Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I think MKC's refresh will be a short one. 2 model years at most.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think MKC's refresh will be a short one. 2 model years at most.
And that's fine with me as long as they get the styling in line with the rest of the lineup.

I wonder if the refresh will fix the center dash looking like a urinal. Probably not maybe make use of better materials like the MKZ refresh but I would still like to see that center console redone.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Kuga may arrive later than Escape, but we are still pretty early on in terms of the Escape mules running around so we still have a couple of years of development.

MKC could arrive a model year later and go on hiatus like the MKX.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The good news in the article are not the new Escape/Kuga , the best news are the new crossover to compete directly with the compact Ateca/Tiguan and other crossovers that today are smaller and cheaper than the Kuga in Europe. The C-Max need to evolve into a SUV/crossover, and Ford understand that. I can't wait for this vehicle...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The good news in the article are not the new Escape/Kuga , the best news are the new crossover to compete directly with the compact Ateca/Tiguan and other crossovers that today are smaller and cheaper than the Kuga in Europe. The C-Max need to evolve into a SUV/crossover, and Ford understand that. I can't wait for this vehicle...
I believe this is the last of the 4 new SUV nameplates we're waiting to see in the US (EcoSport, Bronco, Model E, and C-Max replacement). Although I suspect this will be the basis of the Model E. The C-Max was already a Focus/Escape based crossover of a sort so the relationship will be similar just better styled and packaged.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
And that's fine with me as long as they get the styling in line with the rest of the lineup.

I wonder if the refresh will fix the center dash looking like a urinal. Probably not maybe make use of better materials like the MKZ refresh but I would still like to see that center console redone.
I doubt we'll see a whole lot of change on the interior for both MKC and MKX. Probably similar to MKZ with some improved materials and the new switchgear.

MKC could arrive a model year later and go on hiatus like the MKX.
Yeah that sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Alternatively the MKC could move to Chinese production exclusively, I suspect the new Lincoln being built there will be a next-gen MKC but it doesn't really line up with the timing. I still think there is something odd about the MKC schedule considering how recently it was developed relative to the Escape...there is a 2 year gap between them which is huge from an investment standpoint. And the MCE is for MY 2019, Ford never puts money into something and shortens the lifecycle, never. I'm really curious to see how this is resolved.

The C-Max replacement would also make for a good platform for a Lincoln MKA, I think this is one of the 2 vehicles we have yet to see for Lincoln. Ford/Lincoln is one of the few companies without a luxury crossover in this space and it's probably the best way to gain entry-level customers and grow their sales. They still need to resolve their tiny MKC before that product makes sense however.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I wonder if the refresh will fix the center dash looking like a urinal. Probably not maybe make use of better materials like the MKZ refresh but I would still like to see that center console redone.
pic of 2010 Lexoid ES dash "your welcome"...for my not hot-linking pic

...The C-Max replacement would also make for a good platform for a Lincoln MKA, I think this is one of the 2 vehicles we have yet to see for Lincoln. Ford/Lincoln is one of the few companies without a luxury crossover in this space and it's probably the best way to gain entry-level customers and grow their sales. They still need to resolve their tiny MKC before that product makes sense however.
I hope they apply the MKC to the smaller and use another (maybe MKG) for the slightly larger replacement...
...can charge more that way >:)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Alternatively the MKC could move to Chinese production exclusively, I suspect the new Lincoln being built there will be a next-gen MKC but it doesn't really line up with the timing. I still think there is something odd about the MKC schedule considering how recently it was developed relative to the Escape...there is a 2 year gap between them which is huge from an investment standpoint. And the MCE is for MY 2019, Ford never puts money into something and shortens the lifecycle, never. I'm really curious to see how this is resolved.

The C-Max replacement would also make for a good platform for a Lincoln MKA, I think this is one of the 2 vehicles we have yet to see for Lincoln. Ford/Lincoln is one of the few companies without a luxury crossover in this space and it's probably the best way to gain entry-level customers and grow their sales. They still need to resolve their tiny MKC before that product makes sense however.
Yeah, MKC needs to grow before that move makes sense. MKC is already a bit tight in the rear legroom for something to slot under it.

pic of 2010 Lexoid ES dash "your welcome"...for my not hot-linking pic

I hope they apply the MKC to the smaller and use another (maybe MKG) for the slightly larger replacement...
Why is that different than MKC being bigger with something slotting under it?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...I hope they apply the MKC to the smaller and use another (maybe MKG) for the slightly larger replacement...
edit said:
& easier imho
Why is that different than MKC being bigger with something slotting under it?
MKC is established as the baby Lincoln
&-imho they could keep the price unchanged ... for a smaller (lesser) vehicle
rather than
have to
-- try to boost a larger MKC's price, WHILE
-- having to intro a new baby
besides
it would keep a "low letter" on the baby & allow a higher letter, closer to 'X' for the in-between model
:nerd: ( and I like the sound of 'MKG' >:) )

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
MKC is established as the baby Lincoln
&-imho they could keep the price unchanged ... for a smaller (lesser) vehicle
rather than
have to
-- try to boost a larger MKC's price, WHILE
-- having to intro a new baby
besides
it would keep a "low letter" on the baby & allow a higher letter, closer to 'X' for the in-between model
:nerd: ( and I like the sound of 'MKG' >:) )
It's no difference than any other models growing and increasing in price.

CR-V bumps up and HR-V slots in under it

Escape > EcoSport

etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
MKC and Escape are undersized for their modern competitors so it's really a simple matter of moving them to the next-gen and growing them up. This is a typical pattern, you rarely shrink a car unless you change its name (or you're Chevy). This leaves room for a new crossover at both Ford and Lincoln just below in price and size.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
and what are you gonna call the Lincoln?
and why waste all the unused letters between C & X?
edit
and '''Gee, the old MKC started under $33k and they want over 36 for this'''
when
imho
the slot between the current C & X needs to directly target the MACAN...

...& Lincoln will need all the help it can get doing that

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
and what are you gonna call the Lincoln?
and why waste all the unused letters between C & X?
edit
and '''Gee, the old MKC started under $33k and they want over 36 for this'''
when
imho
the slot between the current C & X needs to directly target the MACAN...

...& Lincoln will need all the help it can get doing that
With "MK_" going away, it won't matter which ones are unused.

And the price increase happens with every car every time they're redesigned....it's not like a jump in MKC would be any different than any other vehicle.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
iirc only MKZ is getting new nomenclature
&
imho, it'll be a miracle if FLincmoco can come up with reasonable new names
( I'm remembering how the Merc-focus was gonna be called "Tracer"
)
Tracer wasn't necessarily a bad name it had some history dating back to the 80s and several generations. But to the first part if MKZ is the only one getting a name change the MKC and MKX will really be out of place with an Aviator coming on board along side a Navigator.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
iirc only MKZ is getting new nomenclature
&
imho, it'll be a miracle if FLincmoco can come up with reasonable new names
( I'm remembering how the Merc-focus was gonna be called "Tracer"
)
Not sure where you heard that, unless you're referring to the articles that said MKZ was getting discontinued, but didn't mention anything else.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think Lincoln needs to stay with the MK names on popular products, unless they drop those products and move them to something else. Aviator is still forum speculation, it could very well be called something else...but I would frankly be surprised. I think Lincoln will eventually exit the sedan business except for the Continental and focus entirely on Crossovers and SUVs with maybe a flagship EV sedan or crossover, not to mention autnomous. Ford would probably like to get out of the sedan business entirely but that's a generation away and I'm sure it'll be something of a slow death like Taurus. Lincoln will probably need their sedans longer than Ford however, we are already seeing that with Continental.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts