Ford Inside News banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It's always hard to predict but I think F-150 is particularly vulnerable right now against the triple threat of Chevy/GMC/RAM which are all outstanding catch-ups to the Ford. Ford's SuperDuty business however is probably stronger and closer to a refresh to coincide with the arrival of more Medium Duty competition.

F-150 is just much farther away from a new design so it's going to be the old kid on the block for a number of years so presumably that will either come with better deals or fewer sales. I think GM's Full-Size truck business has a chance of overtaking Ford once again in the interim but I doubt one brand will overtake it.

Either way, Ford has some outstanding new Trucks coming to widen that gap again and to match some of the nicer amenities of the new guys.
Have any further info there you can share?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The 2019 Silverado has a stubby profile, tall short hood and a long cargo box with tall walls.
These odd proportions allow it to have the biggest cargo box volume

Do you guys think this will affect the F150's dominance in the full-size pickup segment?
Tall walls on the cargo bed may be helpful on a few occasions, but it may also make it more difficult for some people to reach over the sides to access their equipment.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
It's always hard to predict but I think F-150 is particularly vulnerable right now against the triple threat of Chevy/GMC/RAM which are all outstanding catch-ups to the Ford. Ford's SuperDuty business however is probably stronger and closer to a refresh to coincide with the arrival of more Medium Duty competition.

F-150 is just much farther away from a new design so it's going to be the old kid on the block for a number of years so presumably that will either come with better deals or fewer sales. I think GM's Full-Size truck business has a chance of overtaking Ford once again in the interim but I doubt one brand will overtake it.

Either way, Ford has some outstanding new Trucks coming to widen that gap again and to match some of the nicer amenities of the new guys.
F-150 is more vulnerable right now than in any other moment in the past 10 years. The new Ram and the new GM’s trucks are very capable and good trucks.

But the real problem is that Ford depends too much of this product. Now, the only vehicle making money is the big BOF truck ( F series, Navigator/Expedition). Ford can stop to build all others vehicles, and the finances will go better than now. That is a big problem.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Tall walls on the cargo bed may be helpful on a few occasions, but it may also make it more difficult for some people to reach over the sides to access their equipment.
Everyone complained when the F-150 had tall bed walls, now it's ok?

Reactions: 70 Stang

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Have any further info there you can share?
Besides the Hybrid transmissions (3.5L EcoBoost) and new Vertical dashboard screen and HUD, I don't know much about the new F-150 beyond the code and the fact it's all-new arriving sometime in 2020 for the 2021MY. There are mules out there now running with P552 bodies which is going unnoticed...amusingly. Hopefully they'll get more attention soon since I'm sure it will help discourage defection to the new cross-town trucks.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
F-150 is just much farther away from a new design so it's going to be the old kid on the block for a number of years so presumably that will either come with better deals or fewer sales.
Ford kept the nice proportions of the previous steel F150 but did they also retain the old dimensions?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Besides the Hybrid transmissions (3.5L EcoBoost) and new Vertical dashboard screen and HUD, I don't know much about the new F-150 beyond the code and the fact it's all-new arriving sometime in 2020 for the 2021MY. There are mules out there now running with P552 bodies which is going unnoticed...amusingly. Hopefully they'll get more attention soon since I'm sure it will help discourage defection to the new cross-town trucks.
I wonder if it'll be like the '09 redesign where the cab remained the same but the front/rear/quarter panels change

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
The new F-150 does get a new product code, that typically doesn't happen with just an MCE but it's certainly possible the cab will be carried over unless it fails to meet an important competitive metric which I don't think it does. The bed definitely needs to be re-engineered for durability and capacity so I expect that entire assembly to be all-new. We probably won't see a departure in terms of design since Ford has never strayed too far from it's simple industrial aesthetic on F-Series which works for them and their aluminum construction. Either way, I would expect something all-new until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Bed height is increasing about 1 1/2" going from 21" to almost 22 1/2" as long as the load is properly secured, minimal benefit.

GM's typically sit lower, I can't reach and touch the bed-floor of my F150, but a Silverado, no problem. (currently both are listed as 21" deep)

Everyone complained when the F-150 had tall bed walls, now it's ok?
GM's short-bed have a couple inch advantage, the extra width and depth adds little value, unless you are hauling pool water in your bed.

I'll have to do the "grab a empty beer-can from the bed test" when the new Silverado comes around; I have to fight to get it in my F150.

Reactions: Logans Run
21 - 31 of 31 Posts