Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Cadillac XT6 Brings Three Rows Of Seats To The Luxury Crossover Party

Set to be shown at the North American International Auto Show, the XT6 is a three row crossover that will slot in between the smaller XT5 and larger Escalade. It sports a unique design as it wears an Escala-inspired grille which is flanked by standard LED headlights. Designers also installed in vertical LED daytime running lights and numerous “bright galvano” accents.

More at: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/2020-cadillac-xt6-brings-three-rows-seats-luxury-crossover-party/

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a mix of Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia and Honda Pilot.
If this outsells the Aviator, then Lincoln should follow Mercury to the grave

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree that the XT6 was phoned in and the Lincoln Aviator is superior in every way....however, Caddy still has a good reputation and Lincoln is still building their's back up (and doing a fantastic job!), I wouldn't be surprised that the XT6 outsells the Aviator based on past reputation alone.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
however, Caddy still has a good reputation and Lincoln is still building their's back up (and doing a fantastic job!), I wouldn't be surprised that the XT6 outsells the Aviator based on past reputation alone.
The problem is that we keep saying that! Caddy has a good reputation and that is the explanation for everything, and in part it is true, but Lincoln's reinvention started in 2013, 6 years ago, it's been a while. They now have good products, it's time for some marketing strategy. As far as I remember, Cadillac didn't take that much time to have a good reputation.
The XT4 is already outselling the MKC, the Slade outsells the Navi (and best Lincoln so far) and I'm not even talking about the XT5 and MKX/Nautilus. I think that there is not enough effort, it feels like Ford doesn't really care, or know how to manage a luxury brand or anything else aside from the Mustang, F150 and Explorer.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The problem is that we keep saying that! Caddy has a good reputation and that is the explanation for everything, and in part it is true, but Lincoln's reinvention started in 2013, 6 years ago, it's been a while. They now have good products, it's time for some marketing strategy. As far as I remember, Cadillac didn't take that much time to have a good reputation.
The XT4 is already outselling the MKC, the Slade outsells the Navi (and best Lincoln so far) and I'm not even talking about the XT5 and MKX/Nautilus. I think that there is not enough effort, it feels like Ford doesn't really care, or know how to manage a luxury brand or anything else aside from the Mustang, F150 and Explorer.
It doesn't matter what we automotive enthusiasts know. Most of these crossovers will be sold to non-enthusiasts and to most of them the Cadillac name remains more prestigious than Lincoln. I will not be at all surprised to see the XT6 outsell the Aviator. In theory though, if Lincoln continues to deliver superior products like the Navigator and Aviator a shift in perception, and hopefully sales will follow.

As for the XT6 itself, to my eyes it looks like the Volvo XC90 with Cadillac details. I don't hate it, but neither do I love it. There is nothing about this that would have me considering it over an Explorer Platinum, much less the Aviator. Stil, it's going to sell well.

Soooo, are we going to rehash the platform sharing benefits like we did in defending Lincoln for the past decade? D6 was developed with a full range of products in mind, but then Ford dropped all sedans so it no longer has the same volume benefits to offset it's greater cost. I'm not complaining because I'm so happy to see Ford/Lincoln on this side of that equation for once. But if we're being honest it's going to be a **** of alot easier for Cadillac to make a profit on the XT6 than it will be for the Lincoln on the Aviator. Rumor has it that that is all that matters.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I mean it screams GM and imho doesn't look all that "lux" or "premium" but I think the front end is quite handsome and the vehicle is overall sharp. Not gonna spend my money on it but it's certainly not ugly.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
This Cadillac will compete well with the new..... Explorer! The Aviator is far superior than this XT6. The exterior design , the interior and the power plants. 400 hp vs 365 of the Cadillac!

Nice try, Cadillac, but you finished 2 step behind Lincoln.

·
Registered
866 Posts
IMO, the XT6 is a good effort by GM. I don't think it rivals the Aviator in style or substance but I applaud Cadillac for its restraint in its exterior design. I don't think that they "phoned in" this design. What would be said here if they came out with Lexus or Infiniti-style excess?

They used what was given them (FWD) so inherently XT6 is dynamically inferior to the Aviator. Most Americans won't know or care about that so it's back to style and substance. Aviator wins hands down. Unfortunately, Ford had let Lincoln's cachet fall so low that this weaker, less capable vehicle has a good chance to beat Aviator in the sales race. Since it's all about product, however, Lincoln is finally putting up a good fight and may yet rise to pre-eminence based on product superiority.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe most people would agree that the Aviator is by far the superior product, Lincoln's real problem is image and public perception of the brand itself.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I believe most people would agree that the Aviator is by far the superior product, Lincoln's real problem is image and public perception of the brand itself.
The only way Lincoln will improve their public perception is by consistently delivering new products that live up to and exceed the standard set by the Navigator and Aviator. The Nautilus is nice, but wasn't going to change anybody's mind. Their next chance to show they're serious will be the Corsair, hopefully this recent trend continues.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I believe we can now say that perception lags reality for Lincoln.
Conti offers as much or more luxury than any other Caddy sedan.
Navigator offers more luxury than any Caddy large SUV
Aviator offers more luxury than any Caddy mid SUV
Even Nautilus is quite the handful for respective Caddy CUV
Soon, Corsair will be revealed and I bet it brings Lincoln's latest A game.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I believe we can now say that perception lags reality for Lincoln.
Conti offers as much or more luxury than any other Caddy sedan.
Navigator offers more luxury than any Caddy large SUV
Aviator offers more luxury than any Caddy mid SUV
Even Nautilus is quite the handful for respective Caddy CUV
Soon, Corsair will be revealed and I bet it brings Lincoln's latest A game.
....now that they killed the CT6, yes, but the CT6 vs. Conti is the opposite of the XT6/Aviator. Aviator is a proper RWD/AWD luxury SUV. The XT6 is an upshared platform sibling that barely separates itself from its brethren. CT6 is a proper RWD/AWD luxury sedan and the Conti is an upshared platform mate. As long as Lincoln continues using proper platforms, like CD6, they have an advantage. The Aviator is proof of that. Now, give us a proper CD6 Conti Mark, maybe even as an A7type expressive sport luxury 5 door and leave a longer WB version as the Town Car. Then Lincoln would be seriously on top of their game.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
....now that they killed the CT6, yes, but the CT6 vs. Conti is the opposite of the XT6/Aviator. Aviator is a proper RWD/AWD luxury SUV. The XT6 is an upshared platform sibling that barely separates itself from its brethren. CT6 is a proper RWD/AWD luxury sedan and the Conti is an upshared platform mate. As long as Lincoln continues using proper platforms, like CD6, they have an advantage. The Aviator is proof of that. Now, give us a proper CD6 Conti Mark, maybe even as an A7type expressive sport luxury 5 door and leave a longer WB version as the Town Car. Then Lincoln would be seriously on top of their game.
I was talking luxury. Conti felt more luxurious than CT6. Many have said that in the past. Which is amazing, considering what Lincolns started with.

Again my point, Lincoln luxury perception lags reality.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I was talking luxury. Conti felt more luxurious than CT6. Many have said that in the past. Which is amazing, considering what Lincolns started with.

Again my point, Lincoln luxury perception lags reality.
...mostly. The Aviator isn’t here yet. It will go a long way towards squaring up perception and reality. And hopefully they have a trick up their sleeve to get the public talking more about them.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
:surprise2: Oh! Cadillac and Kia are sharing some body parts of its 3 row seats crossovers. Here the Kia Telluride and the XT6. Look at the rear quarter, the form of the 3rd window and the D pillar... they share those parts! >:)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This is a mix of Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia and Honda Pilot.
If this outsells the Aviator, then Lincoln should follow Mercury to the grave
I'm sure XT6 will outsell Aviator. As others have pointed out, Lincoln has only recently with Navigator and Aviator (and to a lesser extent, Conti) started to get people's attention back.

Cadillac's been working on reinventing itself since what, 1999 with the original CTS? That gives them a massive head start with public image. As someone pointed out, perception lags reality, and it's just going to take time for that to correct itself - and it'll also take Lincoln continually and consistently pumping out great product. They can't go through product lulls.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts