Ford Inside News banner

161 - 180 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It looks much smaller to me, but that coiuld be the less chunky design. On the bright side, it looks really happy.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Looks pretty good. The only thing I don’t like is the expected location of the registration number on the grille in EU-spec.
The number plate will most likely be placed on the space between the upper grille and lower intake like this.

I don't think it will be entirely on the grille like the pre-facelift Mk3 Focus ST (that one really bothered me lol).

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
My initial reaction was this thing is to soft looking and the face is to cutsy for a crossover. I've always prefered a more boxy truck like feel of the first gen Escape so this is really 180 degrees opposite from that.

My reaction after a couple days is that I really, REALLY hate the face on that car, but every other angle is really attractive. I also think with the Baby Bronco coming to provide a more rugged style crossover in this same size segment, moving the Escape to a softer more car like look makes a lot of sense, especially considering Ford is ****canning all their cars sans Mustang. I'm not the target buyer for this product, but I can see the logic in it and expect it will sell very well, and the combination of this and the Baby Bronco cover all the bases and should make big money for Ford!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My initial reaction was this thing is to soft looking and the face is to cutsy for a crossover. I've always prefered a more boxy truck like feel of the first gen Escape so this is really 180 degrees opposite from that.

My reaction after a couple days is that I really, REALLY hate the face on that car, but every other angle is really attractive. I also think with the Baby Bronco coming to provide a more rugged style crossover in this same size segment, moving the Escape to a softer more car like look makes a lot of sense, especially considering Ford is ****canning all their cars sans Mustang. I'm not the target buyer for this product, but I can see the logic in it and expect it will sell very well, and the combination of this and the Baby Bronco cover all the bases and should make big money for Ford!
That's exactly it - with "Maverick" coming to fill the boxy, more masculine look, they can make Escape look softer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any speculation on the engines? I would expect the 1.5EB I-3 as standard with possible options being a hybrid and/or the 2.0L EB I-4.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
One thing I noticed even in the older spy photos, the tires look narrower than the 235s on the outgoing model.

Overall the 2020 Escape looks ok, I just wish the grille was a bit higher.

------------------------------

I also think with the Baby Bronco coming to provide a more rugged style crossover in this same size segment, moving the Escape to a softer more car like look makes a lot of sense, especially considering Ford is ****canning all their cars sans Mustang.
Not in Europe, assuming this will also be the next Kuga which will be sold alongside the Focus Active.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any speculation on the engines? I would expect the 1.5EB I-3 as standard with possible options being a hybrid and/or the 2.0L EB I-4.
For Europe I think that the 1.0EB 3cyl. with 125hp will be the basic engine.
(the one you don't want to have, but needs to be there for entry price level ... and that will accelerate the vehicle just well enough in about 12s from 0 to 100km/h.)
Most competitors also start with 115/120/130hp.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The face of the new Escape/Kuga is the same as that off the face of the new Fiesta or the new Focus. IMO, is very attractive. For those who want something more rugged , the Maverick (baby Bronco) will satisfies them.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Have to say, the old Escape looks better.
The criticism of the old Escape pre-facelift was that it was too soft, too feminine. The facelift squared off the face quite a bit and gave it a more rugged look that crossover buyers seem to prefer. As I said before, with the Baby Bronco in this same segment it makes sense for the Escape to embrace the female buyer who prefers cute rather than rugged.

All that said, I think the current Escape has a better looking face, but from every other angle the new Escape looks better.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I dislike all the trapezoids on the current Escape (as well as the Fusion), and the new one looks better to me. Probably will cost more than I would want to pay.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I dislike all the trapezoids on the current Escape (as well as the Fusion), and the new one looks better to me. Probably will cost more than I would want to pay.
I liked the pre-refresh face better, and the refreshed rear better.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The criticism of the old Escape pre-facelift was that it was too soft, too feminine. The facelift squared off the face quite a bit and gave it a more rugged look that crossover buyers seem to prefer. As I said before, with the Baby Bronco in this same segment it makes sense for the Escape to embrace the female buyer who prefers cute rather than rugged.

All that said, I think the current Escape has a better looking face, but from every other angle the new Escape looks better.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Having this look much softer while its platform mate (Maverick?) will have a more rugged look, this will help to differential the two for different shoppers. Still I think this softer, more Focus like lends itself better to an ST model.

161 - 180 of 263 Posts