable
The 2019 Silverado has a stubby profile, tall short hood and a long cargo box with tall walls.
These odd proportions allow it to have the biggest cargo box volume.

2019 Silverado
Short: 63 cubic feet
Standard: 72 cubic feet
Long: 89 cubic feet

2018 F-150
Short: 53 cubic feet
Standard: 62 cubic feet
Long: 77 cubic feet
- https://www.equipmentworld.com/chevy-lays-claim-to-pickup-bed-crown-as-2019-silverado-tops-ford-ram-in-cargo-space/

Do you guys think this will affect the F150's dominance in the full-size pickup segment?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It's always hard to predict but I think F-150 is particularly vulnerable right now against the triple threat of Chevy/GMC/RAM which are all outstanding catch-ups to the Ford. Ford's SuperDuty business however is probably stronger and closer to a refresh to coincide with the arrival of more Medium Duty competition.

F-150 is just much farther away from a new design so it's going to be the old kid on the block for a number of years so presumably that will either come with better deals or fewer sales. I think GM's Full-Size truck business has a chance of overtaking Ford once again in the interim but I doubt one brand will overtake it.

Either way, Ford has some outstanding new Trucks coming to widen that gap again and to match some of the nicer amenities of the new guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts